Naga Munchetty

WWG

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
For those of you who don't know who she is, Naga is a news reader on BBC in the morning. She is a golf nut, and started to play a few years ago (plays off 11). The reason I have posted a thread is because of the way she started to play the game. Didn't play on a course for about three months, and just took lessons, hit balls on the range, and used the practice green. First time out on the course she went round in 47 on a 9 hole. I have been playing 5 months and my best round is still 52. There is surely a lot to be said by doing things by the book.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
For those of you who don't know who she is, Naga is a news reader on BBC in the morning. She is a golf nut, and started to play a few years ago (plays off 11). The reason I have posted a thread is because of the way she started to play the game. Didn't play on a course for about three months, and just took lessons, hit balls on the range, and used the practice green. First time out on the course she went round in 47 on a 9 hole. I have been playing 5 months and my best round is still 52. There is surely a lot to be said by doing things by the book.

Just one small correction. She is a member of our club and her actual handicap is 9. :)

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Think I read somewhere else that Ricky fowlers start in golf was purely range based for considerable time so yeah if you can concentrate on ball striking purely then there's possibly something in that

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Lessons certainly won't hurt but she might also have an eye for golf, especially if she plays other ball sports like Tennis.

Not sure if she is a member there or not, but a friend of mine bumped into her at Betchworth Park GC a couple of years ago.

D

Deleted member 15344

What do you mean "by the book" ?

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Think I read somewhere else that Ricky fowlers start in golf was purely range based for considerable time so yeah if you can concentrate on ball striking purely then there's possibly something in that
I learned how to play golf at night school many years ago, hitting airflow plastic balls off coconut matting in a school sports hall. Did that during the winter months and never set foot on a real golf course until the following spring. My first score on a 9 hole course was 54, but I hadn't quite got the hang of putting on real greens. After joining a club I quite rapidly got my handicap down to 12 and then more slowly down to 6. Unfortunately I stopped playing at that point due to career and educational reasons. However those early lessons stood me in good stead, and even as a Senior I have been as low as 10.

D

Deleted member 15344

Here we go.....

Is it not a valid question ?

There is so many ways for people to learn to play golf with not one a guarantee to suit everyone - so interested to see which method he sees is "by the book"

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd argue that it is just a figure of speech rather than the corner stone of his argument.

A figure of speech that you have latched on to in order to argue over semantics

Still.

Fill yer boots.

D

Deleted member 15344

I'd argue that it is just a figure of speech rather than the corner stone of his argument.

A figure of speech that you have latched on to in order to argue over semantics

Still.

Fill yer boots.

It was a simple question and it appeared to be the "cornerstone of his opinion" as it was a statement at the end of the OP that seemed to be a conclusion - no semantics at all.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It was a simple question and it appeared to be the "cornerstone of his opinion" as it was a statement at the end of the OP that seemed to be a conclusion - no semantics at all.

No

The corner stone of his post was that some lass of the telly got down to single figures. this may have been acheived by concentrating on multiple range sessions instead of heading straight the course.

Your reply was nothing to do with the OP (i.e good option / bad option etc)

Instead it was a fish hook, loaded with the potential to divert the thread. A diversion that would have no doubt cracked in over lots of pages of you arguing the toss over the phrase (and it's just a phrase) 'by the book'.

Perhaps I have this all wrong?

It would not be the first time. However

I'm pretty confident in how it would have panned out.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Just one small correction. She is a member of our club and her actual handicap is 9. :)

Post a selfie of you both or we don't believe you.;)

I actually know someone who has been interviewed by Susanna Reid and also Naga on breakfast TV. And he said that in the flesh Naga is much more naturally beautiful.

D

Deleted member 15344

No

The corner stone of his post was that some lass of the telly got down to single figures. this may have been acheived by concentrating on multiple range sessions instead of heading straight the course.

Your reply was nothing to do with the OP (i.e good option / bad option etc)

Instead it was a fish hook, loaded with the potential to divert the thread. A diversion that would have no doubt cracked in over lots of pages of you arguing the toss over the phrase (and it's just a phrase) 'by the book'.

Perhaps I have this all wrong?

It would not be the first time. However

I'm pretty confident in how it would have panned out.

This is pathetic

I just wanted to know what he meant by the conclusion by the book and if it was in some way a connection towards a way to learn golf which is exactly what the OP was about "learning to play golf" hence my question

No semantics no diverting of thread - you have successfully managed to achieve that yourself with the accusations towards an innocent question

But well done you for attempting to belittle me and forcing me to justify myself to you.

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i think you will find she was the southern ladies champion or something like that ,i e-mailed her and asked if she fancied a game when the weather breaks as she lives in Manchester part of the week.