Mizuno 919 tour & MP-18

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Popped into my local AG today with the sole intention of comparing my old 850 forged vs the new 919 tour. Reviews had suggested the 919 tour were more like blades than cavities but I found them amazingly forgiving. My thought process was to get these in 7-PW with 4-6 in the forged but I actually found I hit the tours better than the forged’s - odd, I expected it to be the other way around.

Sure, the tours are weaker in loft but the chap pulled the set off the shelf and let me hit the 5 and 4 irons. Wow, I thought I’d struggle but was consistently hitting the 4i sweetly (24*) with a shade over 200 carry.

For giggles I had to have a go with the MP-18 blade, yup, in a 6 iron it was so easy to mishit it but hit half a dozen sweet and my god what a feeling! The 919 tour weren’t quite the same feeling but still incredible when you pure it.

I’ve made up my mind after months of deliberation. I’ll be booking a full custom fit very soon for the 919 tours.

Just thought I’d share...

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You’re having my dilemma but sounds like you’ve cracked it. I couldn’t believe how well I was hitting the 7 iron 919 Tour. I assumed it was the forged and the fitter said have a look.

But I also love the Mps, like the blades are probably a bridge too far but th SC I could defo see myself with.

Thank you for stirring the turmoil that is now constantly just beneath the surface ;)

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
You’re having my dilemma but sounds like you’ve cracked it. I couldn’t believe how well I was hitting the 7 iron 919 Tour. I assumed it was the forged and the fitter said have a look.

But I also love the Mps, like the blades are probably a bridge too far but th SC I could defo see myself with.

Thank you for stirring the turmoil that is now constantly just beneath the surface ;)
My next mission is to go to a different fitter and compare the MP-18 SC to the tours. There’s a couple of back to back reviews on YouTube and there’s all but a whisker in it apparently. I did have a quick look at the SC’s but the thicker top line had me preferring the tours.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I’ve been through the same with them tours there very good
I choose after a few weeks of hitting them both the mp 18 sc with a pw blade and a fli hi 4 iron
There gorgeous clubs i could hit them all day 👍

You’ve thrown a spanner in the works with a MP blade as a PW - I really like that idea. My wedges are RTX 3.0 which are very similar in design to the MP range 👍🏻

Dannyc

Visit site
Don’t let me put you off the tours mate there quality 😂
It was a very tough choice that took me a few weeks of going back to try them again with my fitter who was very good I also had the local driving range with both clubs thst u could try so I blagged them a bit saying I want buy a set from u 🙈
I just felt the sc were Better for me and there slightly more forgiving the 4 iron is going great and the blade is a lovely club
It basically came down to the merging at both ends and the looks
Good luck with your decision 😂👍

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Don’t let me put you off the tours mate there quality 😂
It was a very tough choice that took me a few weeks of going back to try them again with my fitter who was very good I also had the local driving range with both clubs thst u could try so I blagged them a bit saying I want buy a set from u 🙈
I just felt the sc were Better for me and there slightly more forgiving the 4 iron is going great and the blade is a lovely club
It basically came down to the merging at both ends and the looks
Good luck with your decision 😂👍

Cheers Danny, I’m going to do something similar, I want to see the ball flight for myself on a proper range rather than the sim at American golf. The only shaft options AG had were dynamic gold 120 & 105, I’d like to test a few others if possible but the DG s300 105 were consistent.

I’ll be doing the same as you, thoroughly testing before buying 👍🏻

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I think a second fit is wise, as I'm not entirely convinced with the consistency of AG.
Would you normally have 200 yards carry with a 4 iron?
i would have a look for a Mizuno fitting day somewhere. They have their own Trackmans and the guys are straight as, well the scottish one is, he wouldn't recommend anything that didn't suit you or show an improvement against your current clubs

Dannyc

Visit site
Cheers Danny, I’m going to do something similar, I want to see the ball flight for myself on a proper range rather than the sim at American golf. The only shaft options AG had were dynamic gold 120 & 105, I’d like to test a few others if possible but the DG s300 105 were consistent.

I’ll be doing the same as you, thoroughly testing before buying 👍🏻
Where u based?
I went to tour x in Wigan I would highly recommend nick
It’s 80 quid for a fitting which i know aint the cheapest but I was there for over 2 hours initially went back for a hour and then when I finally picked them up he let me go in a spare room on my own getting my distances etc 👍
It was over Xmas and December so he was a bit quiet good timing I thought

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Where u based?
It’s 80 quid for a fitting which i know aint the cheapest but I was there for over 2 hours initially went back for a hour and then when I finally picked them up he let me go in a spare room on my own getting my distances etc 👍

Was the fitting cost discounted off the purchase price of the irons ?

DCB

Visit site
i would have a look for a Mizuno fitting day somewhere. They have their own Trackmans and the guys are straight as, well the scottish one is, he wouldn't recommend anything that didn't suit you or show an improvement against your current clubs

Agreed, last two fits were carried out at Mizuno fitting days, Roland was the guy who did the fitting. No hard sell, just an honest appraisal of what I needed.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Not a fan of the finish on the jpx line myself, the mp18 sc are quite boxy looking and have a fairly thick top line. If it was me I'd go mp18 blade down to 6 or 5 iron and have 3 and 4 in the sc and probably a fli hi 2 iron

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I think a second fit is wise, as I'm not entirely convinced with the consistency of AG.
Would you normally have 200 yards carry with a 4 iron?
I am very sceptical of the simulators and that’s why I will definitely go to a fitting where there should a proper range. AG was mainly to see if I could strike the 919 tours well enough to consider getting them.

200 yard 4i is about right although the tour lifts are a little weak.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Where u based?

I’m down in Surrey, I’ve heard good things about Silvermere, each bay has a trackman and it’s a proper range where I can see ball flight.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Not a fan of the finish on the jpx line myself, the mp18 sc are quite boxy looking and have a fairly thick top line. If it was me I'd go mp18 blade down to 6 or 5 iron and have 3 and 4 in the sc and probably a fli hi 2 iron

I agree, aesthetically but I’m not good enough for blades 7-PW.

I know what you mean regarding the SC too like being chunky, it put me off a bit and why I really liked the look of the Tour from the top. 👍🏻