General play score - Howdididoapp

JGolfer

Visit site
I am hoping someone might have the answer for this since I have asked both clubs and both don’t know why it won’t work.

My home club is in England, my second club is in Scotland, has anybody had any success pre registering a row on HowdidIdo app?

My handicap is on the app, aswell as my CDH number & both clubs are linked correctly, but whenever I play the course in Scotland it says “Failed as I need a valid CDH id number”

Also no course in Scotland that we have played can find my handicap on the system when checking my CDH, which is an issue when me and my partner enter open comps in Scotland (but it shows on England golf, and my home club can find me)

Anybody experienced this or have any suggestions? Both clubs I am at have no idea why it happens as my CDH is on the app etc.

Thanks

wjemather

Visit site
Would I then have to get a Scotland CDH as well as my England CDH?
While it would fix one problem, it would create a multitude of others. Players may only have one WHS handicap index. As such, with English and Scottish handicaps, you would need to ensure every score was entered correctly on both systems, adjusting for whatever PCC there was, so that they were always in sync giving you the same handicap index.

I'd say it would be better to wait until the English and Scottish systems are able to communicate with each other, which we are told should be soon.

wjemather

Visit site
I thought this new world handycap system Was to make it easier if you played in other countries,
Easier to compete equitably, because all handicap indexes are a result of the same calculations.

With so many jurisdictions each choosing their own software suppliers, getting the dozens of different systems communicating takes time.

Last edited:

JGolfer

Visit site
While it would fix one problem, it would create a multitude of others. Players may only have one WHS handicap index. As such, with English and Scottish handicaps, you would need to ensure every score was entered correctly on both systems, adjusting for whatever PCC there was, so that they were always in sync giving you the same handicap index.

I'd say it would be better to wait until the English and Scottish systems are able to communicate with each other, which we are told should be soon.

So I spoke to the club in Scotland and they actually cannot find my CDH anymore, the app shows my CDH number, however when they now search me, it says the CDH entered doesn’t exist, however my playing partner has no issues being found(also a English CDH) have called a club we entered an open with if they could find my CDH and they said no (in Scotland) but then called a club in England we have entered a comp in and they could find it.

Very strange, both clubs are chasing it up for me. It’s the fact they both use the same systems that is even more strange.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Very strange, both clubs are chasing it up for me. It’s the fact they both use the same systems that is even more strange.
They both (English and Scottish) link to the same central WHS computer system but have individual "front end" systems at the club/user interface.

wjemather

Visit site
They both (English and Scottish) link to the same central WHS computer system but have individual "front end" systems at the club/user interface.
I'm not aware of the existence of a central WHS database. Each jurisdiction have their own, having opted for their choice of supplier - EG use dotgolf, SG use OCS. To my knowledge, all the databases are completely separate, which is why many of the cross-border functions are lacking at present; although there is some functionality in England/Wales/Ireland as they use the same supplier.

English clubs use whatever ISV they choose; Scottish clubs generally use the SG provided OCS system, but may purchase and use a different ISV system.

JGolfer

Visit site
I'm not aware of the existence of a central WHS database. Each jurisdiction have their own, having opted for their choice of supplier - EG use dotgolf, SG use OCS. To my knowledge, all the databases are completely separate, which is why many of the cross-border functions are lacking at present; although there is some functionality in England/Wales/Ireland as they use the same supplier.

English clubs use whatever ISV they choose; Scottish clubs generally use the SG provided OCS system, but may purchase and use a different ISV system.

Surely this should have been thought of pre implementation? Bizarre to me haha.

wjemather

Visit site
Surely this should have been thought of pre implementation? Bizarre to me haha.
It was, but there would probably have been a delay of several years while all the different data regulations that apply in different countries were accounted for; and a near permanent one if attempts were made to negotiate a single global supplier.

At a more local level, why CONGU unions didn't cooperate and choose a single supplier and even a shared database is a (probably political) mystery.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I am hoping someone might have the answer for this since I have asked both clubs and both don’t know why it won’t work.

My home club is in England, my second club is in Scotland, has anybody had any success pre registering a row on HowdidIdo app?

My handicap is on the app, aswell as my CDH number & both clubs are linked correctly, but whenever I play the course in Scotland it says “Failed as I need a valid CDH id number”

Also no course in Scotland that we have played can find my handicap on the system when checking my CDH, which is an issue when me and my partner enter open comps in Scotland (but it shows on England golf, and my home club can find me)

Anybody experienced this or have any suggestions? Both clubs I am at have no idea why it happens as my CDH is on the app etc.

Thanks
Are you telling the clubs in Scotland that it's an English CDH number, they need to search in a different field for that.

Also yes a Scottish CDH is different to an English one, so if you have a club in Scotland they need to issue a Scottish CDH even if they are not your "home" club.

Yorkhacker

Visit site
Are you telling the clubs in Scotland that it's an English CDH number, they need to search in a different field for that.

Also yes a Scottish CDH is different to an English one, so if you have a club in Scotland they need to issue a Scottish CDH even if they are not your "home" club.

This is my understanding. I play with a guy who is a member here and also a member of St Andrews Links. He has 2 CDH Numbers and when he plays a comp here he has to upload his score to his Scottish CDH as well. For some reason he has to wait 90 minutes before he can do it. I believe it is the same for Ireland too. Apparently it will take a couple of years to bring them in line