New Club Purchase

dnmwales

Visit site
I'm 35 and have been playing for about a year now with second hands clubs which are a John Daly driver and Howson irons all of which are about 25 years old and were given to me. Really enjoying the game but feel the old clubs are just lacking and definitely want to upgrade the driver and possibly the irons. I had four brands in mind (Cobra, Taylormade, Titleist and Callaway) however I'm very much leaning towards Cobra based on good reviews and price and overall look. Would this be a wise decision or should I be looking at one of the other brands or a completely different one? Obviously I realise much of it is personal preference but would be nice to have some additional views or advice if possible please.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
The best advice i can offer is be open minded, try as many clubs as you can and go for what feels, performs the best. Its easy to get caught up with what you think you like versus what is actually the best for you!

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

dnmwales

Visit site
Thanks for the reply and advice, difficult to try clubs in my area unfortunately as we haven't any decent golf stores nearby so having to reply on purchasing online.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Where are you? pretty sure someone here will be local and may be able to suggest a decent golf club with a well stocked shop! American golf and direct golf are not your only options! I will wager there will be a club nearby with a well stocked shop and a pro to fit you..

Paul77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Going through this one myself, and I would hazard against blind buying online unless you've tried them first. I got my set for £50 second hand after trying them out in store. It's well worth looking out for somewhere.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You left out Ping. Older models are stil excellent, I'm playing G15 irons and 1 wood and have no thoughts to changing the irons. Every now and then I think about the driver but Im hitting the G15 really well at the moment and if it ain't broke...

Picking these up online isn't that much of a risk, if you get them at a good price their resale value wont be that different from what you paid, just make sure you know which shaft you need, any Ping stockist will be able to adjust the lie angle (the colour of the dots, google it if you're not sure what I'm on about).

I too was playing with 20+ year old clubs (Slazenger california 3 wood and Rapier irons) when I was fit at Gainsborough for my G15s, the difference was night and day.

Happy golfing

stirry

Medal Winner
Visit site
Another +1 for MD Superstrong STR Irons !! Changed this week from Cobra S3 Max and they are just amazing irons for mid to high handicapper !!