National Anthems

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
The concept of a national song to be sung at sporting events was started by the Welsh.
In 1905 New Zealand rugby team came to Wales and it was considered whether the home side or supporters could do anything in response to the Haka.
There was a new song that had become very popular, so they decided to do some traditional choral singing, using this new song, Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau (Land Of My Fathers)
The Welsh National Anthem was "God Bless The Prince Of Wales". Officially this has never been changed, because there has never been a way to "officially" do this.

Other countries began to adopt this singing of a song before sporting events.

It does not have to be a "national anthem", but can be whatever the general populace want it to be, by force of numbers or most popular choice.

A similar occurrence to 1905 has happened with "Sweet Caroline".

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I think you are missing the point of a National Anthem, it’s supposed to raise the blood not just be a friendly ditty… Check out the lyrics of the French or Italian anthems… Stirring stuff.

Any talk of change because a few sensitive souls are uncomfortable is just ridiculous.

Personally I love FOS, I know it’s anti English but it’s a cracking dirge to rally to.
Worked a treat on Friday 🤣

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
For England I’ve thought for a while that some appropriate words could be written to the tune of Greensleeves…could there be a more English old folk song…substituting England for Greensleeves in the chorus.

babylonsinger

Visit site
Find my own nation's anthem rousing and stirring and enjoy belting it out (usually at the football). Also enjoy a number of other anthems for the same reason (a few like Italy and France have already been mentioned - I also like Australia and Argentina amongst others)

Appreciate they aren't for everyone mind so each to their own

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Find my own nation's anthem rousing and stirring and enjoy belting it out (usually at the football). Also enjoy a number of other anthems for the same reason (a few like Italy and France have already been mentioned - I also like Australia and Argentina amongst others)

Appreciate they aren't for everyone mind so each to their own
Yes, Wales has a cracking Anthem... one of the best!!