New Car Time - Anyone Driven The New Golf R?

S

Snelly

Hi,

My car lease runs out soon and I am looking for something different. I have had an E Class and two 5 Series Touring for my last 3 cars and want something faster and a bit more fun. I also want good build quality and something relatively understated and not anything chavvy.

I am thinking of getting a 2012 Golf GTI and like the look of the new Limited 35 edition or the R model. Both look like they are pretty quick and good fun. Has anyone any experience with these?

Not only that but can anyone suggest anything as an alternative? Budget of up to £35K ish. Needs to be new though as it is a company car. Also means not a massive engine or the emissions will launch the tax through the roof! Lastly, needs 4 seats as I have two children.

Thanks.

Snelly.

Last edited:

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
The 123d coupe would be a good shout too. The emissions will be high on the 135i, would make the tax a real mother. (Can't even begin to think how much tax you'll pay on a car with a P11D value of £35K :O)

S

Snelly

BMW M135i - my dealership has told me to forget it. They are doing a limited production run first with each dealership getting just one to sell. Most of these are already sold. Plus the launch date has been put back to November so all in all, no good. Shame as it looks a real flying machine.

Have booked a test drive in a 125d which looks okay but I am not convinced.

And yes, very good points made on the tax band. The 35 Golf is much higher than a standard GTI too.

I think I am revising my plan now and am going to see if I can order (if possible) the new Golf standard GTI, due for launch early next year. Faster, upgrade etc. In the meantime, I will use our pool car or get a mid term hire, probably a GTI from my VW dealership.

Thanks for the input all.

Snelly.

S

Snelly

I run out of patience when it comes to changing cars. Drove a Golf GTI last night and it was a bit boring. Going to have a test drive in a Megane 265 tomorrow then a BMW 330d next week.

I bet I end up with another 5 series in the end and budgets won't stretch to a bigger engine!

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I run out of patience when it comes to changing cars. Drove a Golf GTI last night and it was a bit boring. Going to have a test drive in a Megane 265 tomorrow then a BMW 330d next week.

I bet I end up with another 5 series in the end and budgets won't stretch to a bigger engine!

Snelly, problem with the Golf has always been the weight. Such a heavy car for it's size. For the original VR6, VW offered a [costly] weight reduction package that stripped about 200Kg off the overall kerb weight IIRC.
For me, if I was looking I would consider the BMW 325Cd. Not a huge difference in power to the 330, the coupe just looks gorgeous compared the the saloon and your economy and VED costs will be lower than the 330. If you can get a Highline it has the iDrive system which is great.

Alan

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I had a R32 last year although I liked it and it sounds like a hooker on a orgasm it was just to heavy and slow.

Punted it and bought a Z4M

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
just waiting for a cheque to drop through the letter box and I'm ordering a Skoda Superb 2.0d Elegance (6 speed Auto). Test drove on ethe other week and was so impressed with the comfort and ride.

T

thecraw

just waiting for a cheque to drop through the letter box and I'm ordering a Skoda Superb 2.0d Elegance (6 speed Auto). Test drove on ethe other week and was so impressed with the comfort and ride.

Brilliant car.

Gazboy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I had a R32 last year although I liked it and it sounds like a hooker on a orgasm it was just to heavy and slow.

Punted it and bought a Z4M

Is it a roadster or coupe? I only ask as I'm interested in the Z4M Roadster to replace my S2000 but wasn't sure if the boot can accomadate my clubs (I understand the Z3M can't carry a bag of clubs).

Thanks

Edit- Snelly- have you thought about the Toyota GT86? £27.5k with decent options, low tax & and supposed to be quite frugal if Toyota's caims are to be believed.

Last edited:
S

Snelly

Edit- Snelly- have you thought about the Toyota GT86? £27.5k with decent options, low tax & and supposed to be quite frugal if Toyota's caims are to be believed.

Yes I did but What Car did a review this month on hot hatches / coupes and it got hammered. The Megane 265 was the winner followed by the Audi TT.

Drove the Megane on Saturday and it was fantastic. Super quick, well made and comfortable enough to live with. Also drove an Mercedes E350 Estate. Very nice.

Looks as though I am going to go with the new 3 series touring though. Comes out in September and all the motoring press are saying it is the class leader by miles. I am going to get the 2.0D SE and spend the difference on toys for it. Heads up display etc.

Thanks for all the advice.