Monty's Major

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
All this talk about the start of the season has really got the juices flowing - wish it wasn't still January!
But it has made me wonder whether 2007 could possibly, just possibly be Monty's year...I already know the answer but anyone think he can do it?!

Severiano798488

Club Champion
Visit site
I'd love to say yes but I really can't see it. The US Open last year was his last chance. I hate to say it, but even his Ryder Cup performance was a bit disappointing - though only by his own lofty standards in that event

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
But (this is my heart not my head) he does keep getting himself in positions...tiger might miss a Major or two this year with baby issues and the big man might get lucky with a richochet of epic proportions and a final hole collapse from someone else...!

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
What is so important about Monty winning a Major. Being top of the Order-of-Merit on the European tour 7 time in a row, is to my mind just as good, if not better.

Severiano798488

Club Champion
Visit site
Fair point Dave, but I bet he'd swap those titles for a Green Jacket or a Claret Jug

People seem to remember the Majors more than anything else. When you think of Greg Norman, do you mainly remember him topping the US Money List a few times or do you remember his numerous chokes in Majors? I remember Augusta 1996 against Faldo, playoff defeats in the 1989 Open and 1987 Masters and his defeat in the 1986 PGA the most, and that's despite his two Open titles.

I'm afraid Monty will mainly be remembered by mainstream sports fans for losing out in the Majors - most people who aren't big golf fans don't know what the Order of Merit is, but they know about the Masters, the Open and the US Open. Maybe not the USPGA though....

golfdonkey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm with you Seve. There's no way seven or even 15 Order of Merit titles can compare with winning a Major. Surely your name on one of those trophies means everything to a player - or should do. I think Monty still has it in him, but maybe he needs a bit of luck. He needs to shoot three 66s and go into the final round with a four-shot cushion.

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
If monty had a four shot cushion going into the last round we'd witness a blow out that would be painful to watch! He will only win a major is if he has four steady rounds and the players above him drop back on the final day-something we've seen a lot of in recent years. I don't think its ever going to happen- maybe a senior major but that’s about it!

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
Paul09 i got to agree with you - Mrs Doubtfire is going to end his golf days just a little unfulfilled but at least he will have a hot blonde on his arm at the time! (how does he do that?!)

chipin1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I would suggest that Monty's pulling power (and by this I don't mean heaving double-decker buses (although I'm sure he'd be pretty good at that)) is directly proportional to his cashflow. Therefore, I couldn't care less if Monty finishes his career a little unfulfilled.

Teetotal

Assistant Pro
Visit site
don't reckon the big lad's ever gonna do it now - he doens't have the edge. Playing in a major is a cut above any of the other tournaments and he don't have the mental side sorted. He's too old now anyway.