My weekend round -

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Played a pretty average game of golf on Saturday. Got home, missus asks how I played. Usual rubbish, bang on handicap again is the reply. Why is that rubbish? It just is.

My round:

1/ P4 - Sliced 3w behind tree, hack out sideways, wedge, 2 putt. Bogey.
2/ P4 - Drive, 5w, chip, 2 putt from 10 ft. Bogey
3/ P5 - Hook drive into woods. 7i out to fairway, 5w back into woods, wedge out, monster 35 ft putt. Par.
4/ P3 - Block hybrid, chip, 2 putt from 8 ft. Bogey.
5/ P4 - Drive, sliced hybrid to bunker, knifed out to impossible lie in opposite bunker, fat sand wedge, sand wedge, 2 putt. Treble bogey.
6/ P3 - Block hybrid, wedge, 2 putt. Bogey.
7/ P4 - Drive, pulled 6i, flop, 1 putt. Par
8/ P4 - Sliced 3w, pulled fat 7i, chip from thorn bush, 2 putts. Bogey.
9/ P3 - Long 9 iron, 2 putt. Par.

Front nine 8 over.

10/ P4 - Sliced drive to trees, hack out, pulled wedge to back of green, monster 40ft downhill curving putt. Par
11/ P4 - Sliced drive, fat 7i from deep rough to green, 2 putts. Par
12/ P5 - Drive (awesome), fat hybrid off tree root, fat 6i, chip, 2 putt from 18”. Bogey
13/ P5 -Drive, hybrid, chip, 2 putt. Par
14/ P4 - Drive, 5w, 2 putt. Par
15/ P4 - 3w hit ladies tee marker 10 yards in front leaving big red thumb print on new prov1, but still middle of the fairway, thin 6i, chip, 2 putt. Bogey.
16/ P3 - 5i, 2 putt. Par
17/ P4 - Drive, 7i, 2 putt. Par
18/ P5 - Thin drive buried in bank 50 yards in front, wrist breaking wedge to move forwards another 20 ft, hybrid, pulled duck hook 7i to tree, amazingly find ball in rough by green, flop, 2 putt. Double bogey.

Back nine 4 over.

Total 12 over. Handicap 11.7.

Any satisfaction in this, yes….. I took £2 off my opponent. Golfing satisfaction = none at all (ok, 33 putts is not bad, but not good either, didn’t loose any balls although I deserved to, and hit one fantastic drive). I think the only reason I didn’t loose any balls, is that I avoided the heavy rough by going straight to the trees. Cut out the middle man, that’s what I say.

And the point of this post?

I have hit the ball way better than this before (and hope to do so again), but have often scored a lot worse. I think I prefer this, as at least if you are hitting it well, you feel there is light at the end of the tunnel. On the other hand, clearly hitting the ball well is irrelevant to playing off 12 or above, and if I had chipped and putted better, this could have been a much better score, but not one destined to lead to single figures this year I think.

Now the question is: how can you play off a higher handicap than 12? you must be better than this......

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I had the worst round of my life ever yesterday - at least you are hitting your handicap.

On an up note it is always good to look over a round afterwords - what would you do to improve the round knowing what you scored at each hole?

Look over it and see - I would be taking the hybrid to the range, as there are problems just associated with it on your post.

PS do you wanna buy any golf gear :) :eek: :p

D

Deleted member 1147

Sounds like my game of late!

Recently I've been hitting the ball really well and driving straight as you like.

But yesterday I played really quite poorly in terms of my strike, and driving was terrible - only hit 4 fairways!!

But I played to 7, 3 under my H'cap, and that included a quadruple bogey!!

I won my division on countback and have been cut by 0.6 to 9.4. mainly due to putting and chipping - so those short game lessons do work!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
At least I finished with 14 clubs. My mate managed to snap his driver. Oops.

The hybrid is normally one of my 'go to' clubs, so I was a bit surprised to find it let me down to be honest.

I have been trying to stop 'getting crossed' at the top of my back swing, which has not been helping. Saturday was really the first run of the new take away, and when it worked, fantastic. Trouble is, it only really works consistently in the indoor nets with the big mirror so I can keep checking it.

A bit more practice is needed I think.

Mind you, even then, this is a fairly typical round for me. The worlds worst 12 handicapper (had this for about 14 years now, between 11 and 13 like a yoyo). On the days whan I hit it well (rare), I am about 4 over par.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
4 over net or gross?

I have had a wierd few weeks really. Striking the ball better than ever but have lost an awful lot of balls.

ought 2 dozen soft feels about 6 weeks ago and they have all gone bar two, I have to admit i gave a few away but i didnt realise how many I had lost till i felt the corner of my ball pocket!

It was all down to my pull off the tee with the driver, on a very punishing course.

Few weeks ago i shot an 87, next day 86 and a week later an 84, but then a week later, striking ball better I shot a mid 90's. Funny this game innit.

O well, keep 'chippin away' I guess!

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Played 4ball betterball interclub competition-My partner & Myself won our game(3&2)and the team also won the match.We both played well-i was very happy with my game drove 6 of 7 fairways on the back nine and to cap it all bridied the index 1 with a drive and 9 iron to 3 feet-what a great feeling to hit two of the purest shots i ever hit one after the other.

Bossman96

Club Champion
Visit site
How can you play off a higher handicap than 12? Easy! I play off 19 and suspect the main difference is distance per club. 150 from the green is probably no problem for a 12 hcap, but for me it is a good, well hit 5 iron AT LEAST. A good drive? about 190 max at the moment. So take a par 4 average length, about 380. 190 drive + 170 ish hybrid/5 wood + 20 yard chip plus 2 putts. gross bogey, nett par. And thats assuming I don't go in the trees!