My driver history.......or a story of impulsive buying.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

When I started playing golf, I had a succession of persimmon headed Wilson drivers, followed by some real junk (Regal, Hippo, etc), and then my first proper driver, a Callaway H2S2, steel shafted, which was the immediate fore runner to the original big bertha. This was a surprise present form my Dad, totally out of the blue. I think I still own this driver some where. Last time I gave it a swish it made a good 5 wood, both in terms of head size, and distance hit.

I used the Cally for quite a few years, and then bought a Mizuno T3 titanium driver. No idea what the shaft was, but I also bought the matching 3 and 5w. I still have these in my wardrobe, and the driver might be in the loft, but I'm not going up there to find out.

The T3 was fine, until Taylor made launched the 300 series. They came in 3 sizes, 300cc, 320cc, and 360cc, which was massive (at the time). Once I'd hit one of these beauties, I had to have one. This driver was like nothing else that was around at the time. It went for miles. I tried it out at Windlesham, with a Grafalloy prolite 35S. I loved this shaft. It was the first time I'd ever hit a stiff shaft, and it was a beast. I took it back to my club, and on 17 there is a ditch a good drive will roll into. I carried it. Awesome.

I missed out the R300 completely, but then the R7 quad was launched. I fell for the technology hook line and sinker. Without even hitting one, I bought a US spec one off the internet. It had a Fujikura shaft in stiff. After about 6 months I worked out I couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo with it, so I had the shaft pulled, and had an Aldila NV65S put in it. I hadn't previously hit one of these either, but I loved the green colour. (I've always been a bit of a tart when it comes to colours). This was a vast improvement on the original stock shaft, but then it really couldn't have been any worse.

It was after the R7 that I bought my first Titleist driver. I was in Florida when they launched the 907 range, and suddenly there was a 907D2 with an Aldila prototype by you shaft in my bag. On holiday this was a beast, but then I came home, and the magic was left in Florida. I persevered with this for a while, and then had the shaft pulled in favour of a UST Harmon tour design. This was better, but it still didn't feel right. I guess the head was too light, and no matter how much I messed about with lead tape, I could never get it right.

Two years later, back in Florida, and the 909 was released. I borrowed (see, I have learned something) a 909 with an Aldila voodoo for two weeks of bliss. This thing was a beauty. Perfect weight, easy to hit, went miles, loved it. I really should have bought it then and there, but I quite fancied a custom fit, to make sure I got it right. So I went to Titleist, where I found that the Voodoo was so wrong for me, according to the stats. (Odd how good it was on the course though). So I ended up with an 8.5 degree D2, with a Matrix Ozik Xcon6 stiff shaft. This had great stats, but was the most unforgiving pile of junk out on the golf course. It cost me £270, and 3 months later I sold it for £60. The biggest hit I have ever taken on a golf club.

I replaced it with a Nike Dymo STR8fit. UST Axiv core black stiff. I bought this off the internet, brand new for £100. The bright yellow shaft suited my inner tart, and I was inspired to hit this really well, for about a year, and then the head fell off.

While this was sent back to Nike under warranty, I borrowed a Nike VR STR8fit with a stiff Voodoo off a friend. He had only had it a week, and sold it to me for £100. In the mean time, I got a new Dymo as a warranty replacement, and sold it for pretty much the same £100 I had paid for it. I then sold the VR as well, as I had seen a Titleist 910, and knew I had to have one.

Not being blessed with huge patience, I tried out two. A D2 with stiff Ka'ili, and a D3 with a stiff RIP60. The D2 went miles in the air, with about a million rpm back spin, and the D3 with RIP went ok, so I bought it. The inner tart liked the skull and cross bones too, so we were both happy.

For about 6 months.

Then nagging doubts started up. Was it too light? Too stiff? Too matt black? May be I needed some colour? So I bought a Fujikura Motore F1 75S shaft for it. This also matched my fairway wood and hybrid, so it kind of made sense. It went ok, but no better than the RIP really, but it was red, which was pretty cool.
I also borrowed (and then bought) a Diamana Ahina. This took a while to get used to, but it is as good as any thing else I have tried. This has been my driver for pretty much a year now, and it is the best driver I have ever owned, by miles.

So why have I just bought a Grafalloy Pro launch red shaft for it?

I have not hit it yet, but I am off to the practice ground tonight with high hopes that this could be the one.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Wow, takes some remembering all of that too :)

Think Im very different with the driver, I tend to blame my swing rather than the club, had a Callaway for years, upgraded to the 910 which I still use (on occasions), now if we were talking putters however.............

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've gone back to using the old 907 d2 with the vs proto shaft, it's not the longest but it's definately the most consistent driver I've owned, despite it never being that highly rated.
I've also got a 910 d2 and a Ping g20 sat in the garage, theyre both longer but nowhere near as consistent as the 907 for me.

It's scary the amount of money we can waste on this game. I've promised myself that everything that's now in the bag is staying there for at least another 2 years. I saw the new MP64s in the flesh today though......tempting....very tempting!

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
not as many as Murph but I've had a few !!most of them bought on a whim without any of this custom fitting nonsense :D

the first driver I can remember buying was the first incarnation of the Nike Sasquatch, I liked it it went OK, but was seduced by the newer round Sumo with a grafalloy prolaunch red shaft, when that came out. This lasted for about 2 years in my bag until I sold it on a whim. This was a mistake because in the next 12months I bought and sold; a Callaway FTI, Mizuno mx700, Callaway Diablo draw, R9, I also played with just a 3 wood in this period. I then replaced it with a...... Nike Sumo 5000 with the same grafalloy shaft.

I played with this for about another 6 months, and tried a Callaway Razr Tour and a Ping i15 during this period. I kept coming back to the Nike. the feel off the face was rubbish, but the performance was OK

My current driver is a Ping g20, it goes perfectly well most of the time, but I'm looking at a Titleist 910 d2/d3 or a Razr fit. I'm not sure why !!!:eek:

ebay is not my friend :(

maybe that is more than Murph :eek:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
You and I must have been contaminated with the same bug. I'm on my 4th driver in 2 years, and in truth I could easily go out and buy another. For me its a case of chasing length and consistency... or so I think. But at 54 with a dodgy back and hip its more likely I'm at fault rather than the driver............................. anyway, bonus due next month - new driver time.

Edit; I'd forgotten the Callaway FT-9 driver. Make that 5 in 2 yrs, with another to follow shortly.

Last edited:

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I feel your pain! I've been through ton of Drivers too, firstly a Hippo 460CC offering which was ok for starting out,Ithen progressed to a Srixon XXIO which was a lovely bit of kit until it was made illegal! I then switched to a NIke SQ460 with a NV65 shaft in reg which was the business.
Then I did something stupid, I picked up a magazine nd started reading reviews and fell hook line and sinker for it,so far as I can remember I have had the following.
Taylormade R7,R9,Superfast,Superfast TP
Mizuno MX700, MP630
Cleveland HIbore,TL310, DST
Callaway FT9 and Diablo octane black
Alpha V5
Geek DCT X 3 (i like them) and a FS3
Titleit 905,907D2.907D1
Ping G10,G15,I15

And I've probably missed a few!
I finally bit the bullet and went and had a proper fitting at Celtic Manor and came away with a Titleist 910 D2 and wish I had done it years ago!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
That initial story is like an average bloke who fell in love up with a posh girl, then moved on to a slapper, back to another posh girl, etc etc, in a series of short flings, some ending in a major row, others just petering out, before eventually finding a nice sensible ordinary girl to settle down with. But is his wandering eye really gone?

Some good clubs though: TM 300 series and R7, Titleist 909 and 910

Some complete duffers: Titleist 907 (not their greatest moment), Nike (anything).

One I heard of but never saw anyone using: Mizuno T3.

By the way it is the Callaway S2H2. I bet you don't get the name of your first girlfriend wrong!

S

Snelly

Interesting post Murph!

Since I joined a club in about 1980, I have had loads of drivers too. The ones that stick out as special are as follows:

1. Original Taylor Made Burner. First proper metal wood. It was superb!
2. A Ryder persimmon Driver with a titanium shaft - awesome. I borrowed it for a season when i was about 14 and it was the first club that I ever cleared the back fence with at Bradway Driving Range in Sheffield!
3. The first back and red Ping Eye wood I got.
4. A custom made (by our pro) carbon shafted driver with a laminated head. Cracking club.
5. A Mizuno pro Oil Finished PersimmonTour Driver that I bought off Mark Roe and he had got from the Mizuno Tour van. I still have it and it goes a long way.
6. Finally, the best driver I have ever had - a Bobby Locke one and three quarter lofted driver that had a persimmon head and some sort of man made polymer insert in the face. The shaft was slightly shortened and I remember being able to swing as hard as I could and still get a straight ball. It was absolutely fantastic and I remember being genuinely heartbroken when the head cracked down the middle one day. I had it in the mid-80's but it was way older than that. Probably 60's at the latest. I once drove the 2nd green at Hallowes GC in Dronfield with it and it was a rare occurence back then!

The modern drivers seem a bit souless compared to these. Easier to hit and generally longer and straighter. Of the modern drivers I have tried, I find the Pings to be the best balance of forgiveness and length but in saying that, I have never tried a Taylor Made, Titleist, Mizuno or Nike driver during the last 10 years maybe. I have only had Callaway or Ping and of those, the standout clubs are the Callaway War Bird and the Ping Rapture.

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Possibly the best driver I had was a Callaway FT3 it was straight easy to hit and long. Once I started swapping and changing I started having "issues" and I wonder how many can relate to that.

I bought a Cobra LD M Speed it was ok but not quite to my liking this was replaced with a Nike VR STR8 fit Pro in 11.5 degrees and it was superb until I had a lesson and then started hitting it sky high, (the absolute opposite of when I started and couldn't hit a driver more than 1ft off the ground).

The 11.5 degree was replaced by a 9.5 degree which helped but didn't resolve the problem. The 9.5 was also more difficult to keep straight.

Next buy was a Diablo Edge Tour which was ok but not as good as the Nikes and then in a moment of insanity I bought an ex demo TM Superfast TP which on the range was so good I had to buy it. On the course it was a disaster so after all this I decided I needed a fitting.

Enter the biggest mistake of my golfing life. £300 was spent on a all singing dancing Razr Fit 10.5 degree. I thought I needed 9.5 but the pro told me that 10.5 was the way to go.

At first it was ok but then it started going higher and higher. I found some adaptors on ebay and ordered an original pro launch blue which was a beast of a shaft but a little too stiff. Then I ordered a YSQ ST Tour. A beautiful shaft that did bring the trajectory down but not enough to tell me I had the right combination.

Then I got an email from on-line golf with the 2012 Nike VR with a project X shaft on special at £129, (my previous drivers had the voodoo shafts). After reading a few reviews on the driver and shaft combo I decided to split the difference between my previous 11.5 and the 9.5 Nikes, decideding to put the Callaway up on Fleabay and buy the 10.5.

First try on the course, perfect trajectory, perfect distance and a very happy owner. Although I lost money on the Razr I made a profit of the shafts and got money back against the £129 purchase price of the Nike so despite the disappointment it didn't turn out too bad.

Quirez has it dead right, forget the stats, hit it, watch it and put it away or buy it. There are that many good driver and shaft combo's that despite what many say, you don't need a fitting to get a good driver to suit your swing. Pick one that works and spend the extra on a lesson to get the best out of it.

By the way I've just bought a Callaway Razr Hawk 13 degree 3 wood for £79.99 at less than half price for when my driver is having an off day

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Just frightened myself by counting up my driver history.
It all began with the Slazenger Challenge 1 1/2 wood that came with my first half set, followed by the Howson DJ100 that came with my first full set.
Both we worse than they sound...!
After that I moved onto the best driver I've ever owned/used - the Callaway Great Big Bertha. Simply a wonderful club.
When that wore out , the search began for a replacement....
The following were tried and discarded, some lasting longer than others (and in no particular order)
Cally Big Bertha 454
Cally Diablo Edge
Cally FT3
Cally Diablo Octane Black Tour x 2
Ping G10/15/20
Ping Rapture/V2 Rapture
Cally FTi
Cally FTiq
Cleveland Launcher x3
TM R9
Titleist 909
Titleist 910.

Scary..............

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've had a few over the years, and I really can't remember them all, but the highlights include:

MacGregor Muirfield persimmon driver. No idea what loft, steel shaft, not easy to get the crappy balls of the day elevated, but a beautiful piece of timber.

Callaway Big Bertha with a Sandvik Titanium shaft fitted. Very long. Sold it and regretted it almost immediately.

Taylor Made R510TP. 10.5 degrees, Fujikura 757 shaft. Not the easiest to hit, but encouraged and rewarded good striking.

Titleist 983K. Great driver, can't remember what shaft was in it.

Titleist 909D3 with Matrix Code 6 shaft. I still have this one and took it out for a few rounds recently and remembered why I liked it so much.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
My list of drivers is scary considering I have not been playing that long

Hippo starter set driver
Wilson Staff DD6 (had wilson irons and wanted them to match)
Some square headed clone of a Callaway FT-I as I could not afford the real thing
Hippo Hex (still trying to the square thing on a budget)
Taylormade Burner (shaft too long and could not control it)
Taylormade R7
Orka FK2 (loved it but thought I could get something that would go further)
Benross VeloCT (another good one)
MD Superstrong (lasted about a fortnight)
Callaway FT5
Whatever the Mizuno driver was before the JPX range
Callaway FT9
Cleveland Launcher
Benross Quad RIP
Mizuno JPX800

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

IM01

Challenge Tour Pro
www.goswicklinksgc.co.uk
Not much of a gear monster....after the usual hand-me-downs to get the golfing bug this is all I've used in 25 years

Wilson 1200GE
Diawa Advisor
Callaway Warbird
Ping G2
Taylormade Burner
Callaway Razr X

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Had the same persimmon wood from mid 70's through to about five years ago. Lovely club which I could actually hit fairways with.

Since then have had a couple of Ping drivers G10 and G15, and my current Titleist 910 D3. All are probably great clubs, but I hate them and will be looking out for another persimmon wood to last me into my dotage.