My driver history.......or a story of impulsive buying.

John Boy Saint

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Blimey there are some lists there! I must be just a tight whatsit or too much of a novice.

My Missus got the hump when I started playing, even more so when I accidentally won some secondhand clubs on eBay.
I needed a driver and found a little shop down in Exemouth with a selection of secondhand gear. Ended up buying a Slazenger for £25 it worked a treat for me, and knew it must be ok as my mate who lushes every ball he hits was out driving his own Super expensive driver to the point of reluctantly giving my 'bargain' back.

Having long mastered Driving I thought I would treat myself to a new one. Went to AG in Plymouth and tried everything they had on offer. I think a little to the fitters dismay the winner was a Wilson Shockwave. Not only a bargain in the Sale but was sending balls much further and straighter than anything else put in my hands.

So there you go a lot of old waffle and just 2 drivers in my golfing history...................... Reading the gear reviews though, you can see the temptation for some: it's like Women and shoes.

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
Crikey you lot realy do have it bad. I've been playing since about 1992 and i've had 3 drivers. The first I got late 90's was a Titleist 975D ( I used the 3w before that). I didnt use it much as I liked my 3w better. Still had it in the garage til last year when I chucked it in the skip.

When I came back to golf I bought a Mizuno mp600 and hated it , it felt dead off the head. Mostly used my 3w off the tee again. The stock shaft was awful by all accounts.

Then I got picked for the Ping day at Walton Heath a couple of years ago and got fitted for a Ping i15. It was a revelation to me. I could actually hit a driver and it stayed in the bag for once. I loved it and it did wonders for my game being able to knock it out there in relative safety.

For someone who hardly ever hit a driver I got to low single figures. It was something I was proud of but I knew i was missing out. Anyway there you go i've hardly spent a penny on drivers over the years (only bought 2 in 20 years).

D

Deleted member 1147

Drivers, I've known a few:

Howson something with a black & red shaft
John Letters Persimmon head
Howson Hippo
Callaway Great Big Bertha (X shaft & 7.5*)
Nike Ignite (reg shaft, 9.5*)
Callaway FT-5 (stiff, 9*)
TM R11 - current driver

The John Letters had the whippiest steel shaft I hve ever seen.
The TM is the best I've ever had. Just that the swing can often be terrible when using it.

Davey S2

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not too many for me.

First ones used were persimmon woods from mu Mum's set of Petron Impalas.

My first was the Slazenger XTC (matching set of driver, 3 and 5 woods).

There must have been a couple of others after this but Icant remember them

Then had a 10.5 Big Bertha Steelhead

Current is a Cobra LD but I plan on being fitted for a new one in the next few months.

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
2002-2009
Callaway ERCII ( had 2 of those!)
Callaway 460ti

2009-2012

Ping G10
Ping i15
Nike STR8fit
Nike VR
Mizuno MP630
Callaway Diablo
TM R11S

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
2002-2009
Callaway ERCII ( had 2 of those!)
Callaway 460ti

in the last week i've had;

Ping G10
Ping i15
Nike STR8fit
Nike VR
Mizuno MP630
Callaway Diablo
TM R11S

Rick i've fixed that for you;)

I've had 4 drivers in the 6 years i've been playing
Dunlop that came with my £99 starter set
TM r7 425
Mizuno mp600
Mizuno mp 630

like my driver and still have all but the TM which broke.

daveyc2k2

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My drivers have been as follows:

Petron that came with £100 full starter set
Wilson Staff DD6
Cleveland Launcher 09
Nike SQ Machspeed Str8 Fit
Ping G20
Borrowed TM Burnersuperfast 2.0
TM R11S

Not too bad, although the last 4 have been in the last year or 2.