My Daughters Swing

albie999

Visit site
Spotted a coaching video online the other day, which suggested trying to do a one handed swing, to get the feeling of not over swinging the club, and also to help with body turn. My Daughter (15), has not been playing that long, and only occasionally. Seeing as I have setup a SIM in the garage, thought I would try this technique with her, and wow .. what a difference in less than an hour of practising. She was initially getting frustrated when on the course, with bad shots, bad contact .. just overall, not great .... now she can see she is hitting the ball better, she now wants to practice more, and get on the course

Just wondered on peoples thoughts on this swing

New swing

Old swing

albie999

Visit site
get her to see a pro, get the fundamentals right to start with

She had seen a pro to start with, to get grip sorted etc, but now it is all about practising, and then an occasional trip to a pro when needed. Don't want it to feel like it is homework (not sure that is the right word for it), rather than just fun

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
She had seen a pro to start with, to get grip sorted etc, but now it is all about practising, and then an occasional trip to a pro when needed. Don't want it to feel like it is homework (not sure that is the right word for it), rather than just fun

sure, but you don't want her ingraining and practicing the wrong thing.

i'm no expert, but she looks a bit long in the backswing and very flat.

Bob would be able to give a better critique

YamiKuriboh

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Huge improvements between the two vids. You should be really proud!

I'm not an expert but she seems to have a similar thing to what a pro showed me when he saw my swing, in that she takes the club back a bit too much on the inside initially - you can see this at 0:01 where the tip of the club is off screen, I think if you looked at a pro's swing it would stay on camera. I'm working on trying to stop that myself. Golf sure is hard!

D

Deleted member 21258

Great to see the free flowing swing that the young persons do. She has a bit of DJ wrist going on there.

Hope she continues with it, it is great getting them out there and playing and great to see the improvement that happens normally quite easily.

Don't know enough about swings to comment, listen to bobmac, think he is a good source for information.;)

Grantley1988

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Another good drill to stop over swinging and getting handsey* is too swing with your feet together.
It’s my go to when I’m getting excited on the course and slapping it around ;)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Like father like daughter.
I don't know if you have taught her or she's just copied you but you have similar issues.
Starting with the set up.
Take a look at your address positions and compare with Rory below, do you see any difference?

Untitled.jpg

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Perfect.
Stand up a bit more, get the weight out of the heels, lower the hands and RELAX.
When you can do that, then you can work on the backswing

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
You can see a big difference between those two swings. Definite improvement.
Definitely advise getting some pro tuition for your girl.
My lad was taking lessons from the pro at Cleckheaton GC before we moved to Spain, and he will be going in the academy here at La Finca when it restarts after the summer.
His swings not bad for a 9 year old, just a shame his dopey dad didn't remember to tell him about the water hazard on this tee shot. 🤔

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
There's a lot more good in her swing than not. If that was my girl I'd consider that she can be a damn good golfer, really good. And I'd find the right pro to get her there.
A real lot of potential. Best of luck to her

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
You can see a big difference between those two swings. Definite improvement.
Definitely advise getting some pro tuition for your girl.
My lad was taking lessons from the pro at Cleckheaton GC before we moved to Spain, and he will be going in the academy here at La Finca when it restarts after the summer.
His swings not bad for a 9 year old, just a shame his dopey dad didn't remember to tell him about the water hazard on this tee shot. 🤔

Great swing and what a place to learn to play golf