New European Tour Website design Oh Dear

Visit site
Most of those posting here will be familiar with the website howdidido, which was also re-designed a few months ago. Theirs was an example of how to do so properly and they maintained the old site as a running alternative, even offering a direct link on the new site. I don't particularly like their new design but it's not unusable and anyway I can continue to use the original HDID site for the moment. I suspect that the idiot who designed this flash hungry monstrosity has probably rendered it impossible to revert back to the old site even if they wanted to.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
So, I'm assuming that they actually have the leaderboard correct....or have they?
Ross Fisher and Beef are tied at -3
Both shot level par today
And yet one has moved up a load of places and one has moved down.....if they both shot level par and are tied in the same score then they must have moved up or down by the same number ..
With that stat being wrong, how much can you believe then rest of the numbers..?
Still a shambles after this amount of time.......
:rofl:

Definite glitch there!

Wasn't Molinari leading after Rd 2? and he's moved up 8 places to 3rd :rolleyes:! No obvious use of the wrong value either - but there WILL be a simple reason!

ruff-driver

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
BMW-PGA-Championship-latest-leaderboard-Wentworth-948805.jpg

el marko

Head Pro
Visit site
A lot of people in this thread have absolutely no idea what they're talking about.

This has nothing to do with user testing or poor site design. It is most likely to do with the feed of the leaderboard stats being very slow which is causing a long loading time for the leaderboard page and anything else leaderboard related. There are multiple other sites that are also displaying incorrect/slow leaderboards. Even the manual boards at the event were slow yesterday.

The redesign is actually very nice, but as usual with things like this, everyone thinks they're a professional.

Visit site
No, the redesign is actually not nice at all. The old site was far superior and easier to navigate. It's not just a case of the leaderboard being slow but rather unstable. It will initially show the current scores then, after a minute or so, autonomously revert back to an earlier time. Nor is it just the leaderboard that's slow - every navigational change is slow to respond, frequently displaying the message that a script is not responding and needs debugging - happens with three different browsers.

It's irrelevant whether or not the user thinks they are, or is, an IT professional. What matters is the end-users' experience of using the site and that can only be negative.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
A lot of people in this thread have absolutely no idea what they're talking about.

This has nothing to do with user testing or poor site design. It is most likely to do with the feed of the leaderboard stats being very slow
which is causing a long loading time for the leaderboard page and anything else leaderboard related. There are multiple other sites that are also displaying incorrect/slow leaderboards. Even the manual boards at the event were slow yesterday.

The redesign is actually very nice, but as usual with things like this, everyone thinks they're a professional.

Absolute rubbish.
In the top right hand corner there's a 'login' option ................ but it won't allow me to login as it quite clearly has issues. Nothing to do with leaderboard stats, nothing.

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

This has nothing to do with user testing or poor site design. It is most likely to do with the feed of the leaderboard stats being very slow which is causing a long loading time for the leaderboard page and anything else leaderboard related. There are multiple other sites that are also displaying incorrect/slow leaderboards. Even the manual boards at the event were slow yesterday.

You may be qualified to speak to the technical side of things - I'm not, but I accept that deployment to live is complex and things can go wrong.

However, the bit in bold is absolutely subjective and, aside from the technical issues experienced, I think many people dislike the design. I get Dan's point about the update being necessary to allow for future development but the layout and design of the new site are a step backwards, IMO.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I don't need IT qualifications to think and know, at this time, it's crap.

I'm the end user and my current experience of it is such that I don't go anywhere near it currently whereas I'd be on it a few times a day before.

Visit site
Absolute rubbish.
In the top right hand corner there's a 'login' option ................ but it won't allow me to login as it quite clearly has issues. Nothing to do with leaderboard stats, nothing.

I just tried to log in and was redirected to the following message: "We're working as quickly as possible to restore access to the account area and apologise for any inconvenience this may cause."
So at last they're admitting there are problems, a week after the launch. Pathetic and incompetent! They could easily have introduced the new design as a beta version to run alongside the old one for a while but no, their arrogance wouldn't allow this.

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

Its not just the leaderboard its other parts of the site that dont function correctly and as for other sites not up to speed ive been using the golf channels live leaderboard for the BMW event and that functions perfectly.

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Another complaint: why does the scorecard panel have to take up the entire screen when you go there from the leaderboard? Who thought that was a good idea?

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Their Fantasy League page is all over the place too!
Looking at the GM private league and I'm still 12th with approximately 1.5 million points more than the bloke in 11th.
Go figure! Go fix it.

D

Deleted member 15344

Their Fantasy League page is all over the place too!
Looking at the GM private league and I'm still 12th with approximately 1.5 million points more than the bloke in 11th.
Go figure! Go fix it.

That actually happens every week - they adds your points on then over the next 12 hours the positions get sorted.