Most difficult course you have played?

• Thread starter Deleted member 23270
  • Start date

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I was at Bonville in 2016... agreed it was very tough, esp with rented clubs! :) Got some cousins in Coff's Harbour, might be going back this Christmas.

But I'll see Bonville and raise you Ko'olau. It's quite crazy! Miss fairway is a lost ball....off first cut is lateral hazard on most holes as remember.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Pinner Hill - although I haven't played it since I was off 22 or something. But I never had a good round there. It felt really long, probably due to the slightly longer holes all seemingly being uphill, and the fact that's there not really any nice short, easy par 3s to break it up. Now that I think of it, as well as being off a higher handicap it was also in the days before I replaced my long irons with hybrids so it's no wonder I struggled. I would like to go back there again this year and see if I do better these days.

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was at Bonville in 2016... agreed it was very tough, esp with rented clubs! :) Got some cousins in Coff's Harbour, might be going back this Christmas.

But I'll see Bonville and raise you Ko'olau. It's quite crazy! Miss fairway is a lost ball....off first cut is lateral hazard on most holes as remember.

Coffs is such a great place, I could happily get on the Emirates A380 right now and head for Brisbane.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Glasgow Gailles.

Long course, albeit you might get a bit of run at the right part of the season, but increased levels of rough.

But the absolute killer is the double bunkering as well as some deep fairway bunkering that is effectively a lost shot.

Perhaps if you were playing it every week you'd work things out, but for me, it's the type of course that would totally expose a weak player who was 'getting it round' at their home course every week.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The Old Course in a storm...(it felt like a hurricane as standing vertical was a bit tricky - but it probably wasn't and it may have been the whisky from the night before that was the root cause of that issue). In calm conditions - probably Wentworth West or Royal Birkdale.

D

Deleted member 21258

Royal St Davids, it is just so unrelenting. Long and hard even without wind.

Then probably Royal Birkdale due to run offs into bunkers(wife had a mare).

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
TPC Tampa off the championship tees. Just as well I was driving it awesome that day - was playing with a former NFL wide receiver friend who wished he had never agreed to go back to those tees.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
The V Club in Lithuania.

we had hired clubs and was hung-over.

I want to go back, take my own clubs and not drink quite so much to see if it's any easier

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
My old course, Willow Valley.

Broke 90 once I think, most of the time I would struggle to break 100.

Still loved playing it though, even though it beat me up everytime I played it. In one particular medal, I started par, 12, 11. Game over by the 4th tee.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Burnham and Berrow when the wind is blowing and there are not many days when it is not.

I did once manage a 6 over gross, the only time I played to my handicap.