New Best Round (Not that impressive really)

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Although it may not be that impressive, having been stuck with my handicap in the 20's for a while, it has always been my goal to get down to 18 then crack on again and try to get lower again.

I went for a round after work last night with my mate and it was by far the best I've played. I've practiced the 'feelings' from some recent lessons over and over and yesterday it seemed to click. My irons were good, chipping and pitching were decent, and with regard to a recent post of mine, I didn't top any 3 woods off the tee! The only thing that let me down I would say was my putting. I had 3 3 putts and a 4 putt.

I managed 6 pars, 8 bogeys, 3 double bogeys, and an NR and came off with 39 points, 21 front and 18 back and we finished our friendly match all square.

It was a nice change not to be standing there with hundreds of swing thoughts and just to be swinging fairly freely not worrying about strike.

I hope this continues into the weekend competition, but knowing my luck there's a good chance it'll be like I've never swung a club before :D

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All good bud, it's actually a bit of a mental barrier to get down to 18 and 17, the first time you don't have a shot on a hole. I've buddies stuck in the 20s for many years and largely it's down to not being able to hold it together when they get off to a good start. I've often said the difference between the 22 handicap guys I play with and the 18 handicaps is how they score rather than quality of swing or short game etc. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, but finding a way to bogey out of the rough instead of taking an 8 or 9, that's the difference.

So go out this weekend and continue that nice feeling, even the pros say they only have a few weeks every year when they're really killing it and they make hay while the sun shines. For us and the amount we practice it's not surpirsing the same - if not worse - would apply! So if you're swinging freely and feel like you can control the ball well this weekend give yourself some decent looks and convert them, thats the difference, try to keep those 3 putts away and you might surprsie yourself with your score.

And if you do start scoring well, don't get nervous or under pressure, no one is waiting for you at the 18th green to interview you over what you shot, the people in your life couldn't care less if you did poorly or well as long as you're happy, so play each hole as it comes and if you're going low, keep going lower. Don't think "I can drop this many shots coming home" or any of that nonsense, if you're playing well go out and smash it. Keep all thoughts of your victory speech until the 19th, the time on the course is for scoring, the moment you drift into the future (or the past, still stewing over a short putt missed) you open the door to choas, you'll make a silly choice because you're not fully in the present and calculating all the variables. So the moment you drift, snap back.

And if you get in trouble, find a way out that doesn't balloon into a stupid number, you can well afford bogeys and even doubles with all the pars you're making so don't be a hero.

Stay present. Putt calmly. Smash it.

:eek:ne:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well played - golf is a pain in the backside though so keep at it. Two weekends ago I beat my best score on the Friday, then beat it again by a shot on the Sunday - then last weekend I'd totally forgotten how to hit a ball, hit about 3 decent irons all day. :angry: