Multiple clubs on 1 course

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi I gather this is more prevalent in either Ireland or Scotland than England and wondered what sort of things make this work or can lead to conflict.

Anybody have any knowledge or experience of this they'd care to share.

Thanks

D

Deleted member 15344

Windmill Hill Golf Course has two clubs - WHGC and Tattenhoe GC

Has caused financial issues at one point

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know this happens in Aberdeen, the kings links down the beach is a municipal course, there are 3 clubs affiliated to it I believe, all the clubs have to book there tee times through sport aberdeen or whatever it's called these days. Basically it's just a club and they play on a set course. Bon accord, Northern and Caledonian I think if memory serves me right.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think Theres 3 clubs that use North berwick West links. NBGC, Bass Rock GC and Tantallon GC . I'm sure I was told only the NBGC member can use the clubhouse.
maybe the with the smaller clubs it's like an artisan membership and they have work party's etc and limited access to the course for a reduced membership fee.

Last edited:

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
personally I have 12 on mine, I do know some people who have 14 though....

hope that helps

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Two clubs share the course at Wimbledon Common. Us (Wimbledon Common) and London Scottish. Our 8th is their first and our 1st is their 12th

At the weekends we have the tee from 8am to 9:36 and then it closes until 11:30 (I think) to allow them to come through (and vice versa over their side) then from that point on its all open and should we come up to their 1st we slot in and same at ours.

Generally works quite well, but if one club gets behind on payments it can get tricky. We have a joint greens meeting etc and share the running of the course.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Two clubs share the course at Wimbledon Common. Us (Wimbledon Common) and London Scottish. Our 8th is their first and our 1st is their 12th

At the weekends we have the tee from 8am to 9:36 and then it closes until 11:30 (I think) to allow them to come through (and vice versa over their side) then from that point on its all open and should we come up to their 1st we slot in and same at ours.

Generally works quite well, but if one club gets behind on payments it can get tricky. We have a joint greens meeting etc and share the running of the course.

Those were the days. Worked well until the booked tee times from the 1st on either side began running late. The tee would officially be open without all the booked times having gone through and groups already queueing to go out reticent to let them jump ahead.

There is another example. Downshire and Easthampstead GC share the Downshire course in Wokingham. As far as I know one has a comp one week and the other the next and so on. As it's a muni, tee times are booked, I guess as a block and members then book a slot within that group booking

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think Theres 3 clubs that use North berwick West links. NBGC, Bass Rock GC and Tantallon GC . I'm sure I was told only the NBGC member can use the clubhouse.
maybe the with the smaller clubs it's like an artisan membership and they have work party's etc and limited access to the course for a reduced membership fee.

Yes there are three clubs, North Berwick GC and Tantallon both have clubhouses ( NBGC by the 18th green and Tantallon, across the road behind it.) Bass Rock is smaller has no clubhouse and can only have a tiny number of members who are not also members at one of the other two clubs - is exists mainly for competitions I think. There used to be a separate NB Ladies Club, but that has now merged with the Gents at NBGC.

I'd imagine issues between clubs are usually about quantity of block booked tee times or money.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi thanks for the replies so far. I was wondering how potential thorny issues such as tee times (both allocation and issues of running on time), catering and use of club facilities got sorted and what solutions tended to work well.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
I think Monifieth has 4, all with separate clubhouses iirc.

Monifieth does indeed have four clubs - used to be five - My club Grange was founded by the amalgamation of two of the previous five golf clubs at Monifieth; Grange & Dundee and Abertay.

The other clubs are Broughty, Monifieth and Panmure Ladies and all four clubs have their own clubhouse - there are regular rumours of mergers to reduce the number of clubs further.

The four clubs share two courses the Medal and the Ashludie and it doesn't appear to cause major problems - the courses are owned and run by the Monifieth Links Trust and there is a Links Committee with representatives of the clubs on it.

It's a common situation in Scotland to have several clubs sharing a course or courses

The clubs take it in turn to host visitors to the links - the 'host club of the day' fly a flag showing that it's their turn.

The Links allocate tee times and they use BRS for non comp times - it works well - certain times are allocated to certain clubs for comps - for example I'm playing in a mixed comp on the medal this Friday evening - our club has that slot - it's sorted out before the start of the season for comps

Last edited:

LinksTurf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Carnoustie (just up the road from Monifieth) has 3 courses, all public and all run by a Links Management Committee, which recently became a Limited Company and is currently seeking charitable status.The management committee has representatives from the local council as well as the 5 (yes five!) local clubs. On most days, a ballot operates and determines teetimes, though this is mostly only important for particularly popular teetimes. It is unusual if you are flexible on teetime to not be able to play at all. It all seems to work very smoothly.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Monifieth does indeed have four clubs - used to be five - My club Grange was founded by the amalgamation of two of the previous five golf clubs at Monifieth; Grange & Dundee and Abertay.

The other clubs are Broughty, Monifieth and Panmure Ladies and all four clubs have their own clubhouse - there are regular rumours of mergers to reduce the number of clubs further.

The four clubs share two courses the Medal and the Ashludie and it doesn't appear to cause major problems - the courses are owned and run by the Monifieth Links Trust and there is a Links Committee with representatives of the clubs on it.

It's a common situation in Scotland to have several clubs sharing a course or courses

The clubs take it in turn to host visitors to the links - the 'host club of the day' fly a flag showing that it's their turn.

The Links allocate tee times and they use BRS for non comp times - it works well - certain times are allocated to certain clubs for comps - for example I'm playing in a mixed comp on the medal this Friday evening - our club has that slot - it's sorted out before the start of the season for comps

Do the clubs have the same fees? Does one club pay more for 'prime' tee times?

Do the clubs have the same block or does it rotate around them?