Euro Tour Event Entry List Categories

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site
On reading the thread about Sam Hutsby just missing out on retaining his tour card by a few thousand euros it brought one of my gripes about the European Tour Categories for entering an event

Have a look at the entry list, on the official site, for this weeks Abu Dhabi championship and you will see that the challenge tour graduates and Q school qualifiers (of which Sam was one last year) will not be playing as they are ranked in Category 10 and 11 respectively. Those who are ranked cat 8 (kept thier card last year) walk into this event. Looking at some of the names here and you will think that many of them should be ranked no better than some of this years graduates(some of whom have had top 20 finishes in South Africa) already.

It tends to be the bigger purse events, like the Abu Dhabi championship, Qatar Masters, PGA etc that the Graduates miss out on making it an big disadvantage against those who have just managed to keep there cards. It’s hard enough to find your feet on tour without being at a disadvantage like this. I can’t help but feel that this approach may stifle new talent coming through. I have even heard today that Marc Warren has received a late invite. He is a previous tour winner but he LOST his card last year. What right does he have to play before any of this years graduates?

Rant over

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
But why should someone who came top 25 in an event to get your card (an event that is full of golfers of a lesser calibre) get in, while guys that retained their card playing events that have, for the want of a better phrase, 'real' golfers in miss out?

I don't really understand your problem?

As I have said before,make it top 80 retain the card and this would pave the way for more chances for guys who haven't got their cards or have got in through Q-School to play.

With regards to Warren he should have no rights to play.

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site
But why should someone who came top 25 in an event to get your card (an event that is full of golfers of a lesser calibre) get in, while guys that retained their card playing events that have, for the want of a better phrase, 'real' golfers in miss out?

I don't really understand your problem?

As I have said before,make it top 80 retain the card and this would pave the way for more chances for guys who haven't got their cards or have got in through Q-School to play.

With regards to Warren he should have no rights to play.

I am not saying those who retained their card should miss out but i know a line has to be drawn somewhere or the fields will be too big.

I just feel those who have earned their cards don't deserve to be handicapped at the start. Journeyman pro A who has retained his card well down the rankngs does not deserve better status than young golfers coming through. Let them have equal opportunities and if the youngster fails so be it.

I like the idea of a top 80 tbh, seperate those from the Q school graduates but rank 81-116 along with the graduates.

T

thecraw

Sorry Stuart,

Sam Hutsby like my mate Mr Forsyth had the opportunity last season to secure there cards on the Tour, if they had done so they would have been playing again this week in Abu Dhabi.

Hopefully they will win back their cards via the Challenge Tour and learn from the experience just like Molinari did. Sometimes its a case of one step back and a big huge f#@k off leap forward as the above did, it even propelled him into the Ryder Cup team the belief and form he captured on the Challenge Tour.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Surely it's a results based industry. If there is a limited entry, then, where you came last year dictates which comps you can enter and which you cant. If you do well enough to keep your card then you are ahead of someone who has newly qualified. I suppose in the case of Warren, the tour has always had a few "sponsers invites"and that's how he gets in, not too sure if that's right or not?

Chris

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sorry Stuart,

Sam Hutsby like my mate Mr Forsyth had the opportunity last season to secure there cards on the Tour, if they had done so they would have been playing again this week in Abu Dhabi.

But last year Alistair Forsyth had the advantage of playing in this event, Hutsby did not.

If Hutsby was able to play and made the cut he might still have retained his card. Overall Forsyth played five more events although i can't be sure how much of that was due to choice or ranking.

Looks like I am on my own with this one though :D

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
But Stuart I am sure Forsyth was in the same position years back but through actually keeping his card instead of flunking out he has managed to earn the right.....if Hutsby manages to do what Forsyth and countless other have then he will get his chance but he needs to earn it.

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yes he was. To me it still smacks of a wee bit of protectionism for those who are there, especially at the bottom end. In a football context everyone up here would be greetin if the old firm acted like this eh dodger?

One thing is sure though, those who have earned there card at Q school must play in every possible event in a hectic schedule. One such person who did not do this was Callum Macaulay who decided to miss out on the early South African events in 2009. Despite a 2nd place he just failed to keep his card and has had a miserable year on the challenge tour and failed to make the final of Q school. No doubt he wishes he played them now

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Just do the entry list alphabetically. That would be fair.

Now, Woods, hmm, W, nope, no room for him, we filled up with Vs instead.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Sorry Stuart I just don't see your argument. Not all the players who qualify for the tour are young players, many have been to tour school time and time again.

Every player is ranked according to what they have done in the current season, and,obviously, those who keep their cards are ranked higher than those who newly aquire theirs. All of the European Tour events have a cut off point for entry and a players inclusion is almost always based on thier position in the ranking. There are other exceptions ie national players from the host country and medical exemptions etc but there is no reason that I can see to allow the 1st place in the Challenge tour to take a place from anyone who has struggled his nadgers of to keep his card, irrespective of age - inclusion in the European Tour events is the prize for keeping your card

Chris

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think the rankings are fair enough. They are certainly pretty clear to all. Perhaps the line at 125 is the problem, and a smaller number should automatically qualify, but all those who qualify have to come above all those who don't. The Tour school and Challenge Tour players who play well early can have their ranking improved and have more chance to get into the bigger events.

On sponsors invitations, these companies put a lot of dough in and should have the right to pick a few players. These guys are usually local, former well known players or have some connection with the sponsor, and for their £X million, the sponsor needs some privileges. San Hutsby is a good player and his time will probably come.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
The tour has made extra opportunities for as many as possible to have a chance of retaining their cards by having a tour that is practically all year long.

Just had a quick scan at the schedule and a CT graduate can expect a minimum of about 20 starts over the year. I think that is plenty.....if they are good enough.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Sam had well in excess of 20 starts on the main tour. He was close but not close enough. He had enough chances to keep his card.
Bringing the "cut" line down to 90 or so would open itqq up new faces.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Sad as it was, Sam didn't do enough. End of. That said I think he has the game and will benefit from having a year on the full tour when he goes onto the Challenge tour and so hopefully will do enough via their OOM to get a card for next year.

Where do you draw the line. Reduce it to 80 and there will be claims that it's too hard to break into. Keep it as it is and there are arguably too many "journeymen" taking the spot of a young up and coming player.

Surely the easiest answer would be to look at all these various categories and start by simplifying that.

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site
For these big events where the graduates currently don't get in How about top 80 from last years dubi ramkings automatically qualify and the remaining places go to those next highest in the current dubi rankings. That way if a graduate has started the season well he would get in before any journeyman who has not playing well. It would give rookies a better chance and maybe force those who just retain their card year after to up their game a little

As homer says it is a difficult one to get a good balance