My best shot ever

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
It happened today on our second hole. It's a short par four (240 yards-ish) but I pulled my seven-iron tee shot left into trees and when I got to the ball I found myself about 110 back from the green. My first thought was to knock it out sideways and hope for a pitch close enough to let me escape with a putt for par. But then...

I had a seven iron in my hand ready to knock it out only for some reason I looked in a direct line towards the green. I spotted a small gap in the canopy of the trees and decided that it was in perfect alignment and elevation for a nine iron. I cautioned my PP to be wary of a ricochet and possible broken teeth and addressed the ball which was sitting perfectly. I kid you not, I was thinking "give it a bit of Seve at Crans Montana", when I trusted to luck and gave it a slosh.

It missed the branches, flew straight through the intended gap, landed on the two-teir green, didn't quite get to the upper tier and rolled back down towards the hole ending up 3 inches from the cup. It was better than any hole-in-one, well I think it was, although never having had one I can't be entirely sure.

Got me thinking about the power of visualisation of a shot. I had that feeling that I was going to pull it off and I did, whereas normally I would have thought not a chance in hell, played it nevertheless only for it to hit at least five trees.

Anyway, that's mine. So what's yours?

Last edited:

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
It happened today on our second hole. It's a short par four (240 yards-ish) but I pulled my seven-iron tee shot left into trees and when I got to the ball I found myself about 110 back from the green. My first thought was to knock it out sideways and hope for a pitch close enough to let me escape with a putt for par. But then...

I had a seven iron in my hand ready to knock it out only for some reason I looked in a direct line towards the green. I spotted a small gap in the canopy of the trees and decided that it was in perfect alignment and elevation for a nine iron. I cautioned my PP to be wary of a ricochet and possible broken teeth and addressed the ball which was sitting perfectly. I kid you not, I was thinking "give it a bit of Seve at Crans Montana", when I trusted to luck and gave it a slosh.

It missed the branches, flew straight through the intended gap, landed on the two-teir green, didn't quite get to the upper tier and rolled back down towards the hole ending up 3 inches from the cup. It was better than any hole-in-one, well I think it was, although never having had one I can't be entirely sure.

Got me thinking about the power of visualisation of a shot. I had that feeling that I was going to pull it off and I did, whereas normally I would have thought not a chance in hell, played it nevertheless only for it to hit at least five trees.

Anyway, that's mine. So what's yours?

I tried the same thing on the 10th at Paisley years ago. Blocked the driver into trees, found said ball and spotted a gap that was just about "do-able". Pulled out a 5 iron and absolutely flushed the shot. Did my ball not clip the last branch it could and ricochet back into the trees, it was like pinball Wizard and sadly the ball was never seen again. Probably killed a few squirrels!

From that day onwards I usually just take my medicine!

Congratulations on executing yours though.

😂😁

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
A 6 iron from about 130yds. Way too much club for the distance but... I'd hooked my drive off the tee and was blocked out from the green by a small copse, only about 10yds in front of me. Going left would mean putting the ball into number 23's back garden. I could have chipped out, leaving me about 80 yds in. The other option was to hit a vicious, low running hook. It was off the ground no higher than 3-4 feet, and only travelled 70yds in the air at most but finished about 6 inches from the hole.

I've hit the shot a few times since, which also says some poor things about my tee shots. Never put it as close but I have hit the green a few times too. Most recently it meant aiming OOB. It didn't need to hook as much and, again, it finished on the green.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
110 yards out, pouring rain in June, east Sussex national course , topped a hybrid to get to that point

Had a 7 iron with me, we were in carts and they were locked to paths due to the rain

Just half a swing thought it's down hill get it close as I can

Chip in birdie

The rest of the round was a complete wash out, real struggle (was that awful rain in June) but we stayed out. Many groups walked off

Wanted to stay out just because of that shot lol

Colonel Bogey

Visit site
In a scramble a few years ago I was left as the only one with a drive left, not coz I was rubbish I hasten to add. We were going very well. Going down the 18th I pulled it left and we ended up half way down the middle of 10th fairway with huge tall trees blocking out the shot. As we walked up to the ball I said to the lads, "I can see a small gap", to much laughter. I took out my 5 iron and hit the sweetest shot that soared between the tops of the trees and landed softly on the 18th green about 1 meter from the flag. The group on the 17th stood and applauded my shot. It's still talked about now !! I kid you not.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
One shot I remember is when I was around 30 yards behind very tall trees with around 80 yards to the green.

As it was a bounce game I decided to go for the high tariff shot over the trees.

So I opened the face of my p/w and played the ball forward in my stance , hit the shot perfect sailed over the trees and landed 4 foot from cup for a birdie putt.

Very pleasing shot

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
My most memorable was holing out from the 150 marker, lovely 8 iron, little fade and saw it roll into the cup.
Shame I had to chip out sideways as my drive was so bad and it was only for birdie! 😂 (never had an eagle)

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Best shot. I'd say earlier this season, was in a matchplay singles competition. I was 1 down going down 16. In decent position in the fairway.

Guy I was playing was miles left and blocked out. He played a miraculous recovery over some high trees to the front of the green. Green on a raised plateau with slopes on all sides. I unfortunately didn't hit a great shot, but was stroking at this hole.

I was at the bottom of the slope and could barely see the flag at the back of the green. I nipped a little 54 perfectly and it must have taken one bounce and stopped, pin high, 4 feet away. I've played better and more dramatic shots, but under that pressure - it was a perfect shot that a player of any level I'm sure would have been delighted with.

He then holed and absolute monster from the front of the green... must have been been 30 feet. Probably most ridiculous birdie I've ever seen. Leaving me with a tricky 4 footer to stay 1 down. Which I made.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Playing the 575 Par 5 10th at Willow Valley. There's a lake across the fairway about 280 yards in. Trees up both sides of the fairway.
I pulled my tee shot into the trees on the left, meaning I had no chance of clearing the water with my 2nd shot. Chopped a 5 iron out from under the branches with a little draw on to get myself about 20 yards short of the water. Hit a 5 wood, caught it nice but as I looked up, it was turning left and I found myself about 20 ft into the trees again. Got to the ball, and I had a line out onto the fairway, but decided to take on the impossible of getting the ball 130 ish yards to the green. Said to my brother "this will need some swerve on it", set up to play a low draw and went for it.
The ball just missed the last overhanging branch as it climbed upwards and left out of my sight. Got to the green, I was about 12 ft from the hole, knocked the putt in for par.
I can count on one hand the amount of times I've made par on that hole, I've made double figures more - it's a bastard if you get into trouble.
The last shot to the green was stupendous. I'd no right to be getting anything close to a par, and could just as easily have ended back on the trees on the other side of the fairway and struggling to make a double bogey.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think my best shot ever might have been with the putter. Was playing at Grims Dyke in summer last year, there's a par 4 there which is downhill off the tee then back uphill to the green, I think it's the 7th. My second shot had put me just off the back of the green. It was two-tier green, and the pin was on the bottom tier down near the front edge. I'm rubbish at estimating the length of putts but it must have been a good 80 something feet between me and the hole, with the huge slope down between the two tiers to contend with, and a lot of right to left as well. I aimed well right and played it as if I wanted to stop it right on the top of the slope - my main concern was stopping it rolling off the front of the green! But I judged it perfectly, it got to the slope, stopped slightly then started to roll down, sweeping back to the left, and probably would have only gone about two feet past had it not hit the pin and dropped. :D

Since I've never had a hole in one or even holed anything from considerable distance, that's probably the shot that sticks in the mind the most.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Saturday. 20yds short and right of front edge of green and 20yds to the side. In light rough and slap bang 6ft behind a silverbirch - 18" trunk. Can't even see the flag as right behind tree - not much of green in sight either - and no way to get any elevation as under branches. Play low right of tree, might just catch back edge of green - more likely end up in near side greenside bunker or over the green; play low safe left of tree likely not catch front edge of green and if a little too long in front greenside bunker.

As round was unimportant thought I'd just do a little 7i 'dunt and run' under branches and keeping as close to the tree as possible - miss tree and maybe miss greenside bunker but catch edge of it and that might swing a rolling ball in towards the flag. Got line perfect (lucky but what I had intended) and just missed the tree; ball bounced perfectly and caught edge of bunker which did it's job perfectly and swung the ball round bunker and towards hole; perfect weight stopping pin-high 3ft from hole. Playing companions looked and wondered how on earth I'd 'miracled' it to there. I shrugged. Luck. And missed the putt for my par.

Ah well. That's golf. Yer best is so often followed by rubbish :)

Last edited:

njt1986

Visit site
I hit a Par 5 in 2 last year, bombed my tee shot down the left side of the fairway and caught a nice downslope, left my about 210-230 in, but needed to thread the ball between a thin part of the fairway that was tree lined before it opens up to the green.

Normally I would lay up short of that thinner section as it psychologically messes with me but I’d been playing terribly, think I had one Par and everything else was Bogey at best!

Anyway, it was sat up on a patch of grass beautifully so I thought “Sod it” and pulled out my 3W and absolutely went at it, the ball landed on the front of the green and rolled up the back, 2 putted for birdie and that 2nd shot was probably the best shot I’ve hit

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ooo do spill? I’m a member of Boldon, I’ve seen “one” hole in one... it was 3 off the tee haha.

:LOL:
The second of the two short par 3's back to back IIRC. 9 iron which felt great off the face but you couldn't really see the green from the tee but it was straight at the flag. Walked up to the green, no sign of my ball until my PP walked up to the hole and picked it out for me :eek:
Went and lost the ball in the cabbage on the right on the next hole :ROFLMAO:

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
:LOL:
The second of the two short par 3's back to back IIRC. 9 iron which felt great off the face but you couldn't really see the green from the tee but it was straight at the flag. Walked up to the green, no sign of my ball until my PP walked up to the hole and picked it out for me :eek:
Went and lost the ball in the cabbage on the right on the next hole :ROFLMAO:
Ah the 4th, very nice. The one I seen was on the 3rd.
Never had a hole in one, but a couple of eagles (2s) on the 5th. Par 4 230ish but all down hill so easy to make the green... trouble is both my 2s have come from the fairway and 70ish yards out. Go figure.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ah the 4th, very nice. The one I seen was on the 3rd.
Never had a hole in one, but a couple of eagles (2s) on the 5th. Par 4 230ish but all down hill so easy to make the green... trouble is both my 2s have come from the fairway and 70ish yards out. Go figure.

I've just checked your course layout, I got it wrong it was on the 12th, I then put my ball into the hazard on the dogleg 13th :cry:

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dog leg left then swung sharply to the right before running up a slope to where the windmill was turning. Once through the windmill it was straight down hill to the hole.

,.........no I didn't hole out in one .took me three

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I never saw the shot myself

6th hole Yeovil. Stuck in the trees on the right short of the dogleg on a dogleg leg hole left to right 160 to go needing to keep the ball below the hanging tree limb. I went for the big fade low 4 iron fade (around 90 degrees needed). Flew out of the trees, apparently took a couple of bounces, turning more and more right, on to green and down the hole for an eagle.