New trolley required

TigerTime

Visit site
My push trolley has come to the end of it's life cycle it seems. The brake cable snapped and has now disappeared completely. The folding mechanism is broken to the point where I have to physically hold up the handle to stop it from flopping about the place and it's not ideal to move around. I'm not allowed per doctors orders to carry my bag around believe it or not! (I'm 32 ffs :D)

So looking to get a new trolley, was thinking I might go electric but can't decide if that is me just being lazy or not. Also on a relatively tight budget but would be willing to spend more if it was good value. So push or electric happy to take any recommendations people have.

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I think it depends on the course you play most often.
If it's fairly flat then a pusher will be fine.
Any real undulations and the electric comes into it's own
I'd hate to have a push trolley around my place..
Electrics won't come into your budget unless you're buying 2nd hand though.....

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Clic gear. Not cheap but almost bomb proof if you look after them. Only downside is when folded they still take up a lot of room in the car boot.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
The standard answer if you do go electric is Gokart. Cheaper than most, absolutely bombproof and brilliant customer service.

My MK 1 is 13 years old and still going strong. My 18 hole lithium battery is 7 years old and still good for at least 27 holes.

I'm hoping to be in a position to get the newer MK ii at the end of the year.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Push cart better than electric imo unless your course is particularly hilly. Electric just worth the trouble.
Have a look at folded size if boot space any limitation for you. Some fold very small. Some surprisingly big.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Go on ebay and buy yourself a Hillbilly electric trolley, if there's any question marks over the battery get a new one. You'll have change out of a hundred quid and a trolley that will not let you down.
Mine will do 36 holes on a standard lead acid battery.

Albo

Visit site
The standard answer if you do go electric is Gokart. Cheaper than most, absolutely bombproof and brilliant customer service.

My MK 1 is 13 years old and still going strong. My 18 hole lithium battery is 7 years old and still good for at least 27 holes.

I'm hoping to be in a position to get the newer MK ii at the end of the year.
My MKII most definitely wasn’t bomb proof. Far from it.
Battery gave out 3 times, just stopped switching on, sent it back, customer service was great, but a couple of weeks later it was gone again, again sent back, again fixed and again broke. After the 4th time I gave up. The clip that holds the frame together when folded also snapped off meaning I had to almost hold it like a baby to get it in and out of the car without it half springing open.
Maybe I was unlucky and in fairness over the 3 to 4 years I had it, it did a lot of mileage, but I ain’t going back for another one.
Everyone raves about the customer service, which is excellent, but I’d rather buy something that lasted and didn’t require my dealing as much with the customer service in the first place

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
My MKII most definitely wasn’t bomb proof. Far from it.
Battery gave out 3 times, just stopped switching on, sent it back, customer service was great, but a couple of weeks later it was gone again, again sent back, again fixed and again broke. After the 4th time I gave up. The clip that holds the frame together when folded also snapped off meaning I had to almost hold it like a baby to get it in and out of the car without it half springing open.
Maybe I was unlucky and in fairness over the 3 to 4 years I had it, it did a lot of mileage, but I ain’t going back for another one.
Everyone raves about the customer service, which is excellent, but I’d rather buy something that lasted and didn’t require my dealing as much with the customer service in the first place
Sorry to hear about your issues. My experience is more like that of @Golfnut1957 . My GoKart is of a similar age and still going strong.
I would say that if you are going electric, go for a Lithium battery. Lasts longer and is sooo much lighter.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Clic gear. Not cheap but almost bomb proof if you look after them. Only downside is when folded they still take up a lot of room in the car boot.

Not sure if the still do the Rovic model that I have, same Clicgear bomb proof quality but folds up a lot smaller and was a lot cheaper as well.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not sure if the still do the Rovic model that I have, same Clicgear bomb proof quality but folds up a lot smaller and was a lot cheaper as well.
I've had my Rovic RV1C nearly 3 years. A couple of screws fell out of it last year but I just replaced them with the equivalent from B&Q and it's still going strong. :D

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think it depends on the course you play most often.
If it's fairly flat then a pusher will be fine.
Any real undulations and the electric comes into it's own
I'd hate to have a push trolley around my place..
Electrics won't come into your budget unless you're buying 2nd hand though.....

Second this, i used to have electric however when I joined my current club I noticed the hills aren't as harsh only 3 real massive pushes so found it a lot easier (lifting in out the boot especially) to just go to a simple push trolly

Albo

Visit site
Sorry to hear about your issues. My experience is more like that of @Golfnut1957 . My GoKart is of a similar age and still going strong.
I would say that if you are going electric, go for a Lithium battery. Lasts longer and is sooo much lighter.
Yep, just one of those things.
I’m not saying don’t go GoKart more adding a balance based on my experience.
Regardless of make, electric is the way forward in my opinion

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Druid golf seem to be cheapest click gear style 3 wheel push trolley these days (going back a couple of month). I don’t think it matters what type of course you are on to feel the benefit of electric though. I used a push one while mine was in for a service and I was pleased to have it back.

I’d potentially stick with motocaddy or powakaddy as you’ll find most places will service them or you’ll find the parts online.

My advice though is don’t listen to the gimmicks. The bottom end trollies from both manufacturers have less parts to go wrong, cheaper to maintain should you have to and their simplicity makes them a pleasure to use.

Albo

Visit site
Druid golf seem to be cheapest click gear style 3 wheel push trolley these days (going back a couple of month). I don’t think it matters what type of course you are on to feel the benefit of electric though. I used a push one while mine was in for a service and I was pleased to have it back.

I’d potentially stick with motocaddy or powakaddy as you’ll find most places will service them or you’ll find the parts online.

My advice though is don’t listen to the gimmicks. The bottom end trollies from both manufacturers have less parts to go wrong, cheaper to maintain should you have to and their simplicity makes them a pleasure to use.
I agree fully with the gimmicks.
I have GPS on phone via Arccos, my watch, and my range finder (has both normal range finder abilities but also a gos overview of the hole to the side of the viewfinder) so having GPS on my trolly too was just not needed

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I agree fully with the gimmicks.
I have GPS on phone via Arccos, my watch, and my range finder (has both normal range finder abilities but also a gos overview of the hole to the side of the viewfinder) so having GPS on my trolly too was just not needed
Yep I had electronic braking on my old trolly and it just trashed the gear box quicker.