Must be a record- Unbelievable 16 shots

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What the heck has riding a bike got to do with playing golf? ?????
It gets you around faster.;)
We had exactly the same thing.
My mates son was a pro cyclist , started playing golf at 24 yrs old two years ago.
He’s off four now.
He is one of the strongest men I have ever met and six stone soaking wet.
He hits it miles but under control, and has the ability to do what you tell him straight away.
Pity his dads not like that!

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Well yes that’s what I thought but it doesn’t seem that straight forward for some reason. I have a feeling the old club hasn’t updated it or something. I’m not sure.

Your old club has to release you from their system. Usually what happens is that a request to release a player pops up on the old clubs handicapping system to which the handicap secretary responds by pressing the appropriate button.

If your old club is not playing any comps and there is no need to fire up the handicapping software then they might not have noticed the request. If operated properly and folks do their job, the system for transferring a players record works quite well. Dont forget...its not just your handicap that is transferring over....its is your playing history....the very data that the WHS will need to look at to calculate your new handicap index when it goes live.

I'd get your new handicap secretary to actually ring your old club rather than rely on emails which can easily be ignored.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Update guys.

Been in touch with the pro who advised he was a professional mountain biker in his 30’s so naturally sporting. He joined last year and when he submitted cards 24 was the correct handicap. He practiced during the winter and played most days although not in Competitions.

He was off during lockdown and practiced daily with the exceptional result.

The pro confirmed everything is legit which is good news and the motto is: Practice Practice Practice plus a bit of natural talent
Can we have the guys email address so all those who decided he was a cheating bandit without the whole story can write to him and apologise ?????
And now we can concentrate on the 3 handicapper who also shot an under par round and got off Scot free ?

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Your old club has to release you from their system. Usually what happens is that a request to release a player pops up on the old clubs handicapping system to which the handicap secretary responds by pressing the appropriate button.

If your old club is not playing any comps and there is no need to fire up the handicapping software then they might not have noticed the request. If operated properly and folks do their job, the system for transferring a players record works quite well. Dont forget...its not just your handicap that is transferring over....its is your playing history....the very data that the WHS will need to look at to calculate your new handicap index when it goes live.

I'd get your new handicap secretary to actually ring your old club rather than rely on emails which can easily be ignored.
Thanks Nick, all sorted now thankfully but as you said, it was a call from the new club that got it sorted.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
The "whole story" still doesn't add up.
You're not a genuine 24, then play on your own over winter - the next bit about practising over lockdown is nonsense because plenty of people hit balls into nets and that doesn't teach you how to score - and then shoot 82, 78.

He was never a 24 handicap when he put his cards in. There's so many skills needed to shoot 78, you do not develop them from being a 24 handicap a few months previous.
Never in a million years.
Back in the 1990s I was a 21 handicapper on the evening I teed it up in our annual three club comp around about this time of year - I was playing around three times a week and usually shot high 80s-low 90s on our par 68 course (SS65), I was very much a genuine 21 handicapper and had been a member of the club for around four years.

With a five wood, eight iron and putter went round in gross 78 (net 57) - probably around four shots lower that my best ever score even in a social round - got cut to 16.5 and next day shot a gross 81 with a full set of clubs. That was as low as I ever got. My example is a shorter course but I still shot a lot under handicap, If I'd been a new member I'd have been getting the same sort of comments as this guy.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Back in the 1990s I was a 21 handicapper on the evening I teed it up in our annual three club comp around about this time of year - I was playing around three times a week and usually shot high 80s-low 90s on our par 68 course (SS65), I was very much a genuine 21 handicapper and had been a member of the club for around four years.

With a five wood, eight iron and putter went round in gross 78 (net 57) - probably around four shots lower that my best ever score even in a social round - got cut to 16.5 and next day shot a gross 81 with a full set of clubs. That was as low as I ever got. My example is a shorter course but I still shot a lot under handicap, If I'd been a new member I'd have been getting the same sort of comments as this guy.

I'm fairly certain that, even in 1990s, you were not allowed to cut handicaps as a result of a competition with a limit on the number of clubs. However, it looks like that illegal cut was perversely correct.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The "whole story" still doesn't add up.
You're not a genuine 24, then play on your own over winter - the next bit about practising over lockdown is nonsense because plenty of people hit balls into nets and that doesn't teach you how to score - and then shoot 82, 78.

He was never a 24 handicap when he put his cards in. There's so many skills needed to shoot 78, you do not develop them from being a 24 handicap a few months previous.
Never in a million years.
Yes I agree
Nerves play a big part in scoring like that.
You don’t learn that in a net.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Yes I agree
Nerves play a big part in scoring like that.
You don’t learn that in a net.
It still doesn't tally in my mind. I had a net during lockdown and great for strike but no idea where the ball was heading. Add in what must have been a decent short game assuming he hasn't hit all greens in regulation which again can't be fully worked on in a net. Add in the nerves as you say knowing you're playing well and heading for a good score isn't easy to sub-consciously ignore

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
At the end of the day, does it matter that much? He has ‘corrected’ his handicap in 2 rounds so is now playing off what, most people believe, is his true handicap that matches his ability.
Much worse are the players who keep a high handicap to sweep up in big cash comps on a continual basis. This is an anomaly for what ever reason and is now sorted -surely?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
It still doesn't tally in my mind. I had a net during lockdown and great for strike but no idea where the ball was heading. Add in what must have been a decent short game assuming he hasn't hit all greens in regulation which again can't be fully worked on in a net. Add in the nerves as you say knowing you're playing well and heading for a good score isn't easy to sub-consciously ignore

Maybe to him its just a game, something fun to do, something to be enjoyed & nerves don't really play the part they do with you and I (maybe we're the weirdos who get nervous just because we string together a few pars)

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
At the end of the day, does it matter that much? He has ‘corrected’ his handicap in 2 rounds so is now playing off what, most people believe, is his true handicap that matches his ability.
Much worse are the players who keep a high handicap to sweep up in big cash comps on a continual basis. This is an anomaly for what ever reason and is now sorted -surely?

Pretty much agree with all of your comment this apart from the quotations around corrected. Appreciate being picky on wording, but he hasn't corrected his handicap, he's improved after taking up the game with what sounds like a lot of golf and practice over the winter to get a new handicap. I still find it very strange that we can get four pages of discussion on a random player improving and the secrets it must be hiding rather than just saying well done (hopefully he got that at the club rather than being treated as some sort of pariah), he's won a nett competition at his local club rather than anything bigger to be concerned about.