New Father Tips

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Couldn't be bothered to read through all the posts, but some good ones already in there, but my top tip is :-

You know those little bottles of food you can buy when they start on solids? NEVER WARM THEM UP. They can be eaten cold, check the labels. Sure it might seem heartless, but the baby doesn't know they can be warmed up and will eat them cold, so this means that when you are out somewhere and realise you've forgotten to bring one you can just walk into any shop, get one and feed baby. no hassle no mither no nowt. Job done!

BoadieBroadus

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
all kids are different so hard to know what will work when it comes to sleeping feeding etc.

if i had one rule for a first time dad it would be not to martyr yourself by being awake in the night just because mum and baby are. you can do your bit in the day time and take the baby out in the pushchair and let mum get some rest.

use your time to make industrial quantities of bolognese / chilli etc and keep in the freezer so you are never stuck for a hearty meal.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Couple of things I just remembered, might seem a little bizarre.

Get this App: http://huggamind.com/product.php?cid=2

Ignore the nonsense about brain development. It's just a fancy baby rattle really, it uses very high contrast shapes and symbols that are easy to see. Anyway, when all else failed in consoling our daughter we used to show her the slideshow of that App and it always calmed her down and put her into a lovely sleepy mood.

You won't believe how much babies like playing with phones & tablets. I was massively resistant at first, but with supervision, they are incredible pacifiers. Buy all the Peppa Pig episodes and have them on standby on your phone. Honestly, when you feel the meltdown coming, give them the phone with an episode of Peppa Pig and it's like a flipping miracle of peace and happiness.

jdpjamesp

Q-School Graduate
www.jdpalmer.co.uk
As we all know this place smashes mumsnet when it comes to giving our advice for every single situation in life so...

In May I'm going to become a father for the first time to a little girl

What tips , hints , helpfully antidotes , things to buy , etc would a new father need ?

It's probably been said by others already as I'm late to the party. The single most important thing you can do for your little one is make time for them. I hate to say it, but family trumps golf. If you don't make the time for the kids they'll be grown up and gone before you know it and you'll regret it. You'll still have golf (and other things) when they're gone.

D

Deleted member 21258

All the best and hope the birth goes well for your wife/partner.:thup:

The energy from young ones is just so amazing, oh to bottle it.

Enjoy, make as much time as possible to spend with them and I hope you have a 'girl' that isn't too much trouble!

And learn on the job, did I say enjoy the sleepness nights, the worry, the cost and the poo:D but its fun and brilliant watching them grow up.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
As we all know this place smashes mumsnet when it comes to giving our advice for every single situation in life so...

What tips , hints , helpfully antidotes , things to buy , etc would a new father need ?

No tips, mother nature made sure you will look after your child. Just a comment: Get ready for the best thing that ever happened to you. Its really the meaning of life.

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
advice from father of 2 - daughter is 3, son is 3 months

1. very important - pack a towel in your car for the journey to the hospital
I ended up delivering my son in the passenger seat of my car on the A317. A towel would have saved the mess going everywhere

2. could be helpful - we downloaded a white noise app (sleep bug) when my daughter was born. Would make her nod off every time we put it on.
However, our son doesn't even seem to notice it.

3. joke When she is born, say to the doctor "hey, what's wrong with his thing?".

4. most important - make sure your mrs is ok. Hormones can be off the scale, so you need to look out for baby blues / post-natal depression.
It can be pretty tough for the first few months; the tiredness can be really difficult for everyone.

5. and finally... congratulations and good luck. Daughters are great.

Scoobiesnax

Assistant Pro
Visit site

G.U.R

Head Pro
Visit site
As people have said parenting is a very personal thing, but as a father of a 22 year old and identical 17 year old girls, we found getting into a routine early makes all the difference. Also if you bottle feed invest in a decent flask so no boiling the kettle during the night.

All the best and enjoy it, before you know it they are grown up and you wonder what all the fuss was about.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Cherish every second, buy shares in Calpol and stay patient. You'll figure the rest regardless of what anyone says.

Watch for post natal depression - I was woefully uninformed (why would I have known, looking back) and never really believed it could happen... It's tough but gets better with loads of support.

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you want my advice, resign from the golf club and spend the first ten years of weekends with your kids rather than on the course.

That is what I did and I think it was the right thing to do in hindsight. They are only young once and it goes past in what seems like the blink of an eye.

Yup, I did the same thing, quit my golf membership for 10 years. I never regretted it then, and never have since. Golf is great, but bringing up children that depend on you is so fulfilling. And golf is a sport that is so easy to get back into, unlike taking 10 years out from rugby etc

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Phil, when I see you at the club this weekend, I'll give you and your Mrs my wife's mobile number. She's a Special Care Baby Unit sister, and will answer any questions or worries you have before or after the birth. Especially useful when you just need some reassurance at the end of the phone.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
My tip is to know where your nearest 24 hour supermarket is. You will make many a trip in the first 2 months.

Mine is now 17 months so it's still fresh in my mind.

My other tip is don't strive for equality with a partner, strive for balance. Know who is doing what when and it all works out.

U

User62651

Remember breast is best, particularly at 3am feeds.;)

Once they start moving independently move everything of value at least 3 feet off the ground.

Would re-iterate the speed they grow up - frighteningly quick, dont miss it. I told my Mrs to forget work until the youngest was 5 years old ready for primary, just enjoy being a mum, was difficult financially but worth it emotionally.

I had an enforced layoff from golf for injury reasons and it was a good thing in many ways, spent all that time with the kids instead. Now my two are 10 and 7 and already have some 'attitude' and don't need us anything like they did. I'm getting back into golf this year, feel fine about a few hours off on a Sunday now and hopefully I can encourage the kids too in time so its something we can do together.

Accept/encourage help from relatives, even short breaks of a few hours are good to get some time with just you and your partner away from the little one.

As someone else mentioned when number 2 or 3 come along its old hat, so much easier.

Be kind to your Mrs when the kid prefers you - girls like their dads and boys like their mums!:p

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Answer all their questions no matter how small and irrelevant it seems at the time.

If you wont talk to them about the small stuff then they won't want to talk to you about the bigger stuff when they are older.

Enjoy every moment.

D

Deleted member 18588

Just saw an ad for this app, looks good for timeline of baby pics and more. Not used it or associated to it.

https://m.lifecake.com/

It may be different with girls but our experience with our sons and their mates (all now 30+) there was no interest in photographic reminders of their childhood.

Made us wonder why we had bothered.

Last edited by a moderator: