National Anthems

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
A debate started on the Scottish football thread about FoS, I started talking about the need to change the UK anthem.

An anthem about 1 individual, who many have no time for, is not for me. Go into the other verses, which no one ever does to be fair, and it's about military victories, suppressing other nations. Dated and not exactly friendly.

FoS is equally set in the past, talking about battles and rivalries.

Surely we need to be more together, looking forward. More positive.

No need to be stuck with old words, old or existing lyrics. Why not commission new words new music?

Thoughts?

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Don’t think you see too manh countries changing their national anthem and tbh not sure it matters too much in the grand scheme of things

GSTK is fine

Like the crowd doing Jerusalem before cricket

Not sure why anyone would get bothered by a national anthem

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
I think you are missing the point of a National Anthem, it’s supposed to raise the blood not just be a friendly ditty… Check out the lyrics of the French or Italian anthems… Stirring stuff.

Any talk of change because a few sensitive souls are uncomfortable is just ridiculous.

Personally I love FOS, I know it’s anti English but it’s a cracking dirge to rally to.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
England has changed it's flag over the last 30 odd years to the St Georges Cross.
It now needs to do likewise with the British anthem they continue to use.

Hmm goes back to the 14th Century at least.

If you're talking about football fans previously using the Union Flag as well, that might be to differentiate ourselves to the rare occasions we are not the only Home Nation at a final 😁😁