New Callaway and TaylorMade Drivers

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Genuine Q:

Assuming my driver / shaft doesn’t break, and my swing doesn’t change much (v much NOT expecting it to slow down at all for a number of years, and v likely not to gain any significant clubhead speed either), and the regulations on Drivers isn’t changed (max size or whatever that limited performance increases), why would I need to buy a new driver?

I spent a lot on a fitted one, new a year ago from a v reputable fitter..so presumably, I’m not likely to get any gains?

new technology does make a difference, but you probably won't see any step change for at least 5-6 years from what you currently have.

I changed my 15 year old Titleist 909D3 to the Titleist TSi3 and the difference is incredible in terms of mishits and hitting fairways. Where the old driver would spin 20 yards the new one moves 5 yards so instead of being in the trees or rough I am in the fairway, a small distance increase as well.

I could see the difference easily because of the 15 year gap in technology, I doubt I would see much difference between my new one and new tech for at least 5 years and even then it would probably fairly minimal

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Genuine Q:

Assuming my driver / shaft doesn’t break, and my swing doesn’t change much (v much NOT expecting it to slow down at all for a number of years, and v likely not to gain any significant clubhead speed either), and the regulations on Drivers isn’t changed (max size or whatever that limited performance increases), why would I need to buy a new driver?

I spent a lot on a fitted one, new a year ago from a v reputable fitter..so presumably, I’m not likely to get any gains?
I think most people have suggested that assuming you driver is fitted to you, it's not worth upgrading until you can get one that's 4 or 5 years newer to see any benefit. But as you suggest, it's possible that gains have been maxed out in terms of distance - however you might see an improvement in forgiveness, i.e. strikes from the heel and toe being punished less.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Retention of ball speed and control of the spin from off-centre strikes is the only thing gaining real yardage these days so I would say the higher handicapper is likely to see more gains than the better player who hits closer to the middle more often .

Golfnut1957

Visit site
So, basically, as the manufacturers have been at the legal limits for many years now, then any changes they make to the club can only be cosmetic or of minimal performance improvement and nothing that a good club fitter couldn't tweek with shaft, face angle etc on your existing club. I would suggest that Cat 1 and better golfers may find an improvement but 99% of us wouldn't.

Must admit that I haven't searched too hard for info on the "new" TM drivers but checked out the blurb for the Stealth range. Very clever use of language but not once did they indicate any better performance to previous clubs. Used phrases like " pushing the boundaries", "optimal performance", "maxed out" and the like but never actually claimed anything.

Me a cynic? Nah :rolleyes:

Caveat emptor
No claims of 17 yards then, those were the days, 17 yards year after year, everyone was hitting it miles after those campaigns;)

Seriously, my mate, a 4 HI who was long anyway with his Titleist 915 D2 went for a fitting a year or so ago and the fitter found him a significant increase. It was with a PXG 0211, but it could have been almost anything as the fitter found him the extra distance with a variety of clubheads and shafts, the one he chose was purely on cosmetic grounds.

evemccc

Visit site
By far the most popular new driver of the last couple of years at my club, and from what I’ve seen in opens, has been the Ping G425 — which is pretty much seen as the most ‘forgiving’ driver - but not the longest

When I got fit my fitter said the majority of people going to see him want tighter dispersion and more forgiveness from a new driver…

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The price is horrifying. £599 for a driver which is the same as the Callaway Epic they released what 6-7 years ago now? For that price, at least claim that it’s made out of some new, unobtainable metal that makes my ball fly back out of the trees…

I tried the whole range of Rogue drivers last year and it was horrible - I was put off buying a new driver altogether by the experience.

The Epic couldnt have been £599 on release.
I paid way less than £600 for my Epic not long after release which included a £90 upcharge shaft and fitting at Callaway performance centre.

Edit... £469 https://www.todays-golfer.com/news-...-zero-drivers/#:~:text=Epic details: RRP £469.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Not sure that they’d out perform my original rogue woods so I’ll gladly keep the money in my pocket

Golfnut1957

Visit site

Teebs

Visit site
I went from a 2014 driver to a 2022 driver and the distance, even for a low-ish handicap was evident to see. As someone else has said, the most gains are from spin rates and off-centre hits.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
I went from a 2014 driver to a 2022 driver and the distance, even for a low-ish handicap was evident to see. As someone else has said, the most gains are from spin rates and off-centre hits.

i had the original Epic and switched to the original rogue and the difference for 1 generation is unbelievable

Pin-seeker

Visit site
New Callaway looks ? imo.
Still not keen on the Stealth.
£400+ tho for a driver that won’t improve your game from the previous model ?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Having watering eyes at the cost of my latest irons and seeing the cost of these I'm afraid I'm now being priced out of the "new" market...
I could buy them if I wanted to but I cant justify 600 quid for a driver to me let alone the Finance Director......
Time to start a sweep on who will have the first, mainstream, £1k driver.....

This is exactly the reason that I’m a last season kinda guy. £1200 for under half price, last seasons driver for less than half price.

Generally upgrade my driver every 2-3 years with very little additional investment but also very little gain.

I pay less upfront and lose less when it comes to moving stuff on. I must be every marketers nightmare.