My Swing- experienced members needed

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm in need of some help from the more experienced members on here.

Here is my Swing: (IM NOT LEFT HANDED, YOUTUBE UPLOADED THE VIDEO KACK HANDED)

5iron
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6M2jCden5Y

Driver
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVVU-jAmzFk

My issue is more noticeable on my Driver swing. I overswing but without really trying.
My game this year has been better than ever. I have lost my slice and since changing irons I have lost my fade. I've resisted the urge to remove this issue from my swing but now as we've moving into the off season its about time I addressed it.

Whats the best way to work on the overswing? I guess its happening due to my left knee?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I see a slight throw in the transition which starts the ball a little left and fades back.
Why do you feel you need to shorten the swing if you are driving well?
Mickleson overswings and he's not done too badly.
When you look down at the ball, imagine theres a red dot on the bottom right corner of the ball.
Try and hit that spot and see what happens

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Quite a nice golf swing, well done.

You are straightening your trail knee in the backswing and this is allowing you to lift up and create a slight reverse pivot. This position does encourage an overswing, leak power and create misshits.

I cannot express enough the importance of keeping the trail knee flexed throughout the swing.

Airlie_Andy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If you think that's an overswing you should see mine!! I'm having lessons to correct a few things and didn't even realise I was overswinging. As said above try doing what you think is a 3/4 swing and it will probably be just right.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
You are not taking the club away properly, you are dragging it round flat behind you with your arms. This results in a certain amount of 'lifting', the club then overswings, it crosses the line and the only recovery is to throw the club from the top (out-to-in).

I'd suggest you work on the position of the club when it's parallel to the ground on the backswing....

Here's your backswing (flipped back properly) with the clubhead somewhere near your right shin....

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3998/lump.gif

and here's Nick Faldo...

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/9900/faldo.gif

I'm not saying you should swing quite as high as he does but swinging round your ankles will put you in an awful position at the top... you're too flat on your takeaway :)

Last edited:

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
If it working for you,( nowt wrong with a fade, as long as it does not turn into a slice). Why change it. As Brian says the back leg should keep the flex though out. Plus your balance seems to be on you toes a bit. But hay what do I know. Just if it an't broke don't fix it.

P.S. You should see my swing if you want a laugh. But the ball goes straight and its repeatable.

Last edited:

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
You are not taking the club away properly, you are dragging it round flat behind you with your arms. This results in a certain amount of 'lifting', the club then overswings, it crosses the line and the only recovery is to throw the club from the top (out-to-in).

I'd suggest you work on the position of the club when it's parallel to the ground on the backswing....

Here's your backswing (flipped back properly) with the clubhead somewhere near your right shin....

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3998/lump.gif

and here's Nick Faldo...

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/9900/faldo.gif

I'm not saying you should swing quite as high as he does but swinging round your ankles will put you in an awful position at the top... you're too flat on your takeaway :)

Thank you very much Justone. Thats exactly what I was looking for.

I'll give it a go tonight and get another video up.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
A word of caution...
If you take it back straighter then lift then throw, it will just make things worse.
Just keep you eye on that and if you can hit some balls off the grass, check your divot line and make sure it's not left of your target.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not as diplomatic as Bob. Not really much wrong with your takeaway. Take note of what Bob says, as he is a TEACHING PRO. Its his job.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm not as diplomatic as Bob. Not really much wrong with your takeaway. Take note of what Bob says, as he is a TEACHING PRO. Its his job.

To be fair, what James says is right.
Alot of people swing it back on the inside then in an attempt to get it back on line they re-route it at the top by throwing it. Sadly, most of the time it's overdone and the club is then on the outside to in coming down.
The trick is to try and get the shaft on the downswing pointing at the target when it's parallel with the ground.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I think your stretching/reaching for it at address, stand a bit closer, let the arms hang and possibly the very flat takeaway might fix itself.
I imagine you get a lot of low penetrating flights, occasional blocks and some block slices?

P.S was that an iPhone to video? might try that

Last edited:

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bob not having a go at anybody. Just conflicting posts. To be honest I hope you know what your talking about.:D ... ;) Otherwise we are all knackerd.:rolleyes:

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am wondering if it would really matter that you are right or left handed. I thought that it is still the same like with any other sports. Somehow it makes me wonder if it is an advantage to be left-handed or not.

Dont want to pinch the thread. But in reply to the above. I do find that most courses are set up for right handers. In that most doglegs suit a righthanded fade. A fade being the most common shot in golf. I have to hit a draw on these holes(I'm a lefty). Maybe it just the courses I have played?