My Work

The Gopher

Hacker
Visit site
I only just signed up, I thought I'd post some pictures up of my work and current golf course.

The view to the 2nd Green from the medal tee ( par 3 203 yards )
23062009291.jpg

The view to our 5th green, which is a dog leg Par 4. Landing area is normally the bottom of the slope, between 100-150 yards approach shot.
5thhh.jpg

The view from our 3rd green, looking down ( to the right ) towards the tee. 238 yard Par 4
3rdd.jpg

One of my favourite pictures, looking down the 9th Fairway towards the tee
9thagain.jpg

The 9th again, looking up towards the green for your approach shot
9thfairway.jpg

This is the new teeing area for the 9th tee

9thteee.jpg

The 9th green
workkk.jpg

The course is Oatridge Golf Course, situated 10 miles from Edinburgh. It is only a 9 hole course, but there are 17 tees so the course plays different the second time around ( apart from the 4th hole ) when playing off the white tees.

Last edited:

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Looks very nice indeed Gopher. Didn't even realise there was one there, always thought it was just the college.
What are green fees and available tees like? Maybe take a trek down at the weekend.

The Gopher

Hacker
Visit site
Lovely! Your work? do tell....

Thank you. I am the 1st assistant greenkeeper, I have been in this kind of work for coming on 13 years.

Looks very nice indeed Gopher. Didn't even realise there was one there, always thought it was just the college.
What are green fees and available tees like? Maybe take a trek down at the weekend.

Thanks mate. It is part of the college, they used to do most of the greenkeeper training here until they moved it to Elmwood. The fees are reasonable. Full membership is only £310. Pay as you play comes in at £10 for 9 holes or £16 for 18. With golf trolley's and buggies available. Anyone can phone up and book a tee time, you don't need to be a member.

The course is looking 'OK' just now, the weather has been horrendous this year, worst I have seen it in my 13 years. Greens are running great though, which is our strong point. Fairways are tight and the semi-rough can be challenging. Only 20 bunkers on the course so not alot to worry about.

The Gopher

Hacker
Visit site
Think I may pop along one day next week as I'm working in Livi all next week - easy to sneak out of the office for a couple of hours.

It is only about a 5 minute drive from Livi, depending what area you are working you are probably looking at 10 minutes max. Best days to play are Wednesday - Friday as all of the maintenance on the course is done. On your own you can do 9 holes in just over an hour. If you can let me know prior to your booking, I can get it passed with the starter for you to play off the white tees if you wanted. It's much more demanding than the yellow.

Last edited:

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for posting the pictures Gopher. Is that how the course is right now?

Looks a lovely course to play - unfortunately I'm down on the South Coast in East Sussex so unlikely I'll be playing it anytime soon.

I thought all courses in Scotland were of the "Links" variety - so our Scottish forummers tell us! (smiley face here)

The Gopher

Hacker
Visit site
Yes. Somehow I'd missed this. Good work indeed, looks terrific. The view back down the 9th is class....

Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks for posting the pictures Gopher. Is that how the course is right now?

Looks a lovely course to play - unfortunately I'm down on the South Coast in East Sussex so unlikely I'll be playing it anytime soon.

I thought all courses in Scotland were of the "Links" variety - so our Scottish forummers tell us! (smiley face here)

The most recent picture is the one of the 5th hole, that was taken 2 weeks ago. The rest are from earlier in the season ( when we had good weather ) and some from last season. They are saying today on the news that it is the wettest summer in 100 years :(