new driver or not?

badgerontour

Visit site
Hi

I am a keen 11 hcp senior golfer (61) and am thinking of getting a new driver ( either Taylormade M2 or Callaway epic).

I use a Callaway X460 pro 10.5 which is almost 10 years old - I m happy with my drives but would like to recover the distance lost in recent years (I probably average about 210yds now - not much further than my 3 wood). Do you think the new technology of the above clubs can do that for me?

Also my driver is 43" and I'm happy with that length - Can any reputable proshop shorten the shaft on a new driver if I cant get it custom fit at purchase?

Thanks for your advice.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Hi

I am a keen 11 hcp senior golfer (61) and am thinking of getting a new driver ( either Taylormade M2 or Callaway epic).

I use a Callaway X460 pro 10.5 which is almost 10 years old - I m happy with my drives but would like to recover the distance lost in recent years (I probably average about 210yds now - not much further than my 3 wood). Do you think the new technology of the above clubs can do that for me?

Also my driver is 43" and I'm happy with that length - Can any reputable proshop shorten the shaft on a new driver if I cant get it custom fit at purchase?

Thanks for your advice.

best go and try a few and see how you get on. Ive the mark1 M2 and thats pretty forgiving.

IMO the main advances has been in the shafts, all the guys i know that have got the epic and had distance increases have also gone with much lighter shafts in the driver than what they had before.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If your driver was 2/3 years old then you probably wouldn't find much real improvement in performance over the new ones - depends on whether you were well fitted for the X460 or not.
As it's 10 years old I'm sure there's some performance to be gained, if not in distance then in off centre hits..
And if you get properly fitted, the fitter should look at the length of the shaft as well as the weight and flex and adjust to your swing.
Shortening after purchase is straightforward but, as you may be taking off a couple of inches or more, the swingweight may well need to be adjusted.
A decent fitter can do this.
Of course, you may not be able to feel a difference. Some are very susceptible to slight weight changes, some don't seem to have a problem.
Swing it. If it works and it feels ok - don't knock it.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Probably, but getting the right shaft and loft set up will make the biggest difference.

I'm the same age and handicap and have recently grabbed an M2 (2016) from a bargain bucket. Indications are that it's much easier to hit the centre of the club than my SLDR, but that could be shafts (I've standard in both).