New European Tour Website design Oh Dear

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Not because its just different

Its slow to load, not easy to find what you want
and looks bland.

Bring bank the old one, nuffin wrong with it.

Oh and the entry list for this weeks BMWPGA is missing Stenson and Rose at least

Donkeys

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm with you Phil. I logged on this morning to see how a lad at our club did in the Challenge tour yesterday and it was a right faff to navigate around.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
No issues with load speed here, running nice and fast and looks great across devices.

Looks lovely, been in desperate need of a refresh for a long-time. The old system had so many limitations from a tech perspective, has been a long-time coming. The company I used to work for built the old site, and have built this new one and it has been a huge undertaking. The work started probably 3 or 4 years ago starting with re-building the MyEuropeanTour site, so it's great to see that they've been able to launch in time for Wentworth.

Last edited:

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
No speed issues here, mind you I've got 200mg cable connection, that written when accessing this forum on the old IE11 browser it was rubbish, forever crashing, slow to load with the adverts etc.., but since the last update from Windows, they made some changes and I've started using Microsoft Edge, and it's much much better, sites load really quick, no issues with adverts slowing a page down.

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Far too white, can't believe someone would make a website like that. Massive amounts of glare on it and I can't see anything properly. One of these stupid mobile first websites that I absolutely hate.

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm with you Phil. I logged on this morning to see how a lad at our club did in the Challenge tour yesterday and it was a right faff to navigate around.

With you on that. I gave up trying to find the results of the recent Challenge Tour event . Found a piece on Aaron Rai but couldn't find the actual results anywhere so i gave up. Overall the whole thing is just awful. It's ugly and hard to navigate.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Sorry if you've still got mates there Dan but for me I've only tried it on the lappy so far and i'm not a fan

Not sure why but seems like every little icon/button etc has to wiggle/change colour/twist/slide etc, it just makes the whole thing a wee bit well, tacky for want of a better word

The presentation is quite supersized/in your face too so that it doesn't seem to fit properly onto my laptop screen (& means lots more scrolling back & forth than I did before)

I'll probably get used to it through time

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Takes a while to load for me.

I'll reserve judgement until the tournament starts on Thursday. The great advantage of the old Euro tour site over the PGA site (which I dislike) is that on tournament day the leaderboard was the first thing that came up. Exactly what I wanted to see. I have a nasty feeling that on Thursday morning I'll be seeing what the sponsors want me to see instead.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not great. I use to look at it for tournament scores at work so like pendodave I'll wait and see what happens once the BMW startd. In overall terms though it's not user friendly and not a great advert for the tour

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just had a look. Wow.

I didn't particularly like the old one, but this has lost me as a visitor after 5 minutes.

Considering the ET's social media is head and shoulders above the PGA Tour equivalent, their website isn't a patch on pgatour.com, and that isn't perfect by any stretch.

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just had a look. Wow.

I didn't particularly like the old one, but this has lost me as a visitor after 5 minutes.

Considering the ET's social media is head and shoulders above the PGA Tour equivalent, their website isn't a patch on pgatour.com, and that isn't perfect by any stretch.

Leaderboard is broken as well, hasn't updated in about 10 holes. Really quite embarrassing, the old site was functional if not the prettiest. This is just flashy mobile enabled features that ruin functionality on desktop.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As someone very involved in the pain of switching over to a new website design I feel for them. Everyone has an opinion and while I don't know the ins and outs of the redesign it'll probably take a while before they figure everything out.

As for the failure this morning, who knows? Yes they're a big organisation and should have this in the bag, but tech leaves you down in the strangest of (unpredicted) ways sometimes.

Whydowedoit

Hacker
Visit site
I think it's awful. Why don't they test these things at a relatively minor event? Not at the start of the biggest event of the year on their home turf. Embarrassing. Can't get the leaderboard to work on iPad or Windows phone. The old site was functional & had easy enough access to the important bits, this one just gets stuck & wont do anything. Very very poor by the tour, they should know better.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
They will have tested it, they'll have tested it extensively for weeks. However, when you move huge web applications from Dev environments into a live environment it's very unpredictable and things go wrong. They've just been unlucky here that it's gone wrong at launch during the biggest event of the year.

The old site was functional, but incredibly out-dated and difficult to build upon. Technology has to develop and change is always going to upset people. You'll get used to it.

D

Deleted member 3432

Can't even see leaderboard, very poor and not great considering such an important event for the tour.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The timing is because it is the biggest event of the year. They wanted to show it off when they knew people would be looking and wanted to make the biggest impact with it. As Dan said, it will have been tested for weeks/months before hand, yes unfortunate that it's gone down, but it will be back up soon.

Last edited: