New European Tour Website design Oh Dear

Visit site
All sorted now

Agreed. By the end of the BMW the live scores were updating within seconds of seeing a player finish a hole on TV, well ahead of the Golf Channel. The website also generally speeded up compared to the first day of the tournament so hopefully the site will be usable for this week's tournament.
That said, I still dislike the new design for reasons like the complaint mentioned above about the scorecard panel taking up the entire screen when you go there from the leaderboard. Unnecessarily flashy and the fact that they still haven't sorted out access to the account area after all this time is just pathetically incompetent.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I still don't get an option to highlight players from the leaderboard.
I hate the new site.
What were they thinking?

Visit site
I still don't get an option to highlight players from the leaderboard.
I hate the new site.
What were they thinking?

Well I'm assuming that's only because you are unable to log in to your account at the moment. When you try they're still giving you the message "We're working as quickly as possible to restore access to the account area." All I can deduce is that whoever is working 'as quickly as possible' cannot be much good at their job.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well I'm assuming that's only because you are unable to log in to your account at the moment. When you try they're still giving you the message "We're working as quickly as possible to restore access to the account area." All I can deduce is that whoever is working 'as quickly as possible' cannot be much good at their job.

You don't know what you're talking about. User account management is incredibly complex at this scale, and if there's something wrong in the back-end, or something is causing issue there it will take time to fix, properly test and deploy.

Visit site
You don't know what you're talking about. User account management is incredibly complex at this scale, and if there's something wrong in the back-end, or something is causing issue there it will take time to fix, properly test and deploy.

Exactly why they should have introduced the new website as an optional beta alternative, without removing the old site until all the bugs were ironed out. Other websites have done this, such as howdidido and they also deal with constant live updates (of members handicaps & results).

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not as easy as that in every case, could easily have been storage limitations, especially given the HUGE amounts of data the European Tour site has to deal with. Then, as mentioned earlier in the thread, it's also very likely that the bugs didn't show themselves until the new site was moved into a live environment. I'm sure the guys working on it will have it working soon enough, and as people continue to use the site, it will grow on them. Personally, a couple of UI bugs aside, I love the new design, they've done a great job.

Visit site
Personally, a couple of UI bugs aside, I love the new design, they've done a great job.

Fair enough. I respect your opinion and although that would appear to be a minority one on this forum such a minuscule sample can hardly be considered as an accurate reflection of the many thousands, if not millions, who use the website.
So tell me, where exactly did the old website fall down? It provided me with all the information I wanted and I can't think of any specific failings. The one improvement I've always wanted to see was a live play by play shot tracking record and graphics display for each player on every hole, the way they do on on the pgatour website leaderboard but the new site hasn't encompassed that.

Radbourne2010

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mmksolutions.co.uk
Received this notice earlier today from ET via their email shot:
'Last week we launched new apps and a new website but, unfortunately, we encountered serious technical issues which affected the performance of both. We apologise for the inconvenience this caused our fans and we assure you we are working hard to bring all the features you enjoy back on line. Thank you for your patience.'
I think that's fair enough as they've held their collective hands up & promised it won't happen again. If only Politicians could be so contrite...:rolleyes:

Visit site
I received the same email and nowhere does it promise that it won't happen again. Sounds very much like the politicians to me. Their equivalent of the politicians waiting a couple of weeks until the excuses run out and no one else can be made to take the blame, then a bland apology talking about 'working hard to fix' and 'lessons will be learned etc'.

D

Deleted member 15344

I received the same email and nowhere does it promise that it won't happen again. Sounds very much like the politicians to me. Their equivalent of the politicians waiting a couple of weeks until the excuses run out and no one else can be made to take the blame, then a bland apology talking about 'working hard to fix' and 'lessons will be learned etc'.

What else did you expect them to say or do ?

It's just an issue with a website - it's not really that big a deal in the grand scheme of things

Visit site
It's been intermittent all day. Somestimes just not updating regularly, other times down for five or so minutes at a time. It also swapped style about an hour ago, albeit for the better as they've moved the R2D and WR columns to the left side where they used to be and got rid of that ridiculous R4, R3 etc in front of the hole number under the holes played, which made it unfriendly to instantly see what hole a player is on.
It is working fine right now but no longer showing how long ago since being updated, although it is updating regularly.

Visit site
Just noticed that the stats information under each player, showing driving distance etc and which was available earlier today before they changed the format midway, is no longer available.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Well I can log in now but still couldn't select players from the leaderboard. I can follow generically I think only 3 players, every time I try to add more they just remove the previous ones! Also, I can't find a way to the Fantasy League through the app site?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Whilst the main site seems to have settled (still don't like the design)
Wanted to get an update on the Paul Lawrie match play last night. Went to my iPhone opened the app and was prompted to download an update, which I did.

Now the app doesn't work, it opens , but when you hit "leaderboard" it closes immediately
Grrrrrr

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Hate it. Used to visit the ET site almost every week, and several times a comp if it was a big one. Think I've visited just a few times since the update.

Not sure what beta testing they did, if any, but someone needs roasting gently at gas mark 7 for releasing something that is so flawed.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Agree that it's still horrid. It seems slightly quicker than it was, but maybe you just get used to it. Still hanker after the old one. Straight to the leaderboard. Job done.

If you want to try something really horrid, try the solheim cup one. Tried to find the scores last night and gave up after ten minutes. It really was that bad. Ridiculous really.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Agree that it's still horrid. It seems slightly quicker than it was, but maybe you just get used to it. Still hanker after the old one. Straight to the leaderboard. Job done.

If you want to try something really horrid, try the solheim cup one. Tried to find the scores last night and gave up after ten minutes. It really was that bad. Ridiculous really.

You were lucky. Struggle to get the leaderboard and takes ages to do anything or move from screen to screen on my phone in particular. Very poorly designed and surely the ET are aware it's causing problems