More Power

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sometimes you can help too much

As someone who struggled on 28 for ages with lessons there was nothing more annoying than low handicappers who found the game easier to get than I did giving me tips or picking faults in my swing I was trying to iron out myself with my pro

Avoided playing with certain people until I got to a level that I thought they would leave me alone

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Lets relax. He plays off 28. Any tip that may improve him is worth the risk.

Its not exactly dismantling martin kaymer's swing. :rofl:

Double lesson idea is worth it if you can convince him.

Great replies everyone, but I think this one is on the money. He's been going to the range recently, so he tells me, to try and sort something out without any clue what he needs to do or how to sort it out. I didn't notice any difference to anything he's been doing for the last 20 years. I've been telling him for years to go and see a Pro to sort his driver out, at least if he could get 200 meters off the tee it would help so much. So his latest admission that he's going to the range has given me hope and I'm damn sure I certainly couldn't do any damage. I've coached my wife from scratch and she could out drive him by 20 meters easy.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Great replies everyone, but I think this one is on the money.

No offence but it seems you've ignored the majority of the advice and cherry picked the bit of an answer which matched what you were going to do anyway

It's a lot easier teaching someone who is a complete beginner than teaching someone who has 20 year habits to break.

This 👆

Double lesson idea is worth it if you can convince him.

👆 Do it. THEN help him on the range to work on the correct things identified from the lesson :thup: :thup:

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well, we had an interesting session of the range this morning. After me and another mate watched his swing intently the big thing we noticed was that he collapsed his left arm on the take a way. I tried a couple of excercises with him to attempt to correct, why isn't there a spell check? On his practice swing it seemed ok but put a ball down and the arm collapsed EVERY TIME. So we new what his (major) problem was it's just we had no idea how to help. Other problems were that he choked down of EVERY club, even driver!!!!!, and I thought he stood too close to the ball. I've got a video which I'll post tomorrow. I'm off to do Karaoke. See Ya later !!!!:D

YamiKuriboh

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You should video his swing and post it up in slow motion for sone expert feedback.

if he's standing extremely close to the ball, choking down might be the only way he can hit the ball!

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
You should video his swing and post it up in slow motion for sone expert feedback.

if he's standing extremely close to the ball, choking down might be the only way he can hit the ball!

I've got it on video, just need to figure out how (find the time) to post it on here. I'll have a go tonight.