New GM Top 100 - how many have you played?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have played Machrie (pre updates), Castle and Rosemount , all very enjoyable courses but I would not rush to play Castle off season , it's longish anyway and on loamy soil so may not be at it's most enjoyable in wet conditions.

Personally I've played 30 of the courses and enjoyed them all, always found good golf courses enjoyable and not particularly bothered about the rank order or the fact that a few other equally good courses may not be on the list. It's a useful list of courses which most golfers will thoroughly enjoy though the excercise may have the unfortunate side effect of putting up the prices.

D

Deleted member 21258

Up to 76 now. Had another great year hacking around some very nice courses.

Didn't get to play a few that I thought I would play.

Will do a few more next year and if I get over to the west coast of Ireland I may get another few more in.

Have managed to play quite a few that are not even close to the top 100 or the next top 100 and boy do we have some lovely courses in the UK.

What ones you playing, You going to get to Tralee ? (jealous, would love to go back there)

Do you think there are any you wont get to play in the top 100 ? (surely only a couple of years away for you to complete them all?)

Some of the most memorable courses I have played, are not even in the top 5 in their county, but were great fun/views/crazy holes!

sunshine

Visit site
Is that Western you mean? From memory (a hungover one) they are next door.

Western gailes is a cracker and a Half.

Very warm welcome and a totally fantastic course that I could play everyday. It carves its way through the dunes in an intimate and very natural feeling way (yes I’m feeling nostalgic ?)

Dundonald was a very different set up.

Felt vast in comparison but equally as good from a visual and golf challenge perspective.

As good as western and 100% better than many others in the bottom half of the 100.

Top 50 everyday for me.

Perhaps it’s because their is no clubhouse currently? I’m totally guessing at selection criteria though

I have a vague recollection of discussing this on here before. The judges won't give a high rating to any course that has a portacabin clubhouse. Even if it's the best course in the world. I thought they were rating golf courses, but apparently the quality of the pint and club sandwich is just as important.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a vague recollection of discussing this on here before. The judges won't give a high rating to any course that has a portacabin clubhouse. Even if it's the best course in the world. I thought they were rating golf courses, but apparently the quality of the pint and club sandwich is just as important.

To be fair. The Portacabin they have was better than some bricks and mortar Clubhouses.

D

Deleted member 23270

Is that Western you mean? From memory (a hungover one) they are next door.

Western gailes is a cracker and a Half.

Very warm welcome and a totally fantastic course that I could play everyday. It carves its way through the dunes in an intimate and very natural feeling way (yes I’m feeling nostalgic ?)

Dundonald was a very different set up.

Felt vast in comparison but equally as good from a visual and golf challenge perspective.

As good as western and 100% better than many others in the bottom half of the 100.

Top 50 everyday for me.

Perhaps it’s because their is no clubhouse currently? I’m totally guessing at selection criteria though
How many top 100 courses have you played? There are some stunning courses in the list, the standard is incredibly high.

D

Deleted member 23270

Wrong. The criteria is in the courses section of the website.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How many top 100 courses have you played? There are some stunning courses in the list, the standard is incredibly high.

I’ve listed earlier in the thread.

I’ve played enough of the bottom 50 to know Dundonald is more than worthy.

It spanks plenty of the higher 100 and I’ve played enough of them to warrant an opinion.

Question to you. Have you played Dundonald?

D

Deleted member 23270

I’ve listed earlier in the thread.

I’ve played enough of the bottom 50 to know Dundonald is more than worthy.

It spanks plenty of the higher 100 and I’ve played enough of them to warrant an opinion.

Question to you. Have you played Dundonald?
Playing it on Wednesday for the first time.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
15 for me.

Muirfield
Royal Birkdale
Turnberry
Sunningdale old
Sunningdale new
Royal Liverpool
Walton Heath old
Hillside
Formby
Western gailes
Silloth on Solway
The Machrie
Gullaine
Machrihanish
The belfry brabazon

I tell you what. I cannot believe Dundonald is not included. Top 75 (Maybe 50) for me. Cracking course.

Id expect it will be next time once the clubhouse opens