Moving from Electric to Push Trolleys

seochris

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Has anybody ever moved from an electric trolley to a lightweight push trolley? If so what was your experience. I don't want to go out and spend over a 100 quid to find out it was a mistake....

I have a Motocaddy M3 Pro with lithium battery and its sort of becoming a bit of a chore to set it up and take it down every time i play so was thinking of getting one of those lightweight push trolleys that seem very easy to maneuver compared to the electric one. The courses I play on these days are quite firm so a push trolley should roll reasonably well...

Maybe i should lighten the bag a bit....:mmm:

Any views and would welcome peoples experiences?

stevench

Club Champion
Visit site
I switched from the GoKart to a clicgear 3.5 and I don't regret it one bit.
I was tired of having to ensure I charged the battery everytime and whilst it might sound trivial it was just something else to think about and can potentially be a show stopper if you have a heavy cart bag and no battery.
I also wanted to have the flexibility of all of the attachments and extras... the net,compartments, higher umbrella holder and cart bag cozy made it an even better experience for my stand bag on there.

Don't get me wrong there are definitley times where I miss the electric but I appreciate the simplicity more.

Av-it

Visit site
Got rid of my electric after battery fail then switch gear fail :angry:

Have an iCart Uno 3 wheeler from ag now. Very easy to use, even on the more challenging terrain. Can't see any reason why I would go back.

:cheers:

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have you checked that your electric trolley can't be used to freewheel? Without the battery its normally not too heavy so may be OK to use as a push trolley. Might be worth a go to see if you fancy making the jump before spending £100.

Or just hire one the next time you play, usually £3/£5 for the hire of a push trolley. Its better to try it before you buy it.

I use a Push Trolley and find it fine. The only issue is, as its so light a little gust of wind if its on a hill can cause stability issues...even when the brake is on. :p

steadyeddy

Medal Winner
Visit site
I had used a stewart golf remote trolley for 10 years or so and decided last year to try a push trolley so looked around a bought a stewart golf push trolley. I've found it great so this year sold the electric remote trolley and haven't looked back. Just make sure you buy a 3 wheeler and not one of the 2 wheel trolleys most golf clubs rent out.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've a clic 3.0 and a motorcade s1 pro....

Haven't used the clic since I got it.

Battery always goes on charge when I get home; whilst the battery could remain on board when folded I remove it at the point of putting the gear in the car and refit on the reverse (if the rest of the gears staying in the car it works even better that way.)

What I sometimes forget to charge is the skycaddie - or leave it in the car...so being able to run it direct from the trolley helps no end!

Clic is a different shape but overall the take down/put up is almost the same as the s1.

But it's obviously horses for courses.

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
for me, if you're playing somewhere with hills take the electric, i have a push trolley and its easier to carry around my course than push the damn thing. somewhere flat i reckon I'd use the push trolley. I'm with the others suggesting that you see if you have a free wheel option with your electric to see how you find it before dropping a hundred.

Tab373

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I have a clic gear 3.5 and it a great push trolley I struggle with it on the last few holes as the 16th and 17th are up hill. I’m tempted to actually get rid for a electric trolley as I’m sure it would save me a shot or two.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
just moved to an electric this year and wont be going back.

i have to remind myself i dont need to keep hold of it and just let it roll along beside me.

bliss.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
As don’t golf frequently at the moment I don’t miss it a huge amount. If I was back playing 18 twice a week then it would be a nice to have.

It’s not an essential, a trolley is, but electric is a nice thing to have if you can afford it.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a Motocaddy S1 electric and a M1 push trolley, my personal preference is electric due to ease of use, however I do use the M1 push quiet a lot but our course changes levels a lot so electric is easier. I would say there is very little difference in effort/time taken to assemble/disassemble either one.

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've a clic 3.0 and a motorcade s1 pro....

Haven't used the clic since I got it.

Battery always goes on charge when I get home; whilst the battery could remain on board when folded I remove it at the point of putting the gear in the car and refit on the reverse (if the rest of the gears staying in the car it works even better that way.)

What I sometimes forget to charge is the skycaddie - or leave it in the car...so being able to run it direct from the trolley helps no end!

Clic is a different shape but overall the take down/put up is almost the same as the s1.

But it's obviously horses for courses.

Same here. I have the Powakaddy fw3i. The battery simply clips in and out and is roughly the size of an A4 piece of paper and about 2 inches thick. I unclip it after the round and thats the only thing I take back in to the house. All my other gear stays in the car

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I too have both an electric (Motocsddy M) and a push trolley (Motocaddy s1 lite)

I haven't used the push one for a couple of years. Found it was OK if playing a firm flat course (with a light bag) but quite hard going up hills or when the grounds soft

If in the winter I don't fancy getting my electric one muddy I prefer to carry

Yeah I too sometimes I forget to charge my battery after a round but, as it's lithium, a quick blast before playing does the trick

Honestly I never even think about using the push one any more

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not quite an answer to the op, but...
I recently had to buy a new trolley, and pondered long and hard about getting electric. In the end, I decided to get another push because the exercise I get from pushing it up hills is about the only strength and conditioning I get all week. Don't want the legs to waste away in my dotage...

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I was recently in the market for a trolley and was 50/50 between a power or push trolley. I didn’t want the hassell of charging etc so when pushed based on the layout of my course. Had it been exceptionally hilly it would have been a no brainer.

Maybe try and borrow a decent push. I cannot recommends the cube from motocaddy enough. Well made folds small and very light.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I had an electric for about a year.
The course I was playing wasn't really hilly enough to warrant it, just 1 minor pull up a slope to a tee otherwise gently undulating.
So I ot a pusher.
Unless a course I play regularly was quite hilly I wouldn't change. Probably because of the charging element, partly the cost.
Even playing courses like West Hill last week, I didn't feel the need for an electric.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It’s hardly an imposition to plug in a battery when you get home. Mine sits on a shelf next to the bag rack in the garage.

I totally agree. Mine sits in the utility room and I simply pack it into the car as I go out of the utility door. I have a large cart bag and especially in winter it can be heavy with waterproofs, spare towels etc and I wouldn't want to push that. Having made the switch from carry to electric I wouldn't consider going back to that middle ground of pushing. The trolley lives in the boot so simply a case of putting the clubs and battery in. I think I's actually feel more tired if I pushed