Must be a record- Unbelievable 16 shots

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Is there that much of a difference between a 24 h/cap player shooting 82 and a 3 h/cap shooting 65 ? Both appear to have played better than handicap by a similar ratio.

The new guy’s second score is a surprise but seeing as others in the same Cat were also ripping it up, the course conditions & set-up must have been a dam sight ‘friendlier’ than the round I played last weekend :sneaky:
No wind at the weekend, playing short because of the dry conditions

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am in just that perdition myself. I put in 3 cards in November to December, got a very high handicap and then just about won the next swindle of the yellows. Since then I played 3 more comps and shot -2 for no handicap adjustment, +2 for buffer, and a horrible round giving me +0.1 on the handicap. Swindles were similar. So on winter conditions with bad lies in the rough it was a fair reflection.
Since lockdown is over I shot a 93, a 100 and some few 10 over rounds on the 9 hole course being well under handicap every single time no issues. Once we can play qualifiers again I expect my handicap to drop down rapidly. I think I play like a 24~26 now, but I get a lot more shots than that.
I will look like a bandit the next comp is on.

Well done for improving, ignore the bandit tag (which people may not even say) and play the best you can. Enjoy it and handicap will sort itself now competitions are back. Often comps are divided into categories which in part is for this reason as higher handicaps will see more swings like this.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Can we just accept that it was a wrong handicap and the player has done well to shoot two low scores without him "pot hunting" (your weekly stableford must pay better), faking scores or being suspicious.

Perhaps he was new to golf and put in three cards in Jan/Feb when course conditions were tough and he wasn't used to scoring. Had a golf net put in his garden during lockdown or played a lot on opening so that when comps finally opened up he was a better player than before even if his original three cards had been an accurate reflection.

?? You should be on stage, even Ken Dodd couldn't have come up with a story like that
????

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Maybe :D, although it doesn't sound too far off 3offthetee's update.

Lad handed in three cards, handicap committee awarded handicap and he was disappointed. Either they made a big mistake or his cards were poorer scores than he normally got hence didn't think new handicap reflected ability, and now has clearly sharpened up. I'd be surprised if he handed in 3 +14 cards and handicap committee just gave him a high handicap of 24. Probably has played a bit in the past but if he's never had a handicap (assumption) then he can't just say put me off 8 without signed cards supporting it.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I can see something similar happening to me, but not 16 shots...Just moved clubs and the old club isn't releasing handicap to the new club - No response from emails so I'm just going to put 3 cards in and be done with it.

Handicap is officially 12.4 but the new greens are a steep learning curve for me at the moment, last 3 rounds were 86-84-86 with a few 3 putts - course is a par 70 SSS 71 but I feel that breaking 80 is definitely on the cards once I get used to the greens.

Wont be far off but I think it'll be higher than 12.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can we just accept that it was a wrong handicap and the player has done well to shoot two low scores without him "pot hunting" (your weekly stableford must pay better), faking scores or being suspicious.

Perhaps he was new to golf and put in three cards in Jan/Feb when course conditions were tough and he wasn't used to scoring. Had a golf net put in his garden during lockdown or played a lot on opening so that when comps finally opened up he was a better player than before even if his original three cards had been an accurate reflection.
I think you've probably hit the nail on the head there. No competitions from from March til June and the guy was probably hitting golf balls into his practise net every day for four months - or maybe even has access to a simulator. First two comps after lockdown and he's smashed them both thanks to four months worth of improved ball-striking, plus the fact that we were launched straight into easier summer conditions. Makes sense to me.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
First Medal last week and guy playing off 3 had a Gross 65 Nett 62 Par 71. Great result expect to win.

However new member had 82-24- 58 nett to romp home.
This week he had 78-11-67 to ONLY gain 3rd place in his category!

With an ESR he is now 8.2.

Lost 16 shots in a week- Something must have been wrong when he submitted his cards

Does look like the original handicap was wrong. At the same time. The 2nd cut seems excessive for a 4 under handicap round.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If the lad was disappointed/ unhappy at being given a initial h/c of 24 he could always have played on a lower h/c if he wanted to, but not knowing the type of person he is it’s hard to judge, he maybe didn’t even realize he could do that.

But what I do know is it’s very unlikely you can play off 24 then come down and play comfortably off 11, that just doesn’t happen.

How can a committee have allocated him a wrong h/c of 24 if he put 3 cards in?

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What's that mean in English? ?‍♂️?
I didn't think we floated across the Atlantic til November... ??
Not sure whether you are trying to be smart here. What you said was the course must have been easy or something flippant. The majority of courses will have been assessed and you not being aware how difficult or otherwise it was gave you the slope rating so that you could draw your own conclusion of the level compared to your own.

I did not say how difficult or otherwise it was unlike you

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If the lad was disappointed/ unhappy at being given a initial h/c of 24 he could always have played on a lower h/c if he wanted to, but not knowing the type of person he is it’s hard to judge, he maybe didn’t even realize he could do that.

But what I do know is it’s very unlikely you can play off 24 then come down and play comfortably off 11, that just doesn’t happen.

How can a committee have allocated him a wrong h/c of 24 if he put 3 cards in?

I really do not know whether he ha splayed elsewhere before, nor whether he had submitted 3 cards. Just know he was a new member

Grizzly

Visit site
Observation - for those who think there is something suspicious here - if the lad has gone to the effort of gimmicking a handicap, why waste the big reveal in one go on a monthly medal? I mean, its nice to win and everything, but its hardly a big deal - the account passed on sounds far more believable to me.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
You always seem sensible with your comments Rosecott so a little more information which I have found out since yesterday when the results were posted and this is only what I have been told:

The lad was a new member and was disappointed/ unhappy he had been allocated an initial handicap of 24, probably the Club’s fault. After the results last Saturday The Club deducted more shots possibly realising they had got it wrong initially to bring him to 11. He then had a 78-11=67 to bring him to 10 and The Club applied an ESR of 2 so he now has an exact of 8.2.

incidentally last week he had a 7 on the last so with a bogey he would have had a net 56- Perhaps he was feeling embarrassed!

That is the missing bit of information. After his first round playing off 24, the club must have realised that the 24 handicap allocated was seriously wrong- for whatever reason, and we don't know and it would be improper to make that public. They decided that they would exercise their obligation to monitor newly allocated handicaps and decided that 11 was the most appropriate. Then, as you say, he shot 78-11=67 which with his -13 from his first outing produced an ESR of 2 in addition to the normal cut for the 67. I was just looking for the complete story.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Will 3offthetee be able to see his next few scores.

It would be worth following to see how it plays out.

I've never met a genuine 24 handicap who's been able to stitch two scores like that together.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I will look like a bandit the next comp is on.
I just worked out the stableford scores for my fairly average round today and my 48 from the yellows would have won every competition since I joined in October. I need to get an adjustment.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Update guys.

Been in touch with the pro who advised he was a professional mountain biker in his 30’s so naturally sporting. He joined last year and when he submitted cards 24 was the correct handicap. He practiced during the winter and played most days although not in Competitions.

He was off during lockdown and practiced daily with the exceptional result.

The pro confirmed everything is legit which is good news and the motto is: Practice Practice Practice plus a bit of natural talent