Name in gold on board comps

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I was talking in the clubhouse after todays game. We were rattling away and I said something along the lines of “ it don’t matter coz my names on that wall in Gold” . I won captains day about 7 years ago. One of the lads said “ I think you will find it’s not”. I assured him it was.However it’s not. Apparently a couple of months ago the club had a lick of paint in the back room where all the board comp winners names and comp details were. They decided to take all the winners boards down and replace them with A4 sized picture frames and print the names on a piece of paper. That way they can be easily changed every year. Bottom line, they look cheap and tacky.
Anyone else had this upgrade ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We had the old fashioned gold letter boards but about five years ago went to a more modern perspex and black lettering style which looks much better. We managed to get someone in to photograph the old boards, shrink them and put them into a collage which we have on a wall as you enter the bar. I think the old gold letter boards can look impressive in the right setting but I agree with the OP that the names on paper doesn't sound good and does sound cheap

I am a four time honour board winner and I take pride at my achievements. I try and play my best in every comp and if I am lucky enough to win so be it but I am not fixated on getting my name on the boards. Don't see them in any way as a barrier to handicap improvement

Last edited:

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No, really not important unless it’s the scratch club champs. Board comps are a barrier to handicap improvement. Many get fixated on ‘winning’ and actually getting better at golf is secondary
Yes I see that as well.
I am lucky to have won a few board competitions, but this was as an improving golfer. But those guys that protect their handicap to get a board competition are wasting their time, they need to have the capability to get 10shots below it and to manipulate to that level is hard work.
But it’s a bit harsh to dismiss other results because it’s not scratch .. I have been in competitions where they will award lowest gross , best net and overall winner..but not to one person. I have won that type of competition as well and only taken one prize despite having lowest gross , best net, but it wasn’t deemed to be a scratch competition- as there are qualifying conditions often associated to scratch competitions that stop certain entries. So they are not the most important they are just there to appease the guys who go low but not low enough to justify their ego and complain that someone has their statistically possible best round on the day.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We have many such winners boards around the clubhouse, with the main boards (ladies and gents club champions, singles and pairs knockout winners, club captain), being in prime visibility locations.

They are to me an important part of the fabric of a members golf club and in the continuity given by painted lettering on the same board going back many, many decades, the value the club places upon its competitions and the history of the club as a celebration of the past as these members built our present. I highlight that as I believe it to be very important to me.

I have my name on one of our boards (winter singles K/O) and I am very proud of that as, to me, it reflects the pride I have in being a member of my club and that I am a part of the history of the club - albeit in a very small way.

I wouldn’t like to see the boards relegated and hidden away to be replaced by the names printed on sheets of A4.

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
We have many such winners boards around the clubhouse, with the main boards (ladies and gents club champions, singles and pairs knockout winners, club captain), being in prime visibility locations.

They are to me an important part of the fabric of a members golf club and in the continuity given by painted lettering on the same board going back many, many decades, the value the club places upon its competitions and the history of the club as a celebration of the past as these members built our present. I highlight that as I believe it to be very important to me.

I have my name on one of our boards (winter singles K/O) and I am very proud of that as, to me, it reflects the pride I have in being a member of my club and that I am a part of the history of the club - albeit in a very small way.

I wouldn’t like to see the boards relegated and hidden away to be replaced by the names printed on sheets of A4.

This all day long. Ironically I was in the Secretarys office before yesterdays round enquiring re a future event. On the wall was a picture of our course when it was having the back nine built. It was an aerial shot. The change in 20 years re trees etc is astonishing. The Secretary remarked he took the photo and it shows the history of the club. For me, so does the honours boards.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
We had the old fashioned gold letter boards but about five years ago went to a more modern perspex and black lettering style which looks much better. We managed to get someone in to photograph the old boards, shrink them and put them into a collage which we have on a wall as you enter the bar. I think the old gold letter boards can look impressive in the right setting but I agree with the OP that the names on paper doesn't sound good and does sound cheap

I am a four time honour board winner and I take pride at my achievements. I try and play my best in every comp and if I am lucky enough to win so be it but I am not fixated on getting my name on the boards. Don't see them in any way as a barrier to handicap improvement

Goodness me, can't agree with that at all mate. The boards in clubhouses look fantastic, I do despair at the signwriters who can't keep to the same format as the previous year(s), but otherwise you've got to be aesthetically lacking to prefer a lump of paper and plastic.

We have both, in the late 80s we introduced our first boards for the ladies & gents Captains, wooden, gold leaf lettering. In the last decade we introduced the paper/perspex type for our Club Champions (we have no other boards), there is no doubt whatsoever which is best.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have told this story before, but at my old club, which was at a council-run public course, the council removed all of the honour's boards from the clubhouse, got rid of them all. They reckoned a cleaner look would make the place more appealing as a wedding/party venue. The proposed replacement was an electronic pedestal tucked away in the entrance hallway, which would cycle through all the various honours and comps on a loop. Not sure if that ever got put in in the end. The stupidest thing is that only a few months after making their venue more wedding-friendly (apparently), the catering contract expired and they've not managed to get any new caterers in for nearly 3 years now. Useless.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was trying to remember what ours look like, they go up the stairs to our second floor area, as I don't take any notice in all honesty. I suspect most people don't. They matter to the person who has their name on there, for everyone else it is the equivalent of white noise to walk past. From memory I think we have modern boards with gold, adhesive backed, name plates that are attached each year. I suspect that is much cheaper than getting an engraver in each year.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our club changed a lot of them to plastic boards with coloured back grounds and black letters to fit in with the new decor for the 'modernised' lounge. At the same time they were removed from the main lounge area and moved to what we all call the back bar.

We still have some originals in the hallway.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site

This resonates a lot with me....I love going to clubs with a bit of history and looking at honours boards that date back many decades. you see stuff like Joe Bloggs being Club Champion 5 or 6 times back in the 1950's then another name becomes prominent and all of a sudden Joe Bloggs wins it again in the late 1960's and you wonder about the achievement to come back after some wilderness years and win it again. Or perhaps you might then see Joe and Fred Bloggs winning the father and son championships and then in the 70's Fred Bloggs becomes Club Champion. There is a rich history "engraved" upon such boards and I love scouring back through time looking at the names of the winners.

However there is a club close to me, a hotel based golf club, relatively young compared to many, who don't really have a clubhouse. They too use the aluminium picture frame and a piece of printed A4 as their "boards" and they are all mounted down the long corridor from the entrance, to the driving range/golf reception are. They work in that environment as its a well worn corridor down which golfers trudge their muddy gear and trolleys, often bashing and scuffing the walls as they go. They are not pretty but they work in that environment. Equally in some modern clubs with a light and airy atmosphere, wooden boards with gold leaf lettering may not work as well as the clear perspex boards with black lettering that you sometimes see. In the right setting they can be very attractive.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Much will depend on the setting & audience I suppose

I remember my High School had similar wooden boards with gold lettering with the headmasters names on it. It was an old building, lots of similarly old wood paneling etc (& probably entirely coincidentally) for the most part, an aging staff of teachers … they knocked the school down and built a new modern school. I don’t believe they relocated the ‘boards’.
Not sure I ever stood in front pondering the names and their contribution & I’d bet a pound to a barrel of monkeys the newer (younger) teachers didn’t either but in their time I imagine the named were hugely proud of their achievement being recorded in that manner

Probably a similar suitability for 'gold' boards in older/traditional golf clubs compared to modern designed clubhouses

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I have told this story before, but at my old club, which was at a council-run public course, the council removed all of the honour's boards from the clubhouse, got rid of them all. They reckoned a cleaner look would make the place more appealing as a wedding/party venue. The proposed replacement was an electronic pedestal tucked away in the entrance hallway, which would cycle through all the various honours and comps on a loop. Not sure if that ever got put in in the end. The stupidest thing is that only a few months after making their venue more wedding-friendly (apparently), the catering contract expired and they've not managed to get any new caterers in for nearly 3 years now. Useless.
See also of as we talked as we walked through the tunnel under the road at Camberley Heath.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I love going to clubs with a bit of history and looking at honours boards that date back many decades. you see stuff like Joe Bloggs being Club Champion 5 or 6 times back in the 1950's then another name becomes prominent and all of a sudden Joe Bloggs wins it again in the late 1960's and you wonder about the achievement to come back after some wilderness years and win it again. Or perhaps you might then see Joe and Fred Bloggs winning the father and son championships and then in the 70's Fred Bloggs becomes Club Champion. There is a rich history "engraved" upon such boards and I love scouring back through time looking at the names of the winners.

However there is a club close to me, a hotel based golf club, relatively young compared to many, who don't really have a clubhouse. They too use the aluminium picture frame and a piece of printed A4 as their "boards" and they are all mounted down the long corridor from the entrance, to the driving range/golf reception are. They work in that environment as its a well worn corridor down which golfers trudge their muddy gear and trolleys, often bashing and scuffing the walls as they go. They are not pretty but they work in that environment. Equally in some modern clubs with a light and airy atmosphere, wooden boards with gold leaf lettering may not work as well as the clear perspex boards with black lettering that you sometimes see. In the right setting they can be very attractive.

Just 100% of this mind. Most recently I recall sitting in the bar of Southerness - looking through names, years and winning scores on the club champions board. It was fascinating and raised questions in my mind about these members and their scores that I put to the steward - instigating a really interesting discussion around the club and the course.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Much will depend on the setting & audience I suppose

I remember my High School had similar wooden boards with gold lettering with the headmasters names on it. It was an old building, lots of similarly old wood paneling etc (& probably entirely coincidentally) for the most part, an aging staff of teachers … they knocked the school down and built a new modern school. I don’t believe they relocated the ‘boards’.
Not sure I ever stood in front pondering the names and their contribution & I’d bet a pound to a barrel of monkeys the newer (younger) teachers didn’t either but in their time I imagine the named were hugely proud of their achievement being recorded in that manner

Probably a similar suitability for 'gold' boards in older/traditional golf clubs compared to modern designed clubhouses
It’s an aside on club boards…but on school boards and the historical record that they and club boards give us.

My mum, her sister and her two brothers were all awarded the Dux Medal (top of final year) at their school - The Royal School of Dunkeld. Their names are on the Dux Medal boards of the school (gold letter on dark brown wood ?) with one now relocated to the Dunkeld Local History and Scottish Horse museum in the square in Dunkeld. The more recent board is wall-mounted as you enter the museum and many visitors will see and some will read the names on the board, and some will ask one of the volunteers about their being three Seatons - are they related - and they will be told of the fourth on the missing board and they may learn of how they were the children of a poor gamekeeper of the Atholl Estates and his wife - a low level maid to the Duchess of Atholl, and how they were a very well known family in the story of the village all through the 30s and 40s. And as a wider family we are very proud of our parents and grandparents and how they strove so hard to improve the lot of their children, and of us the generation that followed, built on their hard work and sacrifice. And so every time I visit the museum I read the names; pause; reflect, and give thanks.

And so similarly I can read a lot into the historical record of a golf club through their boards. It’s important and IMO shouldn’t be dismissed lightly.

Last edited:

Leftitshort

Visit site
I love looking at the boards at ours. Lovely history to them all.

Laminated printed sheets sounds rank tbh.

What next. LCD monitors with a revolving power point presentation and your Name in word art ?
I’m not advocating no boards, just less. Club champion, scratch open. Summer knockouts maybe.
No one cares who won the mixed Texas scramble handicaps 24-32 in 1982