need help guys!

bigbiffa

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
i have this terrible swing fault at the moment, i keep "coming out" of the shot to early, mainly with the driver,but it creeps up throughout the bag! it is resulting in a "toppy" horrible hooky shot! ive posted previously saying im topping the ball, but not quite sure how to solve this! i have a lesson on fri, but its doing my head in! ive tried it all.......i think! all help appreciated.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
a) I don't suppose you are rolling your arms over trying to release the club are you?

b) Can you describe the shape of shot in more detail... starts right or left of the target line, high or low flight, you are or aren't leaving a divot etc...

regards..

bigbiffa

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
well on point (a) yes i am, i used to be a bad slicer, and this was one of the fundamentals my pro taught me.
point (b) it can vary, sometimes straight left,sometimes starts right and turns on a big arc left, but ALWAYS i can feel it coming out of the bottom of the club!
Thats the annoying thing, i know what a good strike FEELS like,and the more i feel it coming off the bottom of the club, the more i do it! I feel my tempo gets quicker also as i become more annoyed, and have been at the range beating balls, with little or no success! i hit my irons well, pick up the driver,and voila! there is that horrible strike!

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
BB, from that photo you posted last week I'd recommend having soemone help you check your basics:

stance
posture
allignment
grip
ball position

It was hard to tell from just that photo but it did look as though you would have to "get out of your own way" in order to get the club travelling back towards the target. Which could contribute to this lifting out of the shot and hitting the bottom groove on the club.

It's always good practice when you pick up any fault (or even regularly if you aren't!) to return to these fundamentals as they are the root of a lot of problems and as such are a farily quick and easy fix.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
well on point (a) yes i am, i used to be a bad slicer, and this was one of the fundamentals my pro taught me.

OK that sounds like your problem. It's probably the MOST destructive thing you can do to a golf swing.

As your hands roll the club is delofted, points left and comes off both the swing plane and the swing path, you're probably catching it out of the heel which is why it feels low on the face.

Basically you need to try to NOT roll your hands until after you have hit the ball.... this will keep loft on the clubface and help the club point in (at least) the direction you are swinging.

No one said it was going to be easy

I could fix this but then I'd have to kill you :D :p :p

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
I'm no expert. But I also went from a slice to a low pull hook after lessons a couple of years ago. Over correcting the slice had caused the problem. I'd developed a very strong grip, a closed clubface and overly early release. It was getting very depressing.

What worked for me was getting the grip right, and constantly checking that it was right. Back to basics.

I still hit bad shots, but they're less often and less severe than before. I just have other issues to work on!

It's worth having the basics checked.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
You can see straight away from that video (shot by the range dwarf :D!!) that you are straightening your right leg during your backswing, one of the other pics you have at the top of your backswing shows that too. The clubface is also very strong at that point so will want to send everything left when back at the ball.

I'd still go with posture, set up etc. This will probably help when trying to hold the flex in that right knee too.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Ask your pro to check your grip. It looks way strong to me which is hitting it low and left.
Compare your grip to this in a mirror

fviewgrip-1-1.jpg

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
A change of grip will feel strange and will take a while to get used to it. Dont try and change too much at once.

Get the grip and the aim sorted and you will spend more time on the fairway :)

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
from what i remember that one went right!!

The reason you hit the low left hook is because you rolled your hands over before the clubhead got to the ball, this can be blamed on several things...

Rolling the wrists to 'release' the club:
It's a taboo, it doesn't exist, possibly the worst thing ever written in golf, as you roll you close down the clubface, delofting and hitting left. Yes your arms can turn over each other, but only AFTER you've hit the ball, and only as much as the through swing dictates.

Strong grip:
Your right hand tries to go over the top of the left during your thoughswing, closing down the clubface, delofting and hitting left.

Not driving/turning your hips:
Your hips don't rotate, this means your arms will swing right around your body and drag the ball left... not much delofting but it's going left! :)

You have all 3 of these problems to a degree.

I would recommend that you stop rolling your wrists, soften your right hand grip a little (there's nothing wrong with a strong grip for drawers of the ball, just not TOO strong) and ensure that you are thrusting and turning your hips through the shots properly.

hiprrs.gif

Ask your pro about squaring the clubface by rotating your hips... if he tells you to roll your wrists I'll come up there and have a word in his ear for you