New clubs / or stick with the old ?

Andre Linoge

Medal Winner
Visit site
Having played only about 15 times over the past 2 years due to other obligations, I now am getting back into the game, so as I have some spare cash to spend on, clubs/membership/equipment, should I stick with the old clubs for at least the next few months before investing in sticks ?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Having played only about 15 times over the past 2 years due to other obligations, I now am getting back into the game, so as I have some spare cash to spend on, clubs/membership/equipment, should I stick with the old clubs for at least the next few months before investing in sticks ?

I'd play as much as possible and if you need something you can get it but no need to replace good stuff

ruff-driver

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
* It is statistically proven that new clubs drop several shots off your handicap.

* may not be true but everybody love new shinies :D

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
15 times over 2 years.

Your swing is probably not 'fixed' enough to get a good idea of what clubs will suit you.

What clubs are you playing currently?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Buy some even older clubs from ebay, vintage golf is the way to go.

Pick up a set for £25 or less, leaves you with a few hundred to play some great courses.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Depends for me on how old the current clubs are. There have been advances in technology. One area I'd look at would be the grips as these are likely to be old, and worn. Plenty of bargains around so if you want to buy new, try and get some lessons as well

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Stick with yer oldies for now would be my advice, at least until yer back up to speed again, then a fitting would be the way to go, nothing worse than buying on a whim only to find they're not rite for you and you can't hit'em for tuppence, especially as you've only got yer oldies to go by...

I on the other hand took an entirely different route by buying and selling sets of clubs left, right and centre (eBay etc) until I eventually stumbled upon my current set (King Cobra 3100i/h) it cost me a lot of money in the end...

ps, a fitting will at least give you a target to aim for when trauling through eBay if you can't afford to buy new...

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Would help us judge if you told us what your current set actually are. If your driver is ten years old or so, I'd say it could be worth picking up a newer model. If it's only 4 or so years old though it's probably not worth upgrading yet. Your irons are probably ok unless they're really​ old I would suggest.

7255carl

Club Champion
www.loweryourhandicap.siterubix.com
Hi Andre
In my opinion it really depends on the equipment that you have as to whether to invest in new stuff or not, if your gear is relatively modern and in good condition I think a better use for your money is to get a few lessons and a membership first.

Just my thoughts, I hope it helps

Carl

D

Deleted member 23270

Hi Andre
In my opinion it really depends on the equipment that you have as to whether to invest in new stuff or not, if your gear is relatively modern and in good condition I think a better use for your money is to get a few lessons and a membership first.

Just my thoughts, I hope it helps

Carl

First post and he is giving good advice already. You're going to do well on this forum matey :D

Andre Linoge

Medal Winner
Visit site
Would help us judge if you told us what your current set actually are. If your driver is ten years old or so, I'd say it could be worth picking up a newer model. If it's only 4 or so years old though it's probably not worth upgrading yet. Your irons are probably ok unless they're really​ old I would suggest.

I regripped the club's about 2 years ago but hardly played so still good, old Mizuno T zoid irons, 2 Dunlop nz9 wedges, white hot putter, King Cobra driver, callaway 3 wood Dunlop nz9 5 wood and hybrid.

7255carl

Club Champion
www.loweryourhandicap.siterubix.com
Hi again Andre
T-Zoids if I remember correctly were very good irons but may now be a little dated, the Cobra Driver in my eyes is a classic I wouldn't replace this just yet, and the white hot putter will still be fine (I have used the same 2 ball since it was released and I will be hard pushed to find something I like more), perhaps you could look at a good forgiving set of irons and some new wedges if you really wanted a change but I wouldn't rush into it, also golfbidder do some very well priced used irons depending on your budget.

Carl

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Nothing wrong with T-zoids, a mate of mine has just aquired a set which were to be stripped out for the shafts that were fitted (XP105/stiff) but after a quick knock about he ended up using them instead of breaking them down, much preferred them over his 'Speedblades' believe it or not, go with'em fer now would be my advice... :thup:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nothing really wrong with TZoids except if they are the Pro version they were aimed at the better golfer.

Modern clubs will have less loft, more of a cavity back (if you want it) and lighter weight shafts. Tzoids have Sensicore TT Dynamic Gold from memory, one of the heaviest shafts available in todays market.

Re Facebreaker's post if they have XP 105 it is because someone changed the shafts. XP series of shafts were not around at the time Tzoids came out.