Mizuno shaft fitting

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was in AG yesterday hitting a few more irons. they gave them to me with Dynamic Gold S300. Too stiff so they used the Mizuno trick shaft.
I'm definitely regular at 74 but anyone know how to interpret the rest. I know what the numbers represent but not how it affects the way you play and what factors you need of a shaft. Over 4 swings I was pretty consistent and they set up a JPX800 pro with a KBS shaft - horrible - felt dead:

Speed 74 (every time)
Tempo 6 (average)
Toedown 6
Kick angle 3
Release 8

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Based on those numbers, R300 sounds about right. 74mph is not terribly fast, but your release is late, so that tends to increase the stiffness needed. Even so, I doubt you would find S300 more playable than R300.

KBS are great shafts but feel different to Dynamic Gold and are not to everyone's liking. Likewise Project X.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ethan, the 74 surprised me. I usually hit a 7-i around 155 so thought it would be quicker.

Definitely don't hit well with S300. The clubs I tried on Friday at DG and on Sunday all had R300's, yesterday they just gave me S300's - AP2 are miles better with R300.

My current clubs have Rifle Lite 4.5, which I think is a bit too soft. I've not hit Dynamic Gold or KBS before this.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ethan, the 74 surprised me. I usually hit a 7-i around 155 so thought it would be quicker.

Definitely don't hit well with S300. The clubs I tried on Friday at DG and on Sunday all had R300's, yesterday they just gave me S300's - AP2 are miles better with R300.

My current clubs have Rifle Lite 4.5, which I think is a bit too soft. I've not hit Dynamic Gold or KBS before this.

The R300 are a wee bit stiffer, but not a lot, than Rifle 4.5, but are a good bit heavier and that might be what you need.

Although, Alvaro Quiros uses Rifle Lite shafts, but I think he uses 8.0 flex!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

What's that downwind, downhill and when you played in Colorado :D :D :D

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well, if the bonus comes in, I'm going to get a proper (not AG) fitting and see what comes.

Patrick I'll have you know I have hit a full-out, nailed on, sunday best, 7-i 185 and a 6-i 197 (once) - both measured on GPS - at sea level.

tbh it's more about dispersion, that's what's killing me

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Well, if the bonus comes in, I'm going to get a proper (not AG) fitting and see what comes.

Patrick I'll have you know I have hit a full-out, nailed on, sunday best, 7-i 185 and a 6-i 197 (once) - both measured on GPS - at sea level.

tbh it's more about dispersion, that's what's killing me

Should'nt that be 7-wood :D

Or was the green only 150 yards away and you thined it 185 :D

DCB

Visit site
Viscount,

I recently tried the Swing DNA equipment for the first time. having hit a few shots prior to using the DNA gizmo I felt that the shafts I was trialing, PX 5.5 and KBS were too stiff for me. I just wasn't loading the shaft properly. The DNA figures showed a slower swing speed and the fitter went off and brought back two of the recommendations for my swing based on the figures given.

One was fine, the other a Nippon felt too light for me. We tried another option then I was able to hit away to make up my own mind.

Clever bit of kit the Swing DNA analyser gizmo, it takes a lot of guess work out of the selection. In my case a change away from what had been my stock shaft the DG R300. Time will tell if a lighter, softer shaft is what I need, but results are promising so far. Had I gone in and done a fitting as of old, I'd have plumped for the DG R300 because that's what I thought suited me best. Wel;l it maybe did 10 years back, but not now apparently :D

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
thanks to lucan, this what it all means. still not sure how the other figures relate to shaft choice though.

The higher the tempo, the higher the swing speed, the stiffer the shafts you will require.

The toe down, kick and release factors are explained below.

Here's what the shaft optimizer is looking at:-

Clubhead Speed: - How fast the clubhead and shaft are moving during the swing.

Tempo: - How quickly the player transitions from the backswing to the downswing. 1 Being slow, 9 being very quick.

Shaft Toe Down: - A measure of the bowing of the shaft in a downward direction during the downswing. 1 Being very little bowing and toe down, 9 being a lot of bowing and toe down.

Shaft Kick Angle: - The amount of shaft forward bending during the downswing motion. 1 Being very little kick and 9 being a lot of kick in the shaft.

Release Factor: - How and when the clubhead and shaft are releasing during the downswing. Early release or "casting" results in a higher RF number. Late release results in a lower RF number.

A

Alex1975

Interesting stuff, need to find my numbers now.

Edit: found my numbers - Ouch ye my highest number is release factor :eek:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
My numbers were...
SS.84
Tempo. 4
Toe. 2
Kick. 4
Release. 4

Apparently fairly similar to a certain Mr Donald'numbers (ish!)

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
have had a look at 'Casting' in some of the 'how to . . .' websites. it seems that defining it is easy but they become rather wishy-washy on curing it.