New 2019 rules

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I see that the rules in 2019 are to allow a player to drop where a ball may be lost or OOB for a 2 shot penalty if allowed by the Cub under a local rule

Any views?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I can see some discussions about where the ball went OB or where it's lost.
Not always a simple as it may seem.
Will this mean provisionals won't be required..?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Trying to clarify that one.

E.g. I hit my 2nd shot OB, consequently I drop and play another ball to the green for 4. Alternatively, I follow my original second shot to where it went OB and drop a ball there for another two shots making 4 before playing to the green for 5?

Whilst I see the pro's of speeding up play, wouldn't I potentially save myself a shot (possibly a point) by going back to play again?

Edit: just watched the video, and that still doesn't clarify

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I guess it would be risky taking a provisional given that the 2 shot penalty would put you on the fairway

Leveltwos

Visit site
So........ you hit your ball towards a big old bush. You can’t find it, so then you can drop in the ‘vicinity’ including the fairway. However, if you can see it but can’t play it, nor can you take any reasonable relief under the unplayable rule you will still have to return to where you played your previous shot. Hardly time saving. And what if you have played a provisional? Do you get the choice of playing the provisional or taking what may be an attractive 2019 drop?
There may be trouble ahead!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks, at least it has to be a local rule and not a rule. I can see all kinds of problems trying to agree with those your playing with.

I guessed it would be easier. just estimate where its lost, or oob, wander to the fairway not near the hole, measure 2 club lengths with the driver and drop for 2 penalty shots

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Just had a quick squint at that R&A link, well done guys, hats off to the stuffy old men in blazers, I knew they'd come good :whoo:

Think the knee height drop is also a good move, though in regards the lost ball of OB are they saying drop on the fairway ?? doesn't quite make that clear.

Last edited:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can see some discussions about where the ball went OB or where it's lost.
Not always a simple as it may seem.
Will this mean provisionals won't be required..?

Provisionals will remain, and fitnpretty well with this additional option. However, I can see it being another option call ie there will be times when its a good option, and times when 3 from the tee will probably be better.

It's real benefit comes in when someone unexpectedly can't find their ball, or finds it unexpectedly OOB.

As to where...such issues already exist with water hazards, they aren't really an issue 99% of the time. You get a good feeling for where by watching where a player focuses his attention when looking for his ball in the first place - and given the option enables you to drop out on the fairway, its only really distance thst matters, and argualbly that isnt going to matter that much for the target golfers within a fair range either.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I guessed it would be easier. just estimate where its lost, or oob, wander to the fairway not near the hole, measure 2 club lengths with the driver and drop for 2 penalty shots

Yep, thats how i see it too. If you hit a solid tee shot you will probably take this option every time - if you hit it short (for you) you will probably hit another (either provisional or walk back)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
So........ you hit your ball towards a big old bush. You can’t find it, so then you can drop in the ‘vicinity’ including the fairway. However, if you can see it but can’t play it, nor can you take any reasonable relief under the unplayable rule you will still have to return to where you played your previous shot. Hardly time saving. And what if you have played a provisional? Do you get the choice of playing the provisional or taking what may be an attractive 2019 drop?
There may be trouble ahead!

Don't see trouble - see people looking for trouble. If you hit a provisional nothing changes either way. 99% + of the time you will be better off using your rule 28 options either in combination with each other or with a hack thrown in - and for the extreme where you can't you should probably not have wasted 4.59sec of everyone's time to find the damm thing in the first place!

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just had a quick squint at that R&A link, well done guys, hats off to the stuffy old men in blazers, I knew they'd come good :whoo:

Think the knee height drop is also a good move, though in regards the lost ball of OB are they saying drop on the fairway ?? doesn't quite make that clear.

The video on the link shows you can

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
As I said just had a quick squint, so you can thrash it 50 deep then just take a two shorter and play from the fairway ??

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Don't see trouble - see people looking for trouble. If you hit a provisional nothing changes either way. 99% + of the time you will be better off using your rule 28 options either in combination with each other or with a hack thrown in - and for the extreme where you can't you should probably not have wasted 4.59sec of everyone's time to find the damm thing in the first place!

................. or 2.59 when the rules change??

//