Mullins AG Fitting New Malden

mullinsbeachbar

Medal Winner
Visit site
After reading Oddsocks post there is not a lot left to say! Great write up!

Firstly I was really impressed by the store. The size , layout and especially the new custom fit bay. I've had some really bad customer service in AG over the years and had actually stopped using them, so was looking forward to seeing what they could offer.

My old driver was a Cobra Speed LD (the one that made the horrible noise) and I'd been looking at changing it since last year for a while. I have a very high ball flight (some pilot error to blame!) and wanted something that was more penetrating.

The fitting process was exactly the same as Oddsocks. It started with me hitting own driver on the launch monitor to get some stats on what I was currently using and allow Zee to see my swing.

I was averaging 245 carry with 25-30 yards roll out, but as I already knew the ball flight was very high. Spin was around 3500 which surprised me as I was expecting higher. SS was 110

We then headed into the store to pick some clubs to demo, ended up with the following 6;

Taylormade RBZ
Taylormade R11s
Nike VRS
PIng G20
Callaway razr x black
Yonex Ezone
(all 9.5 stiff shafts)

Went out onto the range and quickly eliminated the R11s, Yonex and Nike and was left with the RBZ, G20 and Razr x black. I was hitting them all well but was leaning towards the Callaway.

After hitting a few more balls I was pretty confident that the Callaway was the one. I was hitting it better than the others, the ball flight was perfect and it was long and straight.

Zee, Oddsocks and Paul agreed so we headed back inside to the launch monitor to look at the numbers.

The launch monitor confirmed what I thought on the range. The Callaway was the one. 255 carry with 25-30 yards roll out, great trajectory and dispersion. Spin was between 2200-2400. The G20's stats were good, but the ball flight was far too high, spin was above 3500. I didn't really like the feel of the RBZ although the stats were ok.

I had not been custom fitted before and I really enjoyed the whole experience. Having now been through the fitting process, and in complete agreement with Oddsocks, it's the only way I would spend money on clubs.

AG have got it spot on at the New Malden store, and if they can replicate the experience across their other stores, I think they will do very well.

Thanks again to American Golf & Golf Monthly for the opportunity. I'll keep the forum updated with how it performs on the course!

connor

Tour Rookie
Visit site
ive never even considered any of this whilst looking at buying a driver i worked on the principal if it went well enough buy it. Struggling at the mo with my driver with inconsitent hits and a big slice at times. Thinking about a higher loft might go and get properly measured up for it

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
congratulations, The Razr X Black looks nice- what was the shaft you went for? I assume it was the stock one as you seemed to be hitting it well from the off?

mullinsbeachbar

Medal Winner
Visit site
Went with stock shaft, Fujikura Motore F8 Graphite Shaft Stiff (60g). I was hitting so well I didn't look at any others.

I've already seen an improvement in my driving. I had a couple of bad shots at The Addington, apart from those bad shots my driving was really good, long and with a soft draw. The problem was the putter, far to many 3 putts. Oddsocks gave me a putt on the 11th, I choose to put it and missed it, and then missed the one coming back!! As I was selected for the driver fitting, I guess that kinda rules me out for a putting fitting!!;)

I played 9 holes yesterday afternoon and hit every fairway. Let's hope it lasts!!...

mullinsbeachbar

Medal Winner
Visit site
My short game has really improved recently, I was just having a bad day with the putter. My pitching was excellent (Oddsocks can back this up!) I was knocking everything close and then missing the putts....very frustrating!...

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So, what is the Holy Grail of launch angle and spin?

There is no such thing!

It all depends on the individual. Ball speed is a more important factor.

Agree there is no "one size fits all" for launch angle and spin. Generally speaking, the less ball speed you have the higher you want to launch it.

Someone posted a link to an article a couple of days ago which related the 2.

11-12° is great if you swing at 110mph or more, but *most* average golfers would benefit from 16-17° launch angle.