Monthly poll: what's your best-ever Club Championship finish?

What's your best-ever Club Championship finish?

• 1st

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • 2nd-3rd

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • 4th-10th

Votes: 16 28.1%
  • 11th-20th

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • 21st-40th

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • 41st-70th

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • 71st-100th

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 100th +

Votes: 3 5.3%

• Total voters

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Finished 12th i think at Forrester Park GC in 2012 which for me was a significant achievement over 2 medal rounds . Unfortunately I'm not able to compete in my club's Championships this year as i'm a golf weekend at Wensum Valley.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
One win and a couple of runner up finishes in years long gone by. Not competitive any more at this level, especially not at the current club where we have 2 ex pros and a couple of county players now and you'll need to be under par over 36 holes unless the wind really gets up

simplyme

Head Pro
Visit site
Finished 9th 3 seasons ago gross and 4th net overall, my best finish in them by far. It is very competitive and anyone that is single figures has a chance, as the course plays hard. It's over 36 holes and a superb day.

Devastated I am missing out this year as I will be on our family holiday :(

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Qualified for the h/c knockouts both times I've entered but lost in the first round both times. What that means in terms of the actual, scratch club champs I have no idea but I know I have been a long, long way from winning that.

alexbrownmp

Head Pro
Visit site
won it 6 times in a row including last year.

First time I broke the course record, and last year I broke my own course record and won by 15 clear shots with a total 14 under par over 54 holes.

Considered turning pro but I'm nowhere near the standard plus other intellectual pursuits consumed any free time.

Now I play mostly for fun and only turn up to win the board competitions which I tend to do every year.

/This is all a dream I had recently and wanted to share

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
How are you guys winning your club championships?? I'm guessing some of you don't go to knockout rounds??
Iv been to the quarter finals of the scratch knockout but as I'm at the higher end of the cat 1 guys when the draw comes out it always top v bottom qualifiers, I usually end up taking on one of the big guns, county pedigree players, I lost last year to a former scottish internationalist. Our champs are played over 2 qualifying rounds, 16 lowest scratch scores to to knockout.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Handicap league , but based on my gross I was also 4th in scratch category..... Was playing off 11.something at the time 👍

This I was 6/7 clear of 2nd in hc league and 3/4 behind scratch winner

Last edited:

GMAC88

Head Pro
Visit site
Our club is a 36 hole gross score. I was runner up last year, but had a McIlroy-esque blow up in the final 4 holes to lose by a couple!

Played the best golf I have ever played over the 36 holes, and carded a 72 in the morning in heavy rain.

Almost holed my tee shot at the par 4 13th round two, followed it with a carve and then a shank at 14! An old chap patted me on the back and told me I had it in the bag leaving the 16th tee, and I panicked! Finished bogey, bogey, double bogey and lost by a couple to a guy who had never won before, but had come as close on a number of occasions!

Paul_Stewart

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Won in 2006, 2013 and 2014. Was not eligible from 2007-2012 as had moved clubs so in theory have won the last three I've played in. But no-one's ever done a three-peat at our club so that's what I'm going for in July this year. :D

Svenska

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What's the highest handicap whose won the scratch club championship? A lad at our place has done it off 8 before. Shot two 72 gross's!!

Then a year later someone shot 63 gross and got course record. What a difference a year makes.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Manage to win ours in a 3 way sudden death play off.

Played over 36 holes over a weekend with a redraw after round one so lowest scores go off last.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
What are all these net prizes ?:confused: Club champs should be gross, 36 holes in my mind. Net prizes are just to get more entries aren't they ? We have stopped giving net prizes, good thing, and have a field limited to 42 players based on lowest handicaps.