National Anthems

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
A debate started on the Scottish football thread about FoS, I started talking about the need to change the UK anthem.

An anthem about 1 individual, who many have no time for, is not for me. Go into the other verses, which no one ever does to be fair, and it's about military victories, suppressing other nations. Dated and not exactly friendly.

FoS is equally set in the past, talking about battles and rivalries.

Surely we need to be more together, looking forward. More positive.

No need to be stuck with old words, old or existing lyrics. Why not commission new words new music?

Thoughts?
I frankly don't see the need for any national anthems at sporting events.

At least "God Save the King" is a nicer tune than "The Star Spangled Banner."
So is "O Canada."
So is "La Marseillaise."

Mexico's "Himno Nacional Mexicano" isn't too swift, though.
Hear that one at a lot of boxing matches, and it takes forever.
We may have that one beat.

Still, I don't really need to hear any of them.

RichA

Visit site
Personally I like the Russian anthem. I find the muisic very stirring, but not the people.
Yeah. Obviously don't know the words, but your communist dictatorships always knew how to bang out a good national anthem. The Central and South American ones with a brass section were always stirring.
For England I'd ditch GSTK and replace it with On Ilkla Moor Baht At. Great for a military band too.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Maybe there could be modern sports hymns.

I imagine Hans Zimmer doing one for Germany. He already does BMW
Andrew Lloyd Webber does the English one.
Ennio Morricone for Italy, if he is still alive.
John Williams does the USA of course.
Kylie for Aussies, Enya for Ireland.

Or, you have to use your Eurovision entry in the following tournaments.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I’ll say again…for England maybe use the tune of Greensleeves with new appropriate lyrics and singing ‘England’ where the current lyrics have ‘Greensleeves’ - perfectly positioned at the start of the chorus to be belted out with mucho gusto.

And for Scotland…MacLean’s Caledonia will do very nicely thankyou - maybe with words tweaked to be a bit less wistful exile harking back to the ‘homeland’ 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I think 'I vow to thee my country' for England.
For Scotland 'Westering Home'
Well Westering Home (Eilean mo Chridh’) is indeed lovely…as are the Eriskay Love Lilt and Tiree Love Song. Problem is…there is strong rivalries between the Hebridean islands and to have an Islay song as an anthem…well pigs would be flying 😉

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think 'I vow to thee my country' for England.
For Scotland 'Westering Home'
I have to say the words of an anthem don't worry me to much I don't take them very seriously. However the music to GSTK is a dirge, Holst is miles better, not sure if it is suited to mass participation singing though.