Mizuno JPX850 Driver - The mutts...

LIG

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Well I certainly get zero marks for taking in all the details in the email informing me I'd been selected to test drive (groan!) the Mizuno JPX850 driver. Apparently I should've been giving you lot regular updates on how it was going and a final review. I feel like the real HJS - "Doh!":eek:

However, my review is a summary of the notes that I wrote after each round and range session.
The Mizuno JPX850 Driver

You may have seen my initial reaction on how the Mizuno JPX850 looks.
It’s blue-headed, white-shafted, black-faced and it’s SEXY! Its almost… “too sexy for my hands!!”:clap:

First swings
at the range, with setting in neutral – weights in the central track at positions 1 and 3 and loft at 10,5* – were quite disappointing. Change the settings to Draw and Low flight and a good swing produced a “boring” flight. Having been searching for a lower flight for quite some time this was very pleasing.:thup:

Competitive Golf
- The first two competitive rounds saw me hit further on several holes than ever before - including summer distances.:eek: In the middle of winter with soft turf this meant I was hitting approaches with one and two clubs less. A pity the rest of my game was not up to much, otherwise…:(

Back to the range
and results after a three-week lay-off were poor but this was due to the terrible state of my swing. The middle of the face or anywhere near it was foreign territory.:rofl: Once I had found a reasonable facsimile of my swing, I had a play with several different settings on the JPX850 and found that “draw” and position 2 was best for me.

The Next Comp
I was back with a reasonable swing and I achieved my Nirvana – 8 out of 8 drives with the Mizuno JPX850 were either a gentle draw or straight. Only one missed the fairway but even that was at average distance. Hitting into a strong wind was now easy – no need to “manufacture” a lower flight with swing compromises.

So, in summary the positives:

• Lovely sound off the face - I am happy to report that the Mizuno JPX850 driver gives a sound that is both pleasant to the ear and doesn’t sound like a Big Ben.
  • Looks Sexy!:cool:
  • Lower ball flight (or higher if you want! ) without changing swing – Iron swing, Driver swing, Same swing! :whoo:
  • Increased distance due to increased roll-out. Hit shorter irons into greens.:thup:
  • Adjustable for your swing on the day. Change the settings based on your swing that day and improve your driving and your scoring. (Haven’t done this fully yet.)
And the negatives:

• Not as forgiving as my old Cobra driver on really bad mis-hits but still goes.

I will definitely be keeping the JPX850 in the bag for the foreseeable future as it’s been revelation for my driving!
:thup::thup::thup:

Edit: Just realised the adjust for your swing on the day can be misread as during a round. That's NOT what I meant. I meant, on the range PRIOR to a round....of course!! :ears:

Last edited: