More Power

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I played in our invitation day on Saturday knowing we'd no chance of getting even close. Why? Glad you've asked. My mate plays off 28, although as I told my mate from the club playing with us, on the first tee he can't really do that. So by the time we'd tee'd off the 9th and my mate had just cleared the first green below it, my mate (club) said I can see now. His swing speed is about "15 miles an hour", slight exageration. It's bonkers really, he hits it well with his hydrids and irons, usually. Just is massively short off the tee. One think I've noticed is that he stands way too close to the ball, yes yes I did do the joke with him on Saturday,......after he's hit it. I realised this is why he is "all arms", as I and others have told him. He has got no room for his body to turn, so his brain then brings in his arms very tight to his body and the club is VERY steep. The ball goes up but not very far and with no power. Also, I noticed, and get this, he hold the club at the bottom of the grip near the shaft!!!!!!! I asked him about this and he didn't even realise he was doing this. Good grief! He is starting to realise things aren't right and has been going to the range to try things, he's told me, but if he's doing the wrong things he's not going to help himself. Yes, we've all told him to get a lesson, Jesus he needs 6 months of lessons, and he keeps on telling me when we meet up he's going to have a lesson, but never does. He even suggested that I play with someone else at our invitation day as I'd do a lot better. As I told him, he's my mate so there's no way I'd play with anyone else!
How can I get him to actually sort himself out?

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Well, it's up to him, though, isn't it? I mean, if he is feeling okay with his length off the tee and the way he is hitting it, then what's it to you? And if he is not, then he is going to get a lesson sooner or later. If you value your friendship, don't try to teach him (unless he explicitely asks you for advice on something) or to talk him into getting lessons. If you want to play with him, great. If you want to win, maybe find another partner for events where that is important to you. But don't try to change his game for him. That's bound to fail. Concentrate on your own game and let him meddle with his.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Maybe the driver just isn't for him at this stage, some people find it too long and unwieldy. What's he like with the 3 wood off the tee? That might be the better option for the time being.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Maybe the driver just isn't for him at this stage, some people find it too long and unwieldy. What's he like with the 3 wood off the tee? That might be the better option for the time being.

:D Hmmm maybe, he's only been playing over 20 odd years. LOL !

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well maybe the driver isn't for him full stop! But for 'this stage' I guess I meant prior to having any lessons in using it.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've always struggled for distance off the tee, partly due to a damaged left shoulder and a weak high fade finishing it off. I was really suffering earlier this season and then made a few changes. Shortened my stance, gripped the club lower down and slowed my backswing down. Within weeks I had dropped two shots, added about 30 yards in distance and was finding more fairways.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Maybe his driver is just too long for him

I lopped a couple inches off my old driver before I ever had any confidence with it (its unreal how much more control you get in return) I upgraded the driver last year but kept this one full size and instead I hold the grip well down

(Just had a misbehaving fairway club shortened by 5cm too and its and transformed it into something like a hybrid sized club with a FW sized head, first outing with it yesterday was really good)

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Playing with someone better who is competitive can be intimidating

If I were you I'd either:

- leave things as they are and enjoy it for what it is
- encourage him to take lessons

Teaching him yourself may only put more pressure on him to improve/perform, and although well intentioned, may cause more harm than good

I'd see if your Pro does a dual lesson deal (2 people sharing a lesson) and do it with him (even though you may not need it).
This might make him more comfortable as first lessons can be daunting for poorer players - particularly if they are embarassed by their swing, and especially if they've been that way for 20+ years!

If the pro is any good I'm sure your friend would then take up further lessons on his own once he's over the initial hurdle and realises that lessons aren't that bad!

Good luck either way :thup:

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is he bothered about it or is it you that's bothered about it? I would have thought that if he was that bothered about it he'd have taken the advice and had a lesson, maybe he's just happy to play golf.

D

Deleted member 15344

Have you actually asked him if he would to improve his ability with the driver ? If he does the last thing he needs is unqualified advice - going to the range and getting tips of mates is the first step to adding in further faults. So if you do want to help him improve step away from trying to coach him and tell him to go to a pro or if he doesn't want to spend money then watch some videos or read manuals etc

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
If he's not getting it right by himself, and he is trying to put it right, he needs a pro, not you. "Oh look, I have a water leak in the bathroom. Let's get a bus conductor in." I know it sounds a little blunt but you could do more harm than good.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Lets relax. He plays off 28. Any tip that may improve him is worth the risk.

Its not exactly dismantling martin kaymer's swing. :rofl:

Double lesson idea is worth it if you can convince him.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If he has any inclination to improve and to build speed and get more power he'd need to so with PGA tuition to get the best results imo. Maybe he feels intimidated, and a joint lesson wouldn't help. Sit him down over a drink, ask what he wants from his golf and explain that to get any improvement he'll need help and lessons are the only realistic way forward

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Have you ever gone to the range with him?

Could do worse than listening to some basic set up and swing tips over a bucket of balls. absolutely nothing to lose.

Some people really don't want to spend £50 an hour on golf lessons. They may not mind buying a few buckets of balls and seeing if they can improve that way.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Have you ever gone to the range with him?

Could do worse than listening to some basic set up and swing tips over a bucket of balls. absolutely nothing to lose.

Some people really don't want to spend £50 an hour on golf lessons. They may not mind buying a few buckets of balls and seeing if they can improve that way.

Good advice, if he's a proper mate then he'll not mind a mate offering a bit of friendly advice... :thup: