My Study of OBFL versus NBFL

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Patrick, do you consider this explanation of shot shaping to be OBFL, NBFL, or something else altogether?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN0wPnLYNy4

It's OBFL and is wrong. I am not suggesting Justin cant shape balls but he was taught in the USA where the USPGA teach the old incorrect ball flight laws. He does not do what he says though.

These two videos may help. The first is a discussion on the topic the other is an explanation of what happens with differing impact conditions.

I hope they help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AlFVMmBLcQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnq6TiXw7wU&feature=related

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not to mention how the speed of the club may have an influence on how the swingpath affects the balls initial direction :whistle:

Oooh dangerous - you are just a plain trouble maker ;)
Evryone knows that a slowly hit ball doesnt spin

(actually... there might be something in that ....?!)

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Probably Bob, does that mean no one else can comment. Just trying to be helpful.

I thought he had given it though.

Everyone is welcome to comment, and yours Brian is one of the opinions I take seriously, but I was just trying to get clarification from Patrick.

Unless I've missed it in the plethora of otherwise 'politicised' posts, he has never agreed that the OBFL state to aim the face where you want the ball to finish.
Whether that is by accident or design I don't know.

It seems a bit odd to argue that the 2 schools of thought aren't that far apart if you don't understand what each is saying to begin with.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Everyone is welcome to comment, and yours Brian is one of the opinions I take seriously, but I was just trying to get clarification from Patrick.

Unless I've missed it in the plethora of otherwise 'politicised' posts, he has never agreed that the OBFL state to aim the face where you want the ball to finish.
Whether that is by accident or design I don't know.

It seems a bit odd to argue that the 2 schools of thought aren't that far apart if you don't understand what each is saying to begin with.

It's just that I posted that same video of Justin Rose earlier in the thread and asked Patrick if he agreed with what Justin said, but true to form I got a bit of an indirect reply.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's just that I posted that same video of Justin Rose earlier in the thread and asked Patrick if he agreed with what Justin said, but true to form I got a bit of an indirect reply.

Sorry, hadn't noticed it had already been posted. I may have been slipping in and out of consciousness searching for 'the truth'. :D

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Sorry, hadn't noticed it had already been posted. I may have been slipping in and out of consciousness searching for 'the truth'. :D

Its not difficult to sort out. At the range take a mid iron, make some shots with the clubface pointing straight ahead and try swinging out-to-in, In-to-out, by varing degrees. Try opening the face and swinging the same way, try closing the face and doing the same. You will soon find out what works and what doesn't.