My Slice.. sorry swing.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Got the mrs to sit very still with me mobile last night at the range, poor soul was freezin. Any way, take a look people and see what ya think. I am a slicer so can anyone give me any tips? i have spotted a couple of things am doing wrong but am sure you lot will be able to find plenty more :p

was a strong left to right wind last night so that didnt help. haha

Tony's Wild slice

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well done Tony for have the haw maws to put yourself out there. I hope everybody does this as it is good to see other folks foibles.

You will slice the ball due to your grip (left hand low) so that is not a great problem. The top of your swing is excellent and you have a big arc ... BUT ... is your right leg locking at the top of the swing ???? I do the very same, it is like having a wee blanky on the course, it makes me feel anchored.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Madandra i think my leg might lock, Is there a cure for this, do i bend my knee's more. I have another two vids of my 9 iron and PW i have noticed that when i rotate my head is not over my right foot, so i may not be rotating far enough or transfering weight correctly. Problem is, being a beginer i dont know what am doing right?

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Well done for putting it up matey, everyone (as mentioned above) should be putting a clip or two up as there are really only so many variants of a golf swing so your swing wil certainly be similar to others and any advice may also help them.
In my opinion (I play of 9 currently so hey! it may not be that valid) you are swinging beyond yourself, by that I mean your backswing looks very tame, by tame please let me explain. You are swaying which means you are leaning to your right on your backswing, this stops you from getting a full turn in, watching your video you are turning your shoulders but not your waist, by getting a good turn you are getting good weight transfer. Because you are swinging with your arms and not your whole upper torso, you are losing a hell of a lot of torque. If you take a 1/4 off that swing on the way back and give your donswing more power, ie more turn and welly it, I think the swing will sort out some of that slice and give you a fade at worse, as mentioned above your grip is going to give you a little trouble with anything other than left to right ball paths.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cheers Brendy, i had noticed that i was bringing my club too far back (more so with my irons i think) Should i lesson the amount that the club comes back, is that what your saying? As for my grip, agreed its caggy but i have spoken to other golfers who said dont change it, it works well anyway. I hardly ever slice my irons, just my driver. I have tried left hand at top and it feels wrong and to difficult. I have a mate who plays left hand at bottom and his driving is awsomely accurate, but not long.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Tony,

Well done for the video. Don't worry too much about playing cack handed. My coach teaches John Gallagher who plays likewise and he's off +4 or something ridiculous and has reached the final of the British Amateur a couple of years ago.

Agree with Brendy about the overswing, though. Try to get more resistance into the swing. You seem very loose and are getting a wee reverse pivot in there. And it's quite obvious you're swinging out to in on the way down. Keep the clubface inside the hands on the way into the ball to cure that.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Could you elberate on reverse pivot and keeping the club face in side the hands please. (sorry if this is me being thick)

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Tony,

It just seems to me from the video that you're keeping most of your weight on your left foot all the way to the top of your swing. Probably because you're trying to swing long to get more power. This is a reverse pivot. Here's the definition:-

Reverse Pivot
(also "reverse weight transfer, reverse weight shift") when the weight is on the front foot (closest to the target) on the backswing and the rear foot (farthest from the target) on the downswing and follow-through (this is the direct opposite of the proper sequence)

and how Butch Harmon describes it, here

http://www.golfinternationalmag.co.uk/harmon/reversepivot.htm

Basically, get more of your weight on your right foot at the top of your swing (with your right knee still flexed) to allow you to tranfer it all to your left on the downswing and follow through. You'll probably find that your backswing will feel a lot shorter and tighter.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
John thats great mate thanks, might explain why my head isnt over my right foot when i am rotating in the back swing. I will defo try this at the range, (just gutted its shut till monday)

Any more for any more?

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
What are you off TonyN?

I'm rather impressed with this (unlikely for me, I know) and there is lots of encouraging stuff.

I tried to slow it down and do some pausing (seems to work better on youtube b.t.w.) and there are some real positives.

I'd be convinced that your grip must be causing some grief, your top-of-swing is not bad (from the perspective of your arms) but the floppy overswing doesn't seem to be a good return for your excellent work. With a face-on video (not down-the-line) I'd see what your right arm is doing "immediately" after the club starts it's route back down.

I'd be tempted a) to get your arms a little closer to your body and maybe drop the hands a tad b) keep the flex in your right knee more on the backswing c) work on routing the club back on the inside and hold off the turning of your torso until much later.

t.b.h. it's hard to tell without enough frames. It's really encouraging though.....I reckon there's some talent there mate!!

PS......send me a PM sometime, I reckon we might be close enough to meet up (with the other dave) for a range session and a pint!!

Gasp

Head Pro
Visit site
Tony, 1st of all can I say.. Great Posture, really fine set up. The grip is an odd one and I think a slight contributer to your problem, but not insurmountable. The main problem I believe is your first move in the down swing. The knowledgable forum members are I believe quite correct in highlighting your overswing. This leads to a loss of control of the club head. It looks like you're trying to get back on plane by casting slightly with your hands and arms at the begining of the down swing. This gets the club head infront of you and your swing path becomes "out to in", another term is comming over the top.

One way to correct this is to shorten the backswing (sorry to mention this again regulars) by holding a towel or head cover under your arm and not letting it fall. Then let the first move at the top be a tug down with the hands (pulling the bell rope)as you rotate your torso back to the ball. This will promote an in to out swing path, and hopefully go some way to curing your slice.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Being a 15 h/capper and a leftie to boot I certainly don't feel qualified to give advice about swings and how to correct faults. I did however try to simulate a swing with a "wrong way round" grip.

I found that I couldn't get a proper shoulder turn against the resistance of the legs and torso and this grip seemed to force the club face to be open through the swing. It seemed to me that it would require a very deliberate and exactly timed wrist roll to get the club face square at impact to eliminate the slice.

If you haven't been playing too long and therefore 100% committed to your grip, it might be an idea to try one that's more usual.

Dunno. It might be worth giving it a try at the range. It will feel most odd at first however. In any event I would recommend enlisting the help of a pro, particularly one who has video analysis facilities so you can see frame by frame what you are doing.

Over the years I've played with a couple of guys with a similar grip. Both were in the building trade and very, very strong lads. Consequently they only needed to half to three quarter swing so were able to keep the clubface more square on back and down swings. But, boy, did they hit a long ball - but not necessarily always in the same direction.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
wow thanks guys. Tonight i will re-study this post and make some key points and be down the range first thing tomorrow to put some of them to the test.
Dave, i dont have a handicap mate, well apart from the mrs- she dont let me play as often as i want ha ha. But seriously i have always played golf since i was a kid but only with a 7 iron on the field or pitch and putt. But i only actually took up golf in october so been playing 4 months maybe, before this i never even touched a driver. The only way i have learnt anythin is by watching video's people at the range and picking up odd tips off people. I have been using the same grip now for far to long to change.it feels to unnatural, i have tried. And yeah dave will defo be up for a range session. Am in chester to give ya an idea.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ok, got bored in work and re-studied the post, made some notes and came up with a plan.

This is what i intend to implement tommorow morning at the range.

1) Set up with 60% weight on right leg keeping both legs flexed through out swing. (is this right or should the left leg lock at some point after contact)???

2)Keep backswing short (about 3/4) and fully rotate hips and torso, keep arms closer to body.

3) Pull down (ring bell) to begin the down swing, rotate fully and transfere weight to left side (at what point? impact?)

Does this sound about right for what everyone is suggesting?

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't think about the latter part of 1., Tony. It should happen as a reaction if you simply keep the right leg flexed on the way back. Forget your left leg for now.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you swing it nice you will end up over your left foot standing tall at the finish to your swing.

If you don't want to change your grip because it's uncomfotable to do so.....all the more reason.....if there is something not right about it you'll struggle more in the long run......

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Changing my grip is not gonna happen, its like sucking ya thumb as a baby, Its just feels to darn good.

And yeah its a nice cobra F-speed, 12degrees loft reg flex alida shaft

cannot wait to get on range now and start rippin it up! If can, will try do another vid in week or two to show some if any improvements.