My first lesson....EVER!

RaCs

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi guys!

Hope you have all had a smashing weekend! I just wanted to share my experience with you all! Any comments, feedback and/or tips are welcome!

To be honest with you I didn’t know what to expect. Of course I knew was going to be having a lesson with the Head Pro of my local and I knew he was definitely going to know way more than what I know so I could only see it in a positive light! I went there with an open mind and for a reason, which is to improve and become a more consistent golfer

We kicked off the lesson with a general discussion which then moved onto what golfing experience I've had, my current handicap, what I consider my strengths and weaknesses and what my ultimate goal is…..to become a single figure handicap player through hard work, dedication and focus! After this 10/15 minute chat it was down to business.

Started by hitting a few balls in order so that the Pro could check out and analyse my setup, technique and swing. Every time I went to hit a ball I could see him wondering around me, checking me out from different angles which made me a little uncomfortable and intimidated at first but as I continued I become more relaxed and started to enjoy it. I started hitting balls with a 9 iron, moved onto a 6 iron, then a hybrid and then the driver. The pro said there was absolutely no problem with my swing and that he certainly wouldn’t associate my swing with a player with an 18 handicap but one with a much lower handicap! Had no issues with my shorter irons whatsoever. The flight and direction was spot on! Thats why i consider my short game as probably my main strength!

My main weakness is with the longer clubs where I have the habit of hitting/slicing the ball off to the right. He spotted this immediately offered some advice on how to start correcting this. After a few adjustments to my stance and shoulder alignment, I started to hit the ball straighter and on occasions, a slight draw! I also experienced more distance and a more penetrating ball flight! Almost instantly my enthusiasm and determination to improve suddenly became greater! As expected, this “new” setup did feel uncomfortable at first but then started to feel less so as I continued hitting balls with positive results.

I will certainly be hitting the practice grounds as much as possible this week in order to work on these adjustments as the next lesson will be a follow up from what I did today. We will also be using the trackman device in order to see my stats and figures to see what other areas we can work on.

Overall an extremely valuable lesson and well worth every penny and minute! Its so satisfying knowing that I did not require any MAJOR adjustments but just some minor tweaks! Knowing this has just made me become more determined than ever to try and achieve my ultimate goal!!

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Excellent write up. Good news that not much needs tweaking. Work on the drills and practice hard and with a purpose and use the winter to make the changes permanent. Come out for the start of the 2014 season and go low. Sounds like single figures is achievable

RaCs

Club Champion
Visit site
Excellent write up. Good news that not much needs tweaking. Work on the drills and practice hard and with a purpose and use the winter to make the changes permanent. Come out for the start of the 2014 season and go low. Sounds like single figures is achievable

Cheers buddy! Its definitely going to be a long road with ups and downs I'm sure, but fully committed to getting where I want to be! Its going to be a busy winter indeed! :) Thanks for the encouragement pal!

RaCs

Club Champion
Visit site
glad it went well for you.

could you explain what the adjustments where in greater detail please? :)

Adjustments were as follows:

1. My stance was adjusted by slightly opening out my left foot which promoted and easier and fuller turn during the backswing. This also made me feel better balanced
2. Tweak to my shoulder alignment by squaring them up to target better. The pro spotted that they were slightly open at setup! Something which I have never realised as it was minimal! By making this change my swing felt easier. I felt more control and had smoother rhythm
3. Loosened my grip and relaxed my forearms. I was griping far too tightly which meant I was forcing the swing rather than having a smooth and rhythmic swing. The pro used the example of Freddy Couples. He showed me a photo from the 97 ryder cup (Both teams stayed at the San Roque Club during the comp!) of his swing just after impact and it shows just how loose his grip and forearms were!

Last edited:

RaCs

Club Champion
Visit site
Out of interest..... How much does a lesson cost in Gibraltar?

No courses in Gibraltar bud. Need to go over the boarder to Spain to play and get lessons! Prices vary depending on the Golf Club. The quality and reputation of the pro also makes a difference I guess

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Adjustments were as follows:

1. My stance was adjusted by slightly opening out my left foot which promoted and easier and fuller turn during the backswing. This also made me feel better balanced
2. Tweak to my shoulder alignment by squaring them up to target better. The pro spotted that they were slightly open at setup! Something which I have never realised as it was minimal! By making this change my swing felt easier. I felt more control and had smoother rhythm
3. Loosened my grip and relaxed my forearms. I was griping far too tightly which meant I was forcing the swing rather than having a smooth and rhythmic swing. The pro used the example of Freddy Couples. He showed me a photo from the 97 ryder cup (Both teams stayed at the San Roque Club during the comp!) of his swing just after impact and it shows just how loose his grip and forearms were!

sounds like you only had to make some minor changes which is nice.

here is an interesting video of fred. I'm not saying you should try this. interesting all the same ;)

[video=youtube;88_9jWWvmoM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88_9jWWvmoM[/video]

RaCs

Club Champion
Visit site
sounds like you only had to make some minor changes which is nice.

here is an interesting video of fred. I'm not saying you should try this. interesting all the same ;)

[video=youtube;88_9jWWvmoM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88_9jWWvmoM[/video]

Yes!!! The photo showed exactly what the video was focusing on! Incredible!