New Father Tips

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
U

User62651

Get an estate car - prams, travel cots and high chairs take up a lot of space.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Get an estate car - prams, travel cots and high chairs take up a lot of space.

Now I'm gonna disagree here! I find it so funny with mates having kids now they all jump and buy a huge estate! Absolutely no need to, Pushchair and associated junk will fit in any car. I only have a massive car now as I need 6 seats, but even when we had 3, I drove a 3 series saloon and the wife had a clio then an Astra hatchback.

It's a kid, not a dog. You do not need an estate!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It may be different with girls but our experience with our sons and their mates (all now 30+) there was no interest in photographic reminders of their childhood.

Made us wonder why we had bothered.

My daughter is coming up to 15. She loves looking at baby photos of herself, loves it. My son, 17, is not bothered at all. However, we love looking back so if neither cared it would still have been worth it for us alone.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
i forgot to say. when they are very young be prepared to be headbutted in the face ALOT!! big head, small body is a bad recipe.

and then you can look forward to constantly being ill as children seem to breed illnesses.
11 years in the fire service and I've had 2 periods of sickness in 8 years. my daughter is almost 3 and in the last 3 years I've had 7 periods of sickness

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
these where recently on watchdog saying they breed bacteria and the filters weren't doing their job after 2 uses.

:( cheers mate, I'll have a look into this. A quick Google shows TT have refuted it (of course they would)

Back to the walk down two flights to the kettle!

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
:( cheers mate, I'll have a look into this. A quick Google shows TT have refuted it (of course they would)

Back to the walk down two flights to the kettle!

i would have no problem using one. bacteria? i once caught my daughter supping water out of the dogs bowl. she's still alive!! chases alot of sticks though

we used to boil a jug of water and then leave it in the fridge. make up a bottle then microwave

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
1. Breast is best

2. Start getting used to having a lot less 'free' time.

What is the "free time" you speak of?

Actually ours is a gem for bedtimes, been putting himself to bed for months now.

My secret was at 6 months to invest a huge amount of effort setting up a good bedtime routine.

Took me two weeks of practically sleeping on his floor, near the end I could commando crawl out, by the end I could just put him down in his cot and leave, voila sleeping baby.

Had a hiccup after he went to Canada at 9 months but since around 11 months he has been brilliant. Usually sleeps from 6pm to 6am. Had one month were 13 hours asleep was frequent. The downside was he gave up a second day nap at a year... now he just grabs an hour at the most late morning then powers on till bedtime.

White noise is good but don't rely on it, the best bedtime routine is the simplest. We can take ours anywhere or do anything now and he just sleeps.

D

Deleted member 1740

Congrats Phil, my best advice is buy Dr Brown bottles, expensive but well worth it.

The first couple of months was the hardest part for me, broken sleep to a light sleeper is pure torture.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
1. Breast is best

Says who? with a bottle you can measure exactly how much they have had, share the load, get 100% of the nutrients etc required. OK it works for some not others, just because the govt say its best doesn't mean it is for everyone.

There are many reasons why breast is not best for a lot of women/babies and to have the disapproving eyes and comments when bottle feeding really does not help. And yes, that really does happen! All of my 4 were bottle fed and are perfectly fit/healthy/smart/happy.

As per anything with kids and the point of this thread, there is no single right answer. By nature, we are all different.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
The wifes tip is ROUTINE. You would not believe the stories she tells me about the women at work and the bedtime troubles some of them have. From very ones coz the children won't go to bed to the one where the mother has to go to bed with the child and lie with them until they go to sleep. This child is FIVE !

Oh, I'd add in, do not buy them electronic game consoles of any kind. They can get addicted to them and throw tantrums when you take them from them.

Mark_Aged_42

Assistant Pro
Visit site
While you have the time and energy, cook some decent meals and put them in the freezer. You will not believe how knackered you and your Mrs will become.
So having good food ready made will be a great boost for your spirits.

U

User62651

Says who? with a bottle you can measure exactly how much they have had, share the load, get 100% of the nutrients etc required. OK it works for some not others, just because the govt say its best doesn't mean it is for everyone.

There are many reasons why breast is not best for a lot of women/babies and to have the disapproving eyes and comments when bottle feeding really does not help. And yes, that really does happen! All of my 4 were bottle fed and are perfectly fit/healthy/smart/happy.

As per anything with kids and the point of this thread, there is no single right answer. By nature, we are all different.

Pretty sure it was only a joke - new dad gets to sleep through! Nothing to do with judging anyone's parenting credentials!

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site

its not just the government that say its better. they'd make more money on tax selling the formula. there are many independent research papers available to read all confirming that breast milk is better
its scientifically proven that the mothers breast milk during the first two weeks contains shed loads off antibodys to map out the baby's immune system. i must have read 100's of papers on the subject. in America they've also shown that breast fed babies are less likely on a massive scale in developing IBS in later life.

as for not measuring it..... express the milk and put it into a bottle. now you can measure it and dad can now help with the feeds.

i get that some women can't but to choose not to for no specific reason is selfish in my opinion. anything natural has got to be better than powdered cows milk.

oh, and you save a shed load of money

can you list some of the reasons why breast isn't best please

Last edited:

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
its not just the government that say its better. they'd make more money on tax selling the formula. there are many independent research papers available to read all confirming that breast milk is better
its scientifically proven that the mothers breast milk during the first two weeks contains shed loads off antibodys to map out the baby's immune system. i must have read 100's of papers on the subject. in America they've also shown that breast fed babies are less likely on a massive scale in developing IBS in later life.

as for not measuring it..... express the milk and put it into a bottle. now you can measure it and dad can now help with the feeds.

i get that some women can't but to choose not to for no specific reason is selfish in my opinion. anything natural has got to be better than powdered cows milk.

oh, and you save a shed load of money

can you list some of the reasons why breast isn't best please

My wife breastfed our first for 12 months.
And is 3 months into breastfeeding our second (which she will do for a year).

Our attitude is 'the research says breastfeeding is better' but even if they are wrong, why take the risk?
We want to give our two kids the very best opportunities in life. That's all we want.

I do appreciate some women can't breastfeed and I spoke to my wife about that and said 'if you can't, don't beat yourself up about it'.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I always find the sleep thing funny. Those that have kids that sleep think those that don't are stupid and doing things wrong and those that have kids that won't sleep realise those that have ones that do have no idea what it is like.

I have 2 boys one aged 10 and the other 6.

My eldest dropped his 2 hour day sleep at 6 months old and never slept through the day again. He also never slept through the night once until he was 6. Even now he doesn't sleep that well. He goes to bed between 7.30pm and 8pm and gets to read for 30 minutes. He normally falls asleep by 9.15-10pm. He wakes up at 6am every day the same as he has done since he was a baby. When he was a baby you got 3 hours before he woke up until he was 6 after that he would only wake up once or twice a night until he was about 8. It was hell for a while.

My youngest who is 6 goes to bed at 7.30pm and sleeps until 7am every day no issues ever. Never wakes up, was out of nappies at night by 3 unlike my eldest who was 8. We tried everything on the eldest and none of it worked at all. I mean we spent years trying stuff and now we accept he just doesn't need the sleep. He is top of his class at school, works really hard and is super well behaved so he isn't tired at all.

So what I am saying is if your child sleeps through the night from an early age really appreciate it, it is super and realise that there are a lot of people who don't get that at all. Even now though he is a good boy he cannot help but make a racket at 6am, you know going to the toiled and dropping the seat or banging a door I mean he's a kid but we haven't had any sort of a lie in for over 10 years now.