Mixed (Saturday) Golf

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why would they lose ladies day? All its doing is making weekends more inclusive. What about women who work in the week? :ROFLMAO:

Do you have a seniors day?
The counter to that was one male member worked on a Saturday but his day off was Tuesday and he could not get a tee time to play.
So if it’s inclusive that has to go for all 7 days.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why not have them as one single comp ? The processes and ability are there to allow everyone to play in the same competition- no need to separate because of sex.
If they did that would some of the older men be able to play off the reds.?
A lot don’t play anymore because of the length off the whites.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
My Club is discussing ways of opening Saturday competition to ladies. Every Saturday (outside winter) there is a (mens) competition of the white tees (90% stroke-play / 10% stableford). Questions that pop into my head are - if ladies are allowed to play in that. how do they do this and make it 'fair.' It has been suggested that there are precedents i.e. it is done at other Clubs.

Is this done at any other Club?

All our Stablefords and Medals are mixed...they have been for 20 years or more. Men play of Whites, Ladies off the Reds and Ladies get an additional shot to account for the fact that they play off a harder course.

The only Men Only comps are the Men's Club Championships, Scratch Salver, Men's Singles and Pairs Matchplay. Other than that...all weekend competitions are mixed events.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
The counter to that was one male member worked on a Saturday but his day off was Tuesday and he could not get a tee time to play.
So if it’s inclusive that has to go for all 7 days.

Why cant men just enter ladies day? No need to lose the name/ feel of the morning if its always been traditionally ladies and its successful. If its always been ladies, keep the tradition of promoting it to ladies, but make all parties accept there may be a few wringers (blokes) that play due to their personal circumstances - and vice versa on weekend rounds! Dont have to let the men be eligable for ladies board comps etc. But the weekly medal, why not?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why cant men just enter ladies day? No need to lose the name/ feel of the morning if its always been traditionally ladies and its successful. If its always been ladies, keep the tradition of promoting it to ladies, but make all parties accept there may be a few wringers (blokes) that play due to their personal circumstances - and vice versa on weekend rounds! Dont have to let the men be eligable for ladies board comps etc. But the weekly medal, why not?
Yes I agree but the ladies didn’t.

D

Deleted member 15344

If they did that would some of the older men be able to play off the reds.?
A lot don’t play anymore because of the length off the whites.

If the tees have been rated as such then yes there is no reason why not - that’s the whole idea of have gender free tees and having them rated for all if the club wishes

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why not have them as one single comp ? The processes and ability are there to allow everyone to play in the same competition- no need to separate because of sex.
I am not a fan of same comp, different tees. Forget gender, whites, yellows and reds offer different challenges that I don't believe truly are balanced out by the adjustments that are there. I appreciate they do exist, I just don't think they are fair. I think bringing all one under one comp would cause a good deal of grumpiness. Play at the same time but in different comps.

D

Deleted member 15344

I am not a fan of same comp, different tees. Forget gender, whites, yellows and reds offer different challenges that I don't believe truly are balanced out by the adjustments that are there. I appreciate they do exist, I just don't think they are fair. I think bringing all one under one comp would cause a good deal of grumpiness. Play at the same time but in different comps.
Then it’s not full inclusion then ?

Why are they not “fair” - we have systems in place to balance things out as best as they can , that’s the handicap system , it’s as fair as you can get

We have had it all under one comp for 5/6 years now with other competitions being mixed for a lot longer and certainly no extra “grumpiness” beyond “why can’t we play Tuesday etc etc”

The results have been no different than what you would expect from a handicap competition- no one has an advantage or disadvantage

It allows a club to say to prospective lady members who do work - you can be treated the same as all our men at the weekend.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If the tees have been rated as such then yes there is no reason why not - that’s the whole idea of have gender free tees and having them rated for all if the club wishes
Thank for the reply ,That’s what I thought.
I can see this being a problem for some clubs with small red tees .
A lot of older / shorter members will start using the red tees as they struggle with some of the carries off the whites.
But there isn’t much difference between our whites and yellows on a lot of holes.
New red tees may have to be constructed to make sure they don’t get hammered.
There has been to much emphasis on length by golf courses in recent years.
Most ams just want a nice length to enjoy their golf.
Will be interesting this / next year.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Then it’s not full inclusion then ?

Why are they not “fair” - we have systems in place to balance things out as best as they can , that’s the handicap system , it’s as fair as you can get

We have had it all under one comp for 5/6 years now with other competitions being mixed for a lot longer and certainly no extra “grumpiness” beyond “why can’t we play Tuesday etc etc”

The results have been no different than what you would expect from a handicap competition- no one has an advantage or disadvantage

It allows a club to say to prospective lady members who do work - you can be treated the same as all our men at the weekend.
You haven't read my reply fully or if you have you are ignoring parts of it. I stated that people should be able to book equally, no closed off tee times. That is inclusivity. My comment is that all can play at once but that different tees equal different comps.

You don't have to agree, you clearly wont, and I accept there are adjustments that are supposed to allow for this. It is my own opinion that the extra shots, between reds, whites or yellows in no way equal the challenge from each. Holes on many courses are changed significantly by different tee positions and I don't believe the adjustments can genuinely account for that. We are allowed to disagree.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
You haven't read my reply fully or if you have you are ignoring parts of it. I stated that people should be able to book equally, no closed off tee times. That is inclusivity. My comment is that all can play at once but that different tees equal different comps.

You don't have to agree, you clearly wont, and I accept there are adjustments that are supposed to allow for this. It is my own opinion that the extra shots, between reds, whites or yellows in no way equal the challenge from each. Holes on many courses are changed significantly by different tee positions and I don't believe the adjustments can genuinely account for that. We are allowed to disagree.

We are also allowed to ask you if there any facts available to back up your contentions.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We are also allowed to ask you if there any facts available to back up your contentions.
We have one hole where a wide ditch runs over the fairway at about 120 yds.
But the ladies tee is only 50 yds .
So it’s a longer carry for some older players.
Plus a good course architect visually intimidates you but from shorter tees not so much.
Given that can happen on most holes it’s a different course.
But the shot allowance does / dosnt make up for it adequately .
Think that’s what LT means!

IanMcC

Visit site
Theoretically, the Course Rating and Slope Rating should take care of any of the above grievances. I appreciate that one is entitled to a little scepticism though.

D

Deleted member 15344

But it’s not inclusive is it - yes you can play when we do but you must play in your own competition , that’s called segregation based on gender.

Different tees don’t mean different competitions at all - that’s why there are rules and processes in place to provide competition across various different tees to ensure full inclusivity

Do you have anything to back up that the competition can’t be fair from different tees ? Does your club do it so you have seen the results or are just making a blind guess ? I have seen the results and have seen that it getting balanced.

It’s not about “equally” the challenge on specific holes it’s about equally the challenge across the course as whole and people having a handicap to reflect that challenge depending on the tee they playing from - that’s the whole idea of getting tees rated for all.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They should stop making the times exclusive for Seniors, absolutely. It grates me enormously that on every bank holiday Monday I can't get out on my own course for the prime spots in the morning as the retired seniors have them exclusively to themselves.

I was just using this as an argument about (for) not stopping ladies morning.

We have actually gone to optional seniors comp Mondays except for team comps. One of the most noticeable things about the change is how many more players now play in the comp because there is no longer a restricted period of booking.

We do have another course where players can play when the main course is fully booked.