MOI putters.?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I regularly play with three chaps who all have one of these " spaceship" putters.
They all can put better than me. Probably ( likely) cos they are better putters than I am, but I was wondering if it could be that these MOI putters make the task easier?
I have an Odyssey white hot #1.

What do you reckon to these MOIs? Anyone changed to them and found a marked improvement because of their specs?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have a myriad of styles from an Anser blade, a half moon milled face Odyssey # 9 and some big branding iron type putters including a Ping Sigma Wolverine and the Odyssey 2-ball Fang. Lets be perfectly honest, I Can make a few with any of them and I am also capable of missing from inside 2 feet with all of them. The bigger ones do offer a degree of stability and I do tend to prefer them as I can get a little loopy with the others

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
You can get used to any style of putter and how it performs but the high MOI styles do suit a player who creates little arc in their swing.
Do you miss right or left?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
You can get used to any style of putter and how it performs but the high MOI styles do suit a player who creates little arc in their swing.
Do you miss right or left?

Both, and the other 2 ways as well,!😀
Seriously, I don't miss consistently on one side or the other. Mostly I'm short, being a coward-
I realise in the final analysis that it's the player not the putter, but I just wondered if using one had changed many player's game for the better, enough to justify getting one.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Absolutely no doubt that once you have the putting basics sorted, have spent thousands of hours getting the concept of pace sorted, have cracked whatever green reading solution you favour to get the read right....there will be further benefits associated with getting the right tool for your developed style.
There are also massive benefits to fundamentally believing you have the right tool, and basics, dialled in distance and read!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
My 'advice' FWIW....Go find a store (AG?) that has a wide range of styles and spend some time trying them (all) out. A particular style is likely to feel comfortable and perform well. If it happens to be one of the 'spaceship' ones, then fine, but fine if it's not.

An alternative is to find a Pro (or elsewhere) who uses SAM Putting Lab. A session with this will identify tendency and allow a skilled operator to suggest the putter style or adjustment that is likely to 'counter fault'. Don't neglect a change of grip size either. Certainly helped my tendency to 'flap'! A recent purchase (collector, not desperation) also has grip aligned significantly anti-clockwise which feels like it will have a positive effect too.

Oh...Practice is a pretty good way to improve too!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I went back to my two ball fang on a whim in the Sunday roll up today from the Anser I'd been using. Was functional but not really making many and I haven't trusted my aimpoint reads for a few weeks. Got my old aimpoint charts out of the locker after nine and trusted those reads and rolled some great mid-distance putts and felt far more confident. I think sometimes it can just take something different, in my case more confidence in the reads, sometimes a few hours on a practice green or even a new putter to shake things up. As Imurg said you can learn to use anything and it can be more than just the club that needs sorting