Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
as many here know, I had a kidney removed in May
was back playing half shots inside 2 weeks still with my staples in

Man up the lot of you :) :) :) :)

Chokeahontas

Medal Winner
Visit site
Back when you were able to do 36 holes a day, I bet you were more active and stronger because you did more things outside of golf.

I'm 'only' 40, but, having always played a lot of sport at reasonable level, I imagine the wear and tear on my body is more than most of my age, and I definitely have noticed the decline in recovery time.

I combat this by continually tweaking my fitness and nutrition regimes - I work out a lot longer than I did 20, 10, even 5 years ago, not least because I need longer to warm up.

My father is 73 and goes to the gym with me and does senior yoga for flexibility. He has grumbles about his body, of course he does, but he has yet to ever reject or be concerned about going for a round or two.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I get a dull ache in my lower back, hips and knees, my feet hurt and I start to tighten up at around the 11th, 12th, 13th holes...

Isn't cramp sodium related, as in a lack of it ?...

The dull ache in my lower back is a first thing in the morning issue as well...

I do find cod-liver oil works to ease the joint pain but I've never been a great pill taker so I'm not very disciplined when it comes to taking such stuff...

I also find that a couple of 'Ibuprofen' just before a round halts the onset of any niggling pains as the round progresses...

By the way 'I'm 43' but I've had quite a hard life work wise, I used to ride motorcycles 24/7 through thick and thin and all that 'mother nature' could throw at me for over 25yrs which probably hasn't done my lower joints many favours...

It's the 12 day shifts that are the real killer these days though, by the time I've got a halfway through the second week I'm about done...

Seriously considering a change of career at the moment...

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm a martyr to aches and pains all over, but I don't really like to talk about it. :whistle:

In particular when I wake up, and after I've checked I'm still breathing, I move my arms and legs slowly and cautiously and only then raise myself up and out onto the floor with extreme care.:smirk:

gmhubble

Head Pro
Visit site
I am only 46 and I struggle to carry a bag a full round so treated my self to a motocaddy s3 pro and it's made a huge difference

The other thing I have noticed is the eye sight - can't wear my normal glasses as I tee off or play a **** as it makes me feel dizzy so am going to get some sporty bi-focals

Always have a stock of ice and heat pads from Boots indoors whenever they have a 342 offer and they work a treat

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm 70 & take daily Glucosamine, Chondritin, Green Lipped Mussel, Omega 3 & Vitamin D3 tablets. I can swing the club back beyond the horizontal (I try not to!) & although I'm stiff when I get up the morning after golf it goes off quite quickly. Can't remember (touch wood) when I last had a golf related injury. I'm not sure how much these supplements help but I'm scared to stop taking them.

I find that Naproxen works better than Ibuprofen.

Thing is Bill, unlike me, you have a nice easy flowing golf swing that doesn't put a lot of strain on your back. PS don't unlike me :rofl:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I could have posted the original thread.

Without Ibuprofen or diclofenac and a buggy I would have given up golf 20 years ago.

The only thing I an really advise on is the gout .

Never let yourself get dehydrated if you think you are thirsty it is too late (I drink about 1.5 litres during a round and I use a buggy). Find a good gout advice website and work out which foods you should not eat ie those very high in purines. Not everybody who gets it reacts the same eg I can drink red wine but not lager, I dare not go any where near spinach or asparagus.

If you have an old pair of golf shoes cut out the area above the big toe and cover with a soft tape ( an old bowlers trick), try sorbothane insoles.

Last edited:

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wish I'd taken the game up 30 years ago when I was as supple as a willow wand and nothing hurt when I moved it.

Had that been the case then who knows?

I cudda been a contender! :D

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Definitely feeling more aches and pains since hitting 50 and lugging several hernias around that are now starting to cause discomfort. Eyes have been shot for years as have my knees. Diabetic and the elbow I hurt in the heather at New Zealand still sore but compared to Fish I feel like a spring chicken

sandmagnet

Head Pro
Visit site
46 played Chigwell today was ok then about 5 mins after I'd sat down and got up feet legs were like an 80yr old. Mines diet to many turkishes .....moral of story when it get to bad I shall buggy all the time and become a summer golfer.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not sure if it's just an age thing (I'm in denial) but I feel I am fighting every ache & pain there is to fight currently before any round of golf.

My current issues are:

Left arm:

I can swing OK but if I grab of hold or pick anything up then I get a shooting pain up my left forearm. Wearing the Therapeutic Pressure Band helps it but it's not getting any better! I take a couple of Ibuprofen before round also. I've broken this arm at least 3 times in the past, I'm wondering if it's just a weakness that's now developed although it feels more like tendons?

Right Shoulder:

Grimaced on every shot yesterday. On release it was very uncomfortable , feels like a strain but I've not done anything to strain it. Been like this for over 2 weeks now?!

Gout:

Working hard changing my diet and drinking habits (tough ask) as the pain I get from the stinging gout attacks in the knuckle of my right big toe are excruciating! I'm starting to notice that I am limping from about our 16th fairway back in, not so much attacks, more a case of sensitivity, the right foot starts to feel very tender.

Vision:

I succumbed to reading glasses a few years back, now I wear them all the time early morning catching up on here and with work, so I'm on the phone or computer for a good few hours (too many HID says) every day. Now in the morning after reading early doors and then driving to the club (5 minutes), I find my vision is very blurred at distance and it takes anything from 30 minutes to a couple of hours for the full focus to return. I can see the ball OK on the 1st tee but it's not a clear vision down the fairway until a good few holes have been played then it's perfect short & long.

Lower back pain:

Whether I'm driving or sitting down for a length of time getting back up or out of the car/van becomes a bit of an effort, I'm just locking up quite quickly and need to roll and stretch my back when getting back upright. I can also find this same locking up effect when simply walking the dog, the lower back starts to tighten up and I have to stop and roll my body to ease the discomfort.

Cramp:

Getting cramp in my calves at night in bed, the pain and initial attack is horrendous. I have loads of water/squash for hours during the day and night so it's not dehydration. My calves feel quite hard all the time now for some reason, so the slightest thing and the cramp kicks in?

Premature....(we'll give this one a miss) :smirk:

Anyone else noticing massive changes to their body or did when reaching a particular age, this isn't or hasn't been something that's crept in over a few years or months, I feel this has just hit me all at once?

I see 70, 80 year old plus seniors out on the course so I feel my problems are or shouldn't be anything to concern myself with or complain about, but I was extremely fit when in the forces and afterwards for many years when I left, I know fitness is the hardest thing to gain and easiest to lose, but I feel broken and it can't be a lack of exercise? :(
leave out the gout and cramp (for now) u just described me to a tee Sir

D

Deleted member 21258

I am a lot fitter now than compared to when I was in my 20s and 30s(late forties now) but I can not believe how much I ache and things break down and how long things take to mend, when compared to even 5-7 years ago.

Sadly its only the lucky ones that reach 70s and can still play everyday, lost many a client or family member before 70s, life is just to short.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm 30 and my knees click but I'm in amazing nick compared to you lot! Reading this has made me feel great, I think I'll skip home.