Mud ball

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
If mud is on the ball (not on fairway) can it be removed provided ball is not moved at all?

Say loose mud came to sit on top can you simply lift it off?

And secondly, if it was slightly stuck on could it be picked off provided ball doesn't move , or move of its axis?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not if the mud is adhering to the ball.
Yes, if the mud is not adhering to the ball.
No, because the mud is adhering to the ball.

salfordlad

Visit site
Not if the mud is adhering to the ball.
Yes, if the mud is not adhering to the ball.
No, because the mud is adhering to the ball.
I'd add mud on the ball but not adhering is uncommon. I suggest if the lightest touch on the mud (without moving the ball) did not move the mud, you have your answer - adhering. And if you want to take that risk, keep in mind there's a penalty if the ball moves.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Imo, for the vast majority of non-professional tour players, worrying about a bit of mud on the ball is like determining how many angels are dancing on the head of a pin. Just hit the ball, find the ball, and hit it again. A bit of mud won't make any difference to the outcome of the stroke.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cheers all for the answers.

I beg to differ though that a clump of mud stuck to the ball won't make any difference to most people's shots.

Bottom line unless it's loose and not stuck on don't bother , just the merest movement of the ball is a penalty?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Imo, for the vast majority of non-professional tour players, worrying about a bit of mud on the ball is like determining how many angels are dancing on the head of a pin. Just hit the ball, find the ball, and hit it again. A bit of mud won't make any difference to the outcome of the stroke.
I had to hit a number of mudballs yesterday. The mud absolutely does make a difference to how the ball travels, a big difference, but it is just part of winter golf. Hit it, suck it up. Better than not playing.

salfordlad

Visit site
Cheers all for the answers.

I beg to differ though that a clump of mud stuck to the ball won't make any difference to most people's shots.

Bottom line unless it's loose and not stuck on don't bother , just the merest movement of the ball is a penalty?
Correct if the ball has moved to any other spot either vertically or horizontally.

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site

100% played yesterday, par 5 155 rd to the centre of the green ball had a clump of mud on the side but was in the 1st cut so could not lift clean an place. Hit the best 7i of the day to about 10 feet ball never moved off line

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You're wrong actually! I had never seen it before until yesterday. I had a lie in the rough with mud on one side of the ball. Hit a perfectly normally pitching wedge, the ball went forward but then turned wildly left mid-flight! I always thought 'mud ball' was just an excuse until I saw it with my own eyes. ? And before you say it, I do not hook wedges like that, far more likely to hit a heely slice.

Swango1980

Visit site
That is a strange comment. If it were true, I wonder why clubs bother playing preferred lies over the winter? It is, at least in part, so players can clear their golf ball before hitting it. But what is the point, as most club golfers are not professional tour players.

Personally, I cannot hit a fade to save my life with an iron. The only time my ball has faded is on occasion when there was a big lump of mud on the ball. Sometimes it is even a big slice. I know there is no way my swing caused this. So, from my own practical experience mud can have a huge impact on the ball flight (and distance of the ball)