Mixed (Saturday) Golf

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
At my club they tried medals for all over the winter, the women didn't play so we went back to separate ones.
Now, winter medals have been binned due to covid and guidelines over travelling.

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We tried a multi tee competition a few months ago, with whites, yellows and reds for men and reds for ladies. Out of 163 players, 1 lady participated. There were 148 men off the whites, the vast majority of whom couldn't understand why they got 4 extra shots for competition purposes from the men playing off the reds (not that there were any). The lady was a bit confused because she only got 3 extra.

It was won with 43 points which should have been 44 but the chap picked up on a hole where he didn't think he had a shot. We haven't tried another one, but we still have a yellow (men)/red (ladies) tee Stableford on Saturdays, alongside the White tee competition. This attracts about 20 entries. Ladies get 3 additional shots, although it's rare that one enters.

D

Deleted member 29109

Can't see a problem with mixed comps as long as everyone pays the same membership fees. If handicaps are rated properly for each set of tees where is the issue?

Some people, weather they'll admit it or not just don't like change, and don't want to play with women. When I say women. I bet they'd be happy to play with Paige Spiranac.

If playing off different tees is considered unfair for whatever reason. One could easily argue the same about handicaps too. I could consider it unfair that someone who isn't as good as me, is allowed to win a competition with a score worse than mine!

Some people also seem to be confusing opinions with facts. A very modern problem.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Fine, but I'd dispute the 'many'! Yours and Nick's are the only ones i know of!
You can also add ours as having both men & women, with 4 or 5 tee-times blocked out between 8 to 9, playing on Sat, though in separate Comps & mixed Comps have been offered on some Sundays. I see that our men & lady's scores compare fairly well on CONGU & will be even more competitive on WHS as their Red tees are rated 72.1 Slope 134 compared to men's Whites at 71 Slope 126 Yellow 68.8 Slope 121. We've requested rating for men on Red & ladies on Yellow, though in fairness their Red is hard enough already.
So far the ladies want to run their own Comps on a Sat.

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We're running most of our comps over the winter as mixed tee and gender comps. Quite a few gents electing to play one tee forward of the medal tees, and a small number of the stronger ladies playing one tee back from the traditional ladies red tees.

The handicaps and strokes received are confusing to all and sundry especially when mixed in with the current WHS uncertainties but folks seem resigned to accepting what the computer says so they just get on with it.

The IG app works well for entering your gross scores at the end so what you have to do is pretty straightforward.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
groups of our ladies seem to be able to book tee times Saturday mornings - and other times - with no more ease or difficulty than the rest of us. On Saturdays the ladies don’t play in the gents optional stableford comp but can, if they wish, play in their own stableford comp. We also run plenty of mixed comps and comps where you can enter a four strong team comprising whatever mix of ladies and gents as you wish.

D

Deleted member 21258

I think it is a shame more mixed events/tees are not run, I would like to play off shorter tees if conditions are poor or off the back tees if the conditions are firm.

However personally I think, that all tee times should be generally open to all members and entry into competitions should be optional, rather than blocking out the tees from ladies or even from someone who doesn't want to play a comp round.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Major Herbert Ponsoby-Smythe (Ret) here. What is all this nonsense about women playing golf at weekends. They should be at home doing the housework and preparing my Gin and Tonic for when I return. Apart from that lovely young filly behind the bar - think I'm in there.

Anyway, moving on 100 years to 2020 - we run all our competitions at weekends as mixed events. The ladies play from red tees, the men from whites. They are in the same groups - absolutely no issue at all.

IanMcC

Visit site
Major Herbert Ponsoby-Smythe (Ret) here. What is all this nonsense about women playing golf at weekends. They should be at home doing the housework and preparing my Gin and Tonic for when I return. Apart from that lovely young filly behind the bar - think I'm in there.

Anyway, moving on 100 years to 2020 - we run all our competitions at weekends as mixed events. The ladies play from red tees, the men from whites. They are in the same groups - absolutely no issue at all.
Do you run them though ClubV1? If so, how do you achieve equity if par differs from course rating over both tees? ClubV1 does not adjust automatically yet.

D

Deleted member 1147

Any 7 day member can play any comp on a Saturday, except for the men’s club champs, as far as I’m aware

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Almost all of our weekend comps (usually Sunday in our case) are mixed events. The only ones I can think of that aren't are the mens club champs. I can't say I've heard anyone complain about it. Men get an extra shot for the comp due due SSS differences (old school - haven't checked differences in CR).

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I am not sure our ladies would want to be in the mens comps. We get say 170 men playing, and there are 5 tee times allocated for ladies to play on the day, either in their own comp, or just casual play.
So a one in 20 chance of winning, versus a one in 190 chance.
They also have their own boards, with their own history on them.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
My belief is that the entire competition structure at my club should be gender neutral and all competitions should be mixed. The only separation should be determined by the membership fee. Ie. You're either a 7 day member and can play in all competitions, or a 5 day member and can play in weekday competitions.

In reality, when the legislation for clubs kicked in, the ladies section were approached about having mixed competitions and the overwhelming response was that they wanted to keep ladies day and that their preference was for separate competitions. As such the ladies play competitions on Thursday and have the tee between 8 and 1. Ladies who are 7 day members who cant play during the day in the week , can play in the same competition, but on Saturday. So there are 2 tee times for the 7 day lady members in the middle of the gents completion. Ive only seen a 3 ball of lady members once on a Saturday and often it is just 2 playing in amongst field of 170+ .

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My belief is that the entire competition structure at my club should be gender neutral and all competitions should be mixed. The only separation should be determined by the membership fee. Ie. You're either a 7 day member and can play in all competitions, or a 5 day member and can play in weekday competitions.

In reality, when the legislation for clubs kicked in, the ladies section were approached about having mixed competitions and the overwhelming response was that they wanted to keep ladies day and that their preference was for separate competitions. As such the ladies play competitions on Thursday and have the tee between 8 and 1. Ladies who are 7 day members who cant play during the day in the week , can play in the same competition, but on Saturday. So there are 2 tee times for the 7 day lady members in the middle of the gents completion. Ive only seen a 3 ball of lady members once on a Saturday and often it is just 2 playing in amongst field of 170+ .
This is more or less what happened at my club.
The ladies wanted to stay as they were.
We have a very active membership and sometimes depending on daylight some members don’t get a tee time.
So there was some sort of agreement made that the ladies won’t play between the men’s comp and the men won’t play between the ladies.
But some ladies tee off early and some late so the course can be empty for hours.
Bit of a mess.
Can see the logic but seems we can’t get on together,
Our seniors champs is mixed and won by a lady golfer off 12.
She was the best on the day and deserved to win but said to me later “ not sure she wanted to be known as the SENIOR CHAMPION “
We have two midweek club comps open to anybody Wednesday and Thursday .

Last edited:

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
This is more or less what happened at my club.
The ladies wanted to stay as they were.
We have a very active membership and sometimes depending on daylight some members don’t get a tee time.
So there was some sort of agreement made that the ladies won’t play between the men’s comp and the men won’t play between the ladies.
But some ladies tee off early and some late so the course can be empty for hours.
Bit of a mess.
Can see the logic but seems we can’t get on together,
Our seniors champs is mixed and won by a lady golfer off 12.
She was the best on the day and deserved to win but said to me later “ not sure she wanted to be known as the SENIOR CHAMPION “
We have two midweek club comps open to anybody Wednesday and Thursday .

Does sound like they've attempted to make it inclusive then. If the ladies arent interested, then there's no need for change! Just a shame if there are any women who wish to play weekend comps, but you'll never please everyone!

sunshine

Visit site
Can't see a problem with mixed comps as long as everyone pays the same membership fees. If handicaps are rated properly for each set of tees where is the issue?

Some people, weather they'll admit it or not just don't like change, and don't want to play with women. When I say women. I bet they'd be happy to play with Paige Spiranac.

If playing off different tees is considered unfair for whatever reason. One could easily argue the same about handicaps too. I could consider it unfair that someone who isn't as good as me, is allowed to win a competition with a score worse than mine!

Some people also seem to be confusing opinions with facts. A very modern problem.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: brilliant

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does sound like they've attempted to make it inclusive then. If the ladies arent interested, then there's no need for change! Just a shame if there are any women who wish to play weekend comps, but you'll never please everyone!
We have two girls play for the county.
They go out after the last tee time in Saturday comp ( open to anyone not in the comp.)
They are fantastic golfers and great to watch , I play with them a bit as I know their dad.
What happened last year was we had about 20 ladies join.
Some wanted equal rights to the tees.
Most didn’t at least the ones I know.
But it got passed at agm.
They played about three comps then never bothered again.
The downside was the rest of the ladies didn’t want to give up Tuesday ladies day.
So this caused friction with male members who also wanted “ equality”
As the ladies could play 7 full days but men only 6 1/2.
So it went back to the way it used to be.
But the ladies now pay the same as the men as a consequence of this.
I think this is true of a lot of clubs , most around here anyway.